Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #21
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: LOTS of babysitting ??'s, both for parents & caregivers...contracts? PLS READ! lo

*What is a fair rate? Check on rates in your area, around here the daycare centers and home daycares charge $150-$160/wk. for full-time. I charge $110-$120/wk. for full-time and I'm not licensed.

*Do you have a contract? If so, could you *PLEASE* share it with me? (email is jbaskc@psci.net) Nope, we don't use a contract. I currently only watch 1 little boy, he's 20 months.
*Do you think there would be any problems with me EBF & CD'ing my ds & having another or 2? I wouldn't think so. Kolten is almost 2, he still nurses on occasion and is CDed. The little boy I watch is almost his age and I don't see anything wrong with it, neither does his mother.

*How many kids do you think is a good #? Same family/multiple families? I was watching 2 little girls for awhile and it was hard even watching 2 on top of my 2. I wouldn't suggest more than 2 extra. Also in our area, you can't have more than 4 extra in the house plus your own children, without being licensed.
*Do you or the parents provide the food? Do you charge extra if you do? I provide the meals, its included in part of the fee I charge.
*What kind of qualifications would you look for? Someone who has experience in childcare, prefer someone with children of their own, someone who will work with my kids on development (which I do here), someone who will take care of my kids like they're their own.
*Do pets make a difference? I don't have any indoors (right now, we put them out for the winter & to get adjusted to the new house, we may or may not bring them back in.) I don't think so. We have quite a few pets, both indoor and outdoor and it hasn't made a difference in parents' decision as of yet. I keep my house as tidy as possible in the living room/playroom where I keep the kids and my pets stay in a closed room behind a baby gate.
*Do you offer/expect structured/educational activities? Yes, I do and I provide those when I'm watching someone else's child.
*What do you do if they are vaxed & your baby is not? (ie protecting your child?) Ayden (the little boy I watch) is vaxed, he was in daycare for 6 months before I got him. Kolten is delayed vax, I don't think that makes a difference.
Anything else you think is important? Not off the top of my head, but good luck! As you stated above, with your depression issues, that would be a concern for me as a parent. If I was a provider, I would handle someone's children with complete caution if I had any mental issues as it can become very overwhelming!

Advertisement

Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #22
rebyell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: LOTS of babysitting ??'s, both for parents & caregivers...contracts? PLS READ! lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoSunshines View Post
Anything else you think is important? Not off the top of my head, but good luck! As you stated above, with your depression issues, that would be a concern for me as a parent. If I was a provider, I would handle someone's children with complete caution if I had any mental issues as it can become very overwhelming!

If the headscratch was directed at my post, this is all I was trying to say. I just felt that if I knew I was bi-polar, manic depressive, I am not sure that extra children would be the best thing for "me". They are not the same, but my sister has PPD and I KNOW she wouldnt be able to handle extra children.

If you have it under control with diet/meds, whatever, and are just concerned it would come out if you had to work out of home, then it would be a great way to stay home with your kids and make extra money for your famlily without having to leave your baby.

Last edited by rebyell; 05-04-2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: nak, spelling
rebyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #23
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

*What is a fair rate?
I am a daycare provider and I charge $30 a day, which is ridiculously cheap in my area. Our personal sitter(i also woh) gets $13 an hour and she's my BIL's preggo girlfriend.

*Do you have a contract? If so, could you *PLEASE* share it with me? (email is jbaskc@psci.net)
yep, I'd have to find it as this is dh's computer, not mine. I contract my daycare families, not our sitter.

*Do you think there would be any problems with me EBF & CD'ing my ds & having another or 2?
I had a licensed daycare when my second daughter was just 7 months old and EBF and cd'ed. I also had my older dd(5 at the time) and 4 other kiddos under age 5. It was difficult some days but totally do-able if you are orgainzed and PATIENT!

*How many kids do you think is a good #? Same family/multiple families?
Depends on age groups. You could totally do 6 2 year olds without too much issue. If you do babies, stick to 2 only. Same family is easier since they arrive and leave at the same time and you can get the day off easier. Multiple families is harder to coordinate and you never get a day off since someone will always need you but you never find yourself child-less because there's another family or two using you for care when one leaves.

*Do you or the parents provide the food? Do you charge extra if you do?
I provide food, except for formula and baby food.

*What kind of qualifications would you look for?
in a sitter/provider? cpr certified, similar parenting theories and styles, willing to be flexible with methods of dealing with my girls, and high energy. my girls are crazy busy and love doing things and going places. I need someone who can keep up with them and be willing to keep the 2 year old busy so she doesn't miss me as much. despite being 5 months preggo, our sitter takes them to the playground or walking on the bike path nearly constantly and is playing in the sandbox, etc with them

*Do pets make a difference? I don't have any indoors (right now, we put them out for the winter & to get adjusted to the new house, we may or may not bring them back in.)
Pets make some people nervous. We have a 9 month old kitten who has grown up accustomed to lots of kids picking him up and pulling his tail and whiskers. I let my parents decide for themselves after seeing my kids beat on the cat and dress him in baby clothing! Some people won't even consider you unless the pet is fully vaccinated or kept separated from the kids.

