Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
wildsissy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
HELP! My 18mo still nurses as much as a newbie!

I figured at some point this would slow down.. she was going through 17 diapers per day up until 3 months ago, now I think she is just using me as a pacifier more than anything. I sit with other friends who have toddlers really close to her age (a few months younger or older) and we can go an entire playdate and not once are they sitting with their bewbs out.. and me, sometimes 6 times. It's nuts! I'm on the verge of buying a stop watch so I can time a full 24 hours of how much time she is latched to me.

Advertisement

wildsissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
luvmybabes85
Registered Users
seller

Re: HELP! My 18mo still nurses as much as a newbie!

lol, I'm in the same boat with my lil guy so I'm not much help;-)!

my iso/iha:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1235645
luvmybabes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Lol, sry Mama! I know it can get annoying when they want/need to nurse every 15min. It'll get better, before you know it you're sweet little "baby" will be asking less and less. One day she'll be weaned and you'll look back and smile
Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

oh my. 6 times during a playdate. I think my babies both were nursing about 6 times/day by 6 months. Is it that she's feeling shy/anxious and therefore using you as comfort? Since she's more than a year, if it were me, I might try and have her not nurse at all during a playdate. With my son I could tell him that we would nurse later and he'd be okay with it. My daughter is only 10 months, but I'm guessing she's not going to be quite as willing to be distracted. But she just gets whiny when she wants to nurse and I'm holding her off.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitchell98
oh my. 6 times during a playdate. I think my babies both were nursing about 6 times/day by 6 months. Is it that she's feeling shy/anxious and therefore using you as comfort? Since she's more than a year, if it were me, I might try and have her not nurse at all during a playdate. With my son I could tell him that we would nurse later and he'd be okay with it. My daughter is only 10 months, but I'm guessing she's not going to be quite as willing to be distracted. But she just gets whiny when she wants to nurse and I'm holding her off.
If she is shy or nervous and nursing is comforting to her I would not refuse for an entire playdate. Nursing is a great tool for comfort! It very well could be that she emotionally needs to nurse. You could offer an alernative such as a snack or toy but if she still wants to nurse I'd let her. It will get better, right now you are meeting her needs and that's ok.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
wildsissy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

nope.. not shy or nervous.. she has a blast at playdates.. but then she realizes "oh hey there is my mom" and plops on my lap for a "plug in" as I call it.. like sometimes she needs to just plug herself into me for a "recharge"... sighhh I dunno.. I've been attempting to hold her off by being busy with dishes, folding laundry, playing on the computer.. I've handed her a cup, tried to interest her with toys/books whatever is around.. she gets REALLY upset when I try to redirect her. She is so determined.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsissy
nope.. not shy or nervous.. she has a blast at playdates.. but then she realizes "oh hey there is my mom" and plops on my lap for a "plug in" as I call it.. like sometimes she needs to just plug herself into me for a "recharge"... sighhh I dunno.. I've been attempting to hold her off by being busy with dishes, folding laundry, playing on the computer.. I've handed her a cup, tried to interest her with toys/books whatever is around.. she gets REALLY upset when I try to redirect her. She is so determined.
It sounds like she is super busy and just comes to check in and reconnect for a minute.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
wildsissy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
It sounds like she is super busy and just comes to check in and reconnect for a minute.
yeah exactly.. but it's just getting the point of almost being embarrassing.. as a newbie it's kind of expected I guess.. but with a toddler who is 18 months...
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsissy View Post
yeah exactly.. but it's just getting the point of almost being embarrassing.. as a newbie it's kind of expected I guess.. but with a toddler who is 18 months...

Aww, don't be embarrassed. It IS normal. I know it can make you feel a bit silly but try not to let it get to you. Continue to offer an alternative (if you'd like), if she's demanding it may be easiest to just nurse her.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
wildsissy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ya know.. it would be one thing if she was actually DRINKING/EATING but most of the time she isn't.. and the worst part is my son was weaned from the "binkie" at 18 months then his father gave it back (weak moment) and he didn't give it up until he was almost 5!! Sorry but this is a very time consuming habit she's forming and it's starting to wear thin.. but yeah.. I'm just going to continue to try to redirect her attention unless I know she really should be eating/drinking.