Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
3Daisies
Registered Users

Anyone not send their child to private preschool?

Z is about to turn 3 and I'm starting to think more seriously about preschool. I'm contemplating doing a homeschool curriculum for preschool before she starts public school. I think I would be good at this and I could see it being fun. I'm torn on this, however, because I want her to be well prepared for Kindy and perhaps being in a private preschool would better prepare her for public school Kindy?

If I were to homeschool preschool, I would make sure she is involved in several activites (ie art institute classes for children, etc) to help her get used to a group/class setting.

Has anyone not put their child in a private preschool? Will I be doing my daughter a disservice if I homeschool preschool, then send her to public school kindy?

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone not send their child to private preschool?

I tried to homeschool for preschool. I'm a credentialed teacher and I *knew* I could do it.

My daughter had other ideas. She didn't want to learn one-on-one with me. She wouldn't play learning games (ie: name the shape w/ a shape sorter or count the dolls as we put them away) with me. I ended up putting her in a preschool and it is the right setting for her. Turns out, my kids are social learners. They learn best in groups of their peers. She attends for 3hrs, 2x/wk.

Kids all have different learning styles. My DD's style needed a school setting. Your kid may not (or may be better off without one). Most "preschool" curriculum can be taught (or reinforced, if they also attend a school setting) through everyday play. It just takes awareness and commitment. If you want a curriculum, there are many free sites on-line that can help you create one. Be committed and, if it fits your child's learning style, it will work fine. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We homeschool. There are lots of cirriculums you can buy online or in a store. Many sites have free printables for preschoolers. You could also try to find a homeschooling co-op in your area to go and talk to others to get a good idea of what it all involves.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

We do preschool, but only public preschool. (We don't do any private schooling at all for any age.) I do think preschool with other kids has its distinct advantages. There is a lot kids learn in preschool that they are expected to know in kindergarten now. Kids who have gone to preschool seem to have an easier time adjusting right at first in kindergarten. You do have to take it on a child-by-child basis though.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
3Daisies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM Cloth View Post
We do preschool, but only public preschool.
There are 3 preschools that come up when I google search our town (only 2 if I look in the phone book). All 3 have a Christian based curriculum. Two are located at a church. I'm assuming these are considered private preschools, right? Private because they have a Christian based curriculum?

What's an example of a public preschool? Would our ISD have a public preschool?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
R055ANA
Registered Users

We are homeschoolers as well and never sent any of our girls to private preschool (or any brick and mortar school for that matter).

You seem confident and you have a few ideas for what to do w/ your DD during the preschool years. There are so many social opportunities for children outside of school (it depends on your area). There are library story times, music classes, dance and gym classes.

Remember if you find that it isn't working out to keep her home for preschool you can always put her in preschool the following yr.

Best wishes!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not planning on send our boys to preschool at the age of 3 which seems to be the norm around here. If, big if, we do preschool it will be the private preschool (church) only 2 days a week at age 4. I dont want my boys spending all their time in school at that age. I think every thing taught in preschool can be taught at home through play/reading.

Also my friend did send her boy to our public preschool and loved it.

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

We home school, preschool included. We really have a homeschooling lifestyle- everything is a lesson, everything is something new to learn. As for book-work, as soon as my kiddos showed an interest in sitting for longer than 2 minutes to draw/paint, etc, I started implementing curriculum work. We have had great success thus far with "Five in a Row" and "Letter of the Week." Both are free curriculum available online and are pretty diverse as far as subject. When DD1 wanted a school BOOK to use for preschool stuff, we went to the book store and got some simple, inexpensive preschool work books like the "Preparing Your Preschooler to Read" and "Preparing Your Preschooler for Math" books. A mommy-friend practices similarly, but she also loves the Kumon books.
HTH!
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't believe in preschool. Kindergarten is more than early enough for a child to start formal schooling. Childhood is too short as it is, no need to force children into school any earlier than necessary. When did it become the norm to start sending 3yo to school? I know it wasn't normal when I was a child. The only kids who went to "preschool" when I was a kid were the kids already stuck in a daycare. They weren't really going to preschool they were just in a daycare that called itself a preschool. I homeschool my kids and we don't start with any kind of formal curric until K. Until then we have fun. Lots of play time, lots of reading (we always do that anyway). There is plenty of time for school.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Erinne
Registered Users

I plan to start my dd in 2 day/week, 2 1/2 hrs a day coop preschool next fall when she's 3. We do intend to send her to public school when she's elementary school aged, and I want her to be able to adjust more gradually than just suddenly all day, every day at 5. If she doesn't enjoy it, I won't hesitate to pull her and try again at 4, but knowing my dd, she's going to love it. For me, it's not about the academic skills, which I know she's learning just fine at home, but the social aspect. As a naturally very social only child with a SAHM, she really doesn't always get as much as I know she wants.