*Do you offer/expect structured/educational activities?
I offer them and expect them. I expect play-doh and coloring and cutting and glueing, just like I would do with my own kids. Sometimes it's as simple as making banana bread or as complex as a mother's day project lasting a week.

*What do you do if they are vaxed & your baby is not? (ie protecting your child?)
Well my kids are vaxed but I'm very careful germ-wise because my dd was a preemie. They are both on delayed vax schedules and my parents are screened carefully and for vax appts, they are to make them on Fridays so that the kids have all weekend to react in their parents' presence(instead of mine. SCARY!) or to get sick and infect my kids. It's not to be mean or to make their lives difficult but to protect my kids from exposure and to protect their kids from reacting to a vax in my presence while they are at work and forcing us to head to the hospital.

Anything else you think is important?
Daily reports and pictures. I make sure to take lots of pics of the kids at my house so that parents see the smiles and realize that the kid is happy here and adjusting well. Also, they see that I'm hiding nothing and their kid is in good hands. On top of that, they all are just so stinkin' cute and it makes mom and dad happy to see that I love their kids enough to get these pics. Daily reports keep go-home times simple(they can just pick up, give love, nurse, and go home instead of asking me millions of questions and taking my focus from the other children) and they have a written record of what their child did, how they napped, what they ate, and who they played with. Makes them feel a part of their child's day even when they were at work.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #24
Sue2U
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am severely bipolar and do home daycare. Honestly the routine of it all is very soothing for me. It relaxes me when I have the kids. When they are gone all I want to do is lay around the house and not do anything (like it's not worth getting up). I babysit 3 siblings. They are 3, 18 months and 8 weeks. I have a 5,3, and 1 yr. old myself. So thats 6 kids under the age of 5. I take my medication at the right time, go to therapy once a week and see my doctor every 2 weeks. All my friends and the mother of the children I watch know I am bipolar and when I first told them, they were all shocked (they would have never thought that about me) I don't act any different than anyone else (that is why there are medications). Just because you are bipolar it's not fair for someone to think your insane or be afraid to leave thier children with you. With that said:

*Do you have a contract? No I don't but if I didn't know the mother I might write a simple one up.

*Do you think there would be any problems with me EBF & CD'ing my ds & having another or 2? I cloth diaper my dd and now cd the youngest two I watch. The mamma was so happy to know I would CD to save money on sposies (I am still in the process of trying to convert her full time).

*How many kids do you think is a good #? Same family/multiple families? I think 8 would be the most I would ever do. I also wouldn't do more than 2 newborns at a time. I would try to stick to same family siblings, it's just easier.

*Do you or the parents provide the food? Do you charge extra if you do? No I don't because it's just a couple of extra sandwhiches and some fruit or whatever we are having for lunch and snack. If they were older children (who eat more, I would give them the option of providing their own food or adding an extra $2 for the day.

*What kind of qualifications would you look for? I stay up to date with all my certifications. I used to work at the Red Cross and teach the classes. I have a great play area with nice organized and clean toys. I also disenfect everything at the end of the day (yes everthing!). My home is also child proof to the hilt!!

*Do pets make a difference? I don't have any indoors (right now, we put them out for the winter & to get adjusted to the new house, we may or may not bring them back in.) I would ask if any children were allergic and be up front with the parents and see how they feel about it. I don't have any pets so I don't know about that one.

*Do you offer/expect structured/educational activities? To me you have to in order to keep the peace It keeps them occupied and happy, no fighting over toys etc.

*What do you do if they are vaxed & your baby is not? (ie protecting your child?) I don't know how to answer that one, my dd is vaxed

I charge the mamma $5 an hour for all 3 kids (not each for all). I am trying to help the mamma out who is strugling and only makes $9 an hour. I used work at the YMCA and took care of the children 18 months and under. I got paid $5.65 (with taxes being taken out). I would have at least 5 kidlets sometimes 7-8 by myself. So $5 an hour to me is fair. I have never understood why people charge so much anyways (maybe because I have struggled so much myself).

I HTH if you have any more questions, I'm here
Sue2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #25
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to touch on the food question...here we have a program that licensed providers get reimbursed for food...like so much for each meal...you do have to be licensed to qualify but it's great! i get like $180/mo for one other child and my kids are included as long as a daycare child is there. they give you menu ideas and they also have some guidelines to follow and they do visits, but for the extra money it's worth it! here in kansas you have to go through the health department to between a licensed daycare provider and they give us a huge packet that has info on all the resources available to providers...hopefully your state has something like that!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #26
jbaskc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

jbaskc is offline   Reply With Quote