Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a girl and another on the way, we aren't done and do want a boy or two at some point but I think same sex siblings is a wonderful thing! They play so nice, have more in common (IMO) and mostly from everyone I know and have known growing up are closer with their siblings than those of opposite sex. I know what you mean about wanting a girl because I desperately wanted a girl when I first got pregnant but I think two of the same is so nice and they will be so happy growing up together!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
bluedagger
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Moms of only boys/only girls

I have one boy and one on the way. We are done. As far as them being children right now I don't think I'm missing anything. What I do feel I will miss down the line is the mother-grown daughter relationship. I have the best relationship with my mom. It was rocky getting there, and know that with a girl child it would be the same. It's possible I'll have awesome relationship with one of my sons when he's grown, but most boys are drawn to their dads after a certain age.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
It's funny that the PPs with boys say boys are easier. I have all girls and I think they are easier! LOL. For the record we don't have Justin Bieber in this house. Blech. Whenever my nephew and grandson are over I'm ready for the nuthouse, seriously. My nephew never sits still and my grandson is so messy, licks his fingers at the table, burps and farts on purpose, and picks his nose. Yuck

Ok now before everyone gets on me about the fact that all boys aren't like that, just remember that girls are not all about drama, dresses, and princesses either. LOL
I get it, it is just that for me I never understood girls when I was little either. I didn't play with other girls with one exception, the girl who lived next door who liked mud pies and sports more than dolls just like I did. I've always only had guy friends. I understand them and we like the same things. As a teen the girls would talk endlessly about the boys they liked while I wanted to talk about what I was studying, the book I was reading or the new skating trick I had learned. Did I mention I was a nerd? Most of the guys forgot I wasn't a guy and most of the girls hated me because they were just sure I was trying to steal the guys they were interested in (I didn't get that at the time, I was just hanging out with my friends). I've personally never found girls to be any cleaner than boys, especially if my nieces are anything to go by. My 14 year old niece claims everything is a finger food. I just laugh at her. She plays every sport you can imagine and she belches as loud as she can (I think she finally out grew wiping her nose on her shirt). My 10 year old son can play in the mud without ever getting dirty and I've yet to figure that one out. I want the kid to get dirty but he is too fastidious to do it (I guess I rubbed off on him). I'm obsessed with keeping the house clean but I want the kids to enjoy playing and getting messy while they can. I think it is just a kid by kid thing and also who they grew up around because my other niece is a bit neater and a little less into sports. She also prefers princesses. They both are far more dramatic than my boys though. It just seems to be the nature of the way girls interact with each other. Not that no boys ever do it but in my experience it happens far less. I think it tends to be natural for a mother to want a daughter and I think it is also natural for most mothers to find it easier to raise a daughter, after all we are women and should understand them right? I'm just saying for me boys are easier and not probably for most of the reasons most people think. I try not to fall into the gender stereo typing because it is definitely an individual personality thing (my 10 year old can be incredibly dramatic when he wants to and he cries at the drop of a hat) but I've always just had an easier time with boys in general. I think I may just be one of those people who was meant to be a mom of boys.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have one of each, but I worry that my kids will miss out on that special bond that two brothers or two sisters have. I'm happy with how it turned out, but I think having all one gender is pretty special too.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
bluedagger
Registered Users

My Mood:

I do think boys are easier, too. I'm not a girly-girl. I was a tom boy. I understand wanting to be dirty and play rough. And the thought of teenage girls gives me nightmares! I was a teenage girl. I was actually pretty good and hardly ever got in trouble, but I know I was a trial for my mother. (not saying that boys can't be, but lord the mood swings on teenage girls!). The one thing I know I may miss one day is the bonding that comes with an adult daughter. I might get lucky and be close with one of my daughter-in-laws.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #26
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have 2 boys and am pregnant with boy #3. I have always seen myself with a daughter so it was a little tough hearing that this one was a boy, but I kinda just knew it was. I LOVE my boys though, they play together so well and are so much fun to watch. Now if when we have a 4th ( dh says 4 will be the last) if its a girl I will feel bad that she wont have a sister, but if its another boy I will feel like I wont get to have that daughter I always wanted. We just love what we are blessed with and have to live for them
Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #27
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have three girls, and love it! wouldn't change a thing

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #28
crunch!910
Registered Users

This one due in April is another boy. We are done most likely. I don't really have a desire for a girl. I don't wear make up, I don't do up my hair (ponytails are my best friend), I don't get all dressed up for anything less than a very special occasion(tshirt/jeans is my thing).... and if I had a girl and she wanted to do those things, I'd feel like it was torture/a chore to have to do those things like play dress up with her. When I hear friends talk about their daughters wanting barbies, dolls, dresses and all sorts of girly things, I feel so lucky to have boys!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #29
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
I have one of each, but I worry that my kids will miss out on that special bond that two brothers or two sisters have. I'm happy with how it turned out, but I think having all one gender is pretty special too.
If it helps my boys are not that super close. They are homeschooled so it forces them closer because they are together 24/7 and really if you asked Tharen who his best friend is he will tell you it is Kearnan, but they are polar opposites. They fight more than they don't. They just don't have that super close bond that you would expect between brothers because of that but I think they will be close because of the way they are being raised. Dh has two brothers and a sister and he is closest to his sister who is also the sibling furthest from him in age (she is 10 years older). When he was young his brother who is 6 years older and his sister were his favorites, he's always sort of hated his one brother. Now he and his brother B don't get along at all and B lives in China. R and dh get along but we only see him maybe 2 or 3 times a year even though they live probably 10 miles from us so we could see them any time. SIL we see as often as we can even though she is 50 or more miles away. Dh adores her and our boys love her girls. Just how it turned out. So there is definitely hope for your kids to be super close. My brother and I are not super duper close but it is really just our personalities. I am close with my mom, dh and my kids but my brother is not close to anyone, not even his own son. He doesn't get close to people. He really likes dh though.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #30
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I have three girls and yes, sometimes I do feel that I am missing out on a few things because the truth is, I am....and so will you. I don't say that to be harsh, only to state the obvious. It's important to focus on the positive and the blessings of having only one gender. No one can have everything. Big families miss out on the ease of having just one, only children miss out on siblings, one gender might miss out on stuff that is normally for the other gender, etc. You just have to come to terms with the fact that this is your family. It takes time so don't feel bad if you do have moments where you wonder "what if", its normal.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote