Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any suggestions for 9 month sleep regression?

DS is up almost every hr and will not be soothed to sleep (he can't self soothe yet). Any tips?

He refuses to be rocked, nursed, bottlefed, held, held by someone else, played with, tylenol doesn't work (we thought he was teething), or wrapped (or unwrapped for that matter! He will only fall asleep on me in a slouchy sort of upright position after about 40 min, so i'm up about an hr every hr. He also won't lay down with me either in the bed or couch. I haven't tried wearing him yet because i was getting him into it tonight and he had just eaten so he spit up all over me, himself and the mei tai lol! CIO is not for us, he starts to cry as soon as i start to put him in it. Thanks in advance for any advice/commiseration. I'm beat!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any suggestions for 9 month sleep regression?

You could research some sleep training methods but most do call for some sort of modified CIO or fuss-it-out. Good sleep habits have to be learned, its rare that a kid just comes out knowing when to sleep and how to self soothe. It takes time and hard work from mama....especially the ones that are not easily pacified by nursing or rocking.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use Baby Whisperer method for sleep stuff with DS (he's 8 months). It has helped - we still have issues here and there, but I'm with you - CIO is not in the plan and it never will be. I don't believe that it is necessary, at all. There are proven studies where it causes harm and raises cortisol levels, etc. etc. NOT GOOD.

DS just recently with through a separation anxiety phase where he did the same thing. Woke up in the middle of the night and would scream for me. He was so wide awake, it took forever to get him back to sleep. He would cry and cry but I was right there with him, holding him, cuddling him, singing to him. Eventually he would relax and then eventually fall asleep.

I feel like all you can do is keep on keepin on, lol. Just stick to the daily rhythm and the methods and eventually it will even out. DS can't put himself to sleep, but he has learned to self-soothe a little. Does your LO have a lovey? That has helped us a bit.

I peruse babywhispererforums.com for info!
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
In addition to all the sleep training you're going to try - I really recommend some good sunlight. Take him on an afternoon walk in the stroller if you can - sunlight should sap some energy and make them sleep better.

Also, if it's separation anxiety, you could try to get him tired of you. Either wear him more during the day or just be right there playing with him. Don't know how well that'd work.

And remember 'sleep begets sleep'. So make those naps happen. Even if you have to drive or stroller or whatever.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
In addition to all the sleep training you're going to try - I really recommend some good sunlight. Take him on an afternoon walk in the stroller if you can - sunlight should sap some energy and make them sleep better.

Also, if it's separation anxiety, you could try to get him tired of you. Either wear him more during the day or just be right there playing with him. Don't know how well that'd work.

And remember 'sleep begets sleep'. So make those naps happen. Even if you have to drive or stroller or whatever.

Good luck!
So true. If he's overtired, he's not going to sleep well. But to not be overtired he needs to sleep well. It's a predicament.

We also made sure the room was super dark, and use a sound machine with whtie noise at highest volume. My intention was that if he wakes up he is so disoriented he goes right back to sleep LOL.
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Covergirl
Registered Users
seller

I am right there with you, OP. The 9 month sleep regression has hit my DS hard this past week. (He's almost 9 1/2 months.) This regression is making the 4 month old one seem like a walk in the park in comparison. The only solace/help I've gotten is from the website Ask Moxie:

http://www.askmoxie.org/2008/03/talk-about-the.html

and

http://www.askmoxie.org/2009/03/a-re...gressions.html

Some mothers in the blog comments have done ok with CIO in various forms, some with a little No Cry Sleep Solution, but the vast majority just ride it out and suddenly, when their kids are 10-13 months old (most at 11 months old), they are STTN without any sleep training. Usually it happens when the kid learns to walk. The ones who CIO or did some sleep training successfully might've had a child that STTN if they had only waited till the regression is over, hard to tell.

So I am just trying to hang tough. I never thought I could live with so little sleep and with a baby waking screaming and then shrieking for hours on end!

This too shall pass!
Covergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

You have my sympathies. AT about 8.5 month, my DS stopped sleeping altogether. PP is right that "sleep begets sleep". We used lots of stroller ride naps to combat the sleep deficit. I have no permanent solutions to offer since we used CIO ultimately, but getting your DS to take a few naps anyway you can (car ride, stroller, etc) should improve his temperament and make it more likely that he will learn to fall asleep again.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Covergirl
Registered Users
seller

I also wanted to add this post from Ask Moxie, with more advice:

http://www.askmoxie.org/2007/01/qa_getting_a_9m.html

BTW, I'm up writing this @ 320... yes, DS has been up every hour... I've managed to cobble together @ 5 hours of sleep...
Covergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
oberry52305
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think "different strokes for different folks." lol....I'm going through the same thing with DD who is 7 months old, she is driving me bonkers, seriously. And for the sake of my husband and my DS, and my own sanity, I have resorted to CIO after I have tried so many different sleep solutions with no success. We had to use the Ferber Method with my DS, and it was hard for 2-3 nights, but after that, he has been an excellent sleeper since. It seems that CIO is starting to work, but has been hard, terribly hard. I make sure her tummy's full, her dipe is changed, she's burped, and give her lots of hugs and kisses before putting her down, and just say "you're very tired, time to sleep and feel better", give her her binky, baby, and silky, tuck her in, and leave the room. She starts crying immediately when I leave her, but then I occupy myself and turn the baby monitors off. Definitely not for everyone and I have wanted to not do this with every ounce of my being, but with both of us not getting any sleep, it was getting very ugly around here. We've done the stroller and car rides, but with my DS being 5 and we're homeschooling, and with all of DD crying day and night, it started taking a toll on him as well. You are doing a great job as a mama and figuring out whats best for your family. Do what you have to do and what your mama instinct tells you. *hugs* I can empathize.
oberry52305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #10
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I needed to read this thread this morning!! DD (11 months) has decided suddenly that she does not need to sleep. Last night was better, but only because she was latched on all night.

Now I'm wondering if this is a separation anxiety? I'm a sahm and she is ALWAYS with me, so maybe the anxiety is manifesting in a different way?

Good luck OP. Know that you are not the only one who is going through it.

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote