Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
marthathecakelady
Registered Users
seller
seller

Talk to me about baby wearing.....

I was just looking at a thread on mei teis. And they look very interesting. I could not get the hang of the long long long piece of fabric type of carrier, lol.

So talk to me about what you have tried. What was great and what didn't work for you.

We have a Children's consignment sale coming up in March and I can try to find something there. (hoping to find an ergo. Last time there was one for like $25. Wish now I had bought it!!) But maybe a mei tei wrap if there is one......

Advertisement

My facebook "fan" page
marthathecakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about baby wearing.....

With my last baby we started with hotsling, I really liked it. It fit great and it was really easy to use. I used that for about the first 3-4 months, I even used it alot later as a hip carrier too.

I tried the Baby K'tan and really wanted to like it but I hated it. It just did not work for us at all. It was supposed to be easy to use but I just found it complicated. I ended up returning it after a few days.

Our most used carrier was the Ergo, I LOVED that thing. We used it until she was about 2yrs old and I plan on using it again this time. I was even thinking about getting the newborn insert so I can use it from the start.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
jakeysmama
Registered Users
seller

I had a Mei Tei and loved it! I even got a few of my friends hooked on them too A friend of mine has a Baby Hawk and I really like that one too. I've used it a few times with her DD and its easy and comfy and her daughter still loves it at 8months (and she used it all along).
Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
sonitaw
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I loved moby wraps for when she was teeny and the beco butterfly when she was a bit older. I'm busty so having her on my back felt like a miracle. My poor back, front wearing hurt me! Becos are similar to ergo carriers but way cuter in my opinion. Frogmama has killer deals just got one for a friend for 89 bucks shipped (it was a special sale). You can get used ones there as well. I didn't like Mai tai mainly because i was done with front wearing and too confused how to get her on my back with it (she was only 4 months or so when I got it). I also thought the straps were cumbersome. I had a sling as well (one of the good ones) only used that the first few months. The way the weight was distributed was hard on my back because it wasn't balanced. I think that's why I like wraps better you can balance the baby better centering them to your body.

Married to DH 4 years, DD born 3/2009
sonitaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I liked my ring sling for early on. Say under 12 lbs or so. Perfect for snugging in a newborn.

I like my mei tai's for daily wear from 12 lbs to about 25 lbs. I'm not very big (only 5') so 25 lbs is really my max "carry" weight. My DD is hitting 25 lbs now that she is 14 months. I just encourage her to walk whenever I can. When she absolutely won't/can't, then I use my mei tai.

I use my wrap when we will be doing a lot of walking. Say a trip to the zoo. I find it offers the most support but the time to put it on is daunting.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
g&g
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD2 LIVED in her Sleepy Wrap until she was about 15lbs. I loved it. It took some getting used to at first, but it quickly became second nature. From about 3-4 months til now all we used was the BabyHawk. I got several friends hooked on it too. I love, love, love that thing! I also use the Ergo a lot too. That one feels a bit more supportive, and DH can use it as well. I didn't really like my Baby K'tan either. Too complicated and I could never get it comfortable.
Katy, outnumbered Marine wife/mom/geologist to a spunky Hoo, a sweet Pipes, with #3 due in Aug, and 2 crazy wiener dogs, Graben and Gabi.

g&g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
marthathecakelady
Registered Users
seller
seller

the sleepy wrap is stretchy like the moby yes?

My facebook "fan" page
Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
g&g
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep! Easy to wash too!
Katy, outnumbered Marine wife/mom/geologist to a spunky Hoo, a sweet Pipes, with #3 due in Aug, and 2 crazy wiener dogs, Graben and Gabi.

g&g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
marthathecakelady
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't actually tried the stretchy fabric versions. But I tried one that was mama made woven. Could NOT get the hang of it! Too much learning curve for me! I felt like I always had to have my hand on or near baby for her to be secure!

My facebook "fan" page
Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
sonitaw
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With the wrap I had to watch 10 different youtube videos to figure it out. Once you get the hang of it it you will be able to do it like second nature, I was surprised I just showed a mommy friend how to use it and I still remembered after 2 years. The only crappy this is that if you want to go out with it, like shopping, it is best to put it on before you leave the house, because the fabric is so long it will drag on the ground, not something you want to have happen in a parking lot... I always wondered what a cop would think if I got pulled over..."why is she wrapped in all that fabric??!!??"

Married to DH 4 years, DD born 3/2009
sonitaw is offline   Reply With Quote