Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

My dd always smells like pee!

It doesn't matter if I bathe her every day, this kid smells like pee! She is four and a half and has been fully potty trained for well over a year. But we have two problems: 1) She doesn't wipe. She simply won't. I don't know how to convince her to do it and I'm not going to follow her around all day (we have four bathrooms) to make sure she does it. 2) she has started delaying the potty when she knows she has to go. She'll dance and wiggle around and keep playing until she pees a little in her undies, THEN she runs to the bathroom. It is becoming unbearable.

How do I convince this kid to go to the bathroom when she first feels the urge (she used to do it--I don't know what changed), and then wipe her bottom when she finishes???

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My dd always smells like pee!

My 3.5 year old is the same way. And the second she gets a dot of pee on her panties, she's becomes hysterical because she's wet and refuses to move until you change her underwear, pants, and socks...she just stands there screaming "I'm so weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!! I'm sooooooooooaked!!! Why won't you help meeeeeeeeee??!!" Oh, and this happens about ten times a day, every day. Its ridiculous.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

What if you got her some special cloth wipes(my 5 year old loves them) that she could pick out and a cute watch with a time that could be set. Whenever the timer goes off she goes. IDK just some ideas. That sounds really frustrating.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Have you looked down there to make sure everythings okay? Maybe it hurts to wipe?

Seems strange for such a big change.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
traderbren
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My older daughter would hold off going pee until it was almost too late... Then she made a comment that her pee was "hot" and we figured out she had a UTI... She now gets cranberry juice once a day. It has helped.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie
What if you got her some special cloth wipes(my 5 year old loves them) that she could pick out and a cute watch with a time that could be set. Whenever the timer goes off she goes. IDK just some ideas. That sounds really frustrating.
You can get little vibrating pagers somewhere that you can set to go off however often you like and that can remind them to use the washroom. A friend of mine had one for her son when he was in first grade because he kept having accidents. This was a perfect and discreet reminder.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes
My 3.5 year old is the same way. And the second she gets a dot of pee on her panties, she's becomes hysterical because she's wet and refuses to move until you change her underwear, pants, and socks...she just stands there screaming "I'm so weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!! I'm sooooooooooaked!!! Why won't you help meeeeeeeeee??!!" Oh, and this happens about ten times a day, every day. Its ridiculous.
Same here! We go through soooo many undies every day. Drives me nuts.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. She has commented that her pee is "spicy" (kinda cute, huh?), but it has only been a couple times in the last couple years, so I don't think that is necessarily the issue. I think going to potty has just become a hassle to her. She has never really been a wiper--that's not the change as much as the delaying.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
Wendylady
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorahsMom View Post
Same here! We go through soooo many undies every day. Drives me nuts.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. She has commented that her pee is "spicy" (kinda cute, huh?), but it has only been a couple times in the last couple years, so I don't think that is necessarily the issue. I think going to potty has just become a hassle to her. She has never really been a wiper--that's not the change as much as the delaying.
Delaying without complaining of pain can still be a sign of a UTI. My 5yr old son was just diagnosed with one and the only thing he was doing was suddenly wetting his pants because he was waiting too long to go to the bathroom. But when I took him to the doctor it turns out he has a UTI, even though he hasn't once said anything about it hurting to pee.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I do agree that going to pee is a hassle. I hate it myself! Belt and pants and ugh.

Does she like skirts or dresses? Might alleviate the hassle a bit.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Marion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My almost 5 yr old has the same problem. I've had her checked a few times for UTI and nothing. We have now gotten to the point of taking her to a phcyatrisst as well as a urologist in the hopes to find out what is wrong. We can remind her to go she goes and 20 min or less later she's damp down there. Don't seem to matter how much we remind her or talk to her about it she's having tiny accidents.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote