Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

Ahh! Suddenly my great eater is super picky!

So, my dd is 17mo, has always had a huge appetite and eaten anything and everything you give her. Now, she eats hardly anything except for snack foods and spits any food out unless it's sweet or cheese.
I'm assuming (hoping) it's just a phase. For now, I'm totally at a loss as to what to feed her.
What do you make for your picky eater? What are some foods that are healthy but don't taste it?

Advertisement

CutiePatootiesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Ahh! Suddenly my great eater is super picky!

Normal. We had that happen about that age. We just supplement with toddler formula and offer several meals a day and snacks. Either he eats or not.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Are his snacks healthy and filling enough for a meal? If not, honestly, I would eliminate them (don't even offer them and put them out of sight) and just put three healthy, filling foods that he has liked in the past in front of him. If he doesn't eat much, then when he asks for a snack, give him the same foods again (or you can swap out some other healthy/filling foods he's liked in the past) but not the snacks.

My DD has always been a picky eater, but I find that if I limit her choices to 2-3 items I know she likes, there is a much greater chance she will eat them than if I offer her only one food or too many choices. My DD is 19 months, and I've been using this method for quite a few months now. She's old enough to understand that what I offer her are the only choices she gets. Just about every meal she eats well! (And if that fails, there is always nursing. )

Btw, my DD has a lot of food allergies, so she's on a pretty limited diet. I just make really healthy stuff for her from the list of foods she can eat. I kind of doubt other toddlers would want to eat what she eats, but it's what she has to eat, so we make it work! (She eats a lot of brown rice, pinto and black beans, chickpeas, lentils, broccoli, sweet potato, some fruit, etc.)

Last edited by melyndie; 01-13-2012 at 02:00 PM.
melyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by melyndie View Post
Are his snacks healthy and filling enough for a meal? If not, honestly, I would eliminate them (don't even offer them and put them out of sight) and just put three healthy, filling foods that he has liked in the past in front of him. If he doesn't eat much, then when he asks for a snack, give him the same foods again (or you can swap out some other healthy/filling foods he's liked in the past) but not the snacks.

My DD has always been a picky eater, but I find that if I limit her choices to 2-3 items I know she likes, there is a much greater chance she will eat them than if I offer her only one food or too many choices. My DD is 19 months, and I've been using this method for quite a few months now. She's old enough to understand that what I offer her are the only choices she gets. Just about every meal she eats well! (And if that fails, there is always nursing. )
You are definitely right about eliminating the snacks! Today is the first day that I'm trying it. Being pregnant (for some reason with this pregnancy I am sooo easily irritated) I get majorly stressed out when she starts whining for food so I just hand her something to tide her over while I figure out what to make her, then by the time I make her something she's already full.

I am trying a similar method to what you suggested today. So far she's eaten 2 homemade french toast sticks for breakfast and a bite of cheese for lunch. We'll try lunch again when she wakes up.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePatootiesMama View Post
You are definitely right about eliminating the snacks! Today is the first day that I'm trying it. Being pregnant (for some reason with this pregnancy I am sooo easily irritated) I get majorly stressed out when she starts whining for food so I just hand her something to tide her over while I figure out what to make her, then by the time I make her something she's already full.
I am pregnant too, so I knooooow what you mean. I try to have some healthy/filling foods on hand so when she's whining like she's going to die from hunger while I make her lunch, I can give her something to tide her over. If she gets full from the "snacks," I still "win" because they were going to be part of her lunch anyway. I'll keep cut up fruit, chickpeas, beans, carrots, snap peas, etc. in the fridge for such occasions.

Right now I'm letting my DD run around with a bowl of chickpeas that she's gobbling up while I sneak a few minutes on the computer. She's thrilled because she has a little bowl all her own, and I'm thrilled because I have a few minutes to "myself."
Old 01-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
There are tons of things my 15month DD used to eat, but now doesn't. Their taste buds do change a lot. She might like them again tomorrow.

But, in your case, I just wouldn't give any of the junk. At all. Not as a snack, not at mealtime.

I make 1 meal. Sometimes she cleans her tray; sometimes she eats 2 bites and wants down. I dont argue (most of the time) and she isn't going to starve herself.

I am more lenient with snack crackers and such when she's eating good at mealtime. When she's not, I don't give her the opportunity to be full of snacks or milk.

The only way to win the food battle is to only offer what you want them to eat. They will not starve themselves.

You can put a ton of healthy stuff in smoothies though, if you're concerned.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, totally normal phase - and it's not just at 17-18mos either, it continues off and on... well, until they're 9 anyways!
I just keep offering the same foods we always have and they've always eaten, after a few days they feel like eating again and go back to normal.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone! After I got some replies on this I decided to make dd's lunch before she woke up from her nap. She ate a whole scrambled egg with cheese and a few tablespoons of whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce. I know this isn't the end of the food battle, but I'm just happy she ate something.
Dh is the worst about giving dd snacks, he buys them constantly and he's been home for the past 2 days giving them to her. I'll have to lay down the law with him, lol.