Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
jessicacarol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Co-sleeping and frequent nursing

So my DS finally decided to latch on has been completely breastfeeding for about a month, he latched at 2.5 months and is now 3.5 months. Before BFing he would wake up maybe one time a night but mostly was sleeping through the night, since BFing, I have pulled him from his bassinet into bed and he would nurse on and off and snuggle, sounds great, huh? Well, I though so too, no more getting up to heat up bottles, very nice. But now my DS wants to nurse CONSTANTLY at night, like every 2 hours! I try to make him wait by just snuggling, rocking, walking, having my DH try but DS just screams! He apparently lost all his patience and his ability to sleep through the night. I don't mind co-sleeping but getting woken up every 2 hours to relatch him is beginning to make me overtired and frustrated. I have a scale so i know he is still taking about the same amount of milk during the day as he was on the bottle. Any ideas on how to get him back to being the good little sleeper that he was?

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD was the same way, still is some nights. The biggest thing that helps here is to make sure she gets a full feeding in when she wakes to nurse. Both sides, empty. This can be tough if you have a sleepy eater like me, but it will definitely help you get some longer stretches of sleep!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
jessicacarol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Co-sleeping and frequent nursing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbermama View Post
DD was the same way, still is some nights. The biggest thing that helps here is to make sure she gets a full feeding in when she wakes to nurse. Both sides, empty. This can be tough if you have a sleepy eater like me, but it will definitely help you get some longer stretches of sleep!
This is what I was thinking, maybe he is just snacking all night....I am just so lazy/ tired to get up and nurse him, I usually just fall asleep too so he may only be sucking for a few minutes before he falls asleep.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Plus you are right near the 4 month sleep regression.... just remember nothing is forever!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

And it might be a growth spurt... those can equal lots of night feedings because that is when the hormone prolactin is at its peak, which signals increased milk production when the breasts are stimulated.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

These phases come and go, just try to catch up on sleep on the good nights my 14 month old still has some nights she wakes 4-5 times, then others she sleeps through. I do think they need that nourishment when they wake though, because as your lo and mine have proven they can sleep through so why are they waking unless their bodies need nourishment. Just try to enjoy it while you can, they grow up WAY too fast!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

How long have you been cosleeping? After a couple weeks, I stopped waking up and pretty much just nursed her in my sleep.

My dd is 8 months and still nurses every couple hours at night, some nights more than others. Hang in there mama!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacarol

This is what I was thinking, maybe he is just snacking all night....I am just so lazy/ tired to get up and nurse him, I usually just fall asleep too so he may only be sucking for a few minutes before he falls asleep.
I hear ya mama!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
jessicacarol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie
How long have you been cosleeping? After a couple weeks, I stopped waking up and pretty much just nursed her in my sleep.

My dd is 8 months and still nurses every couple hours at night, some nights more than others. Hang in there mama!
I do not wake as much to latch him on but don't think I sleep as soundly either, plus my intimate life is put on hold with a baby in bed all the time!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacarol
So my DS finally decided to latch on has been completely breastfeeding for about a month, he latched at 2.5 months and is now 3.5 months.
It wasn't clear to me, Were you supplementing with formula before? Breast milk is digested much faster than formula, which may explain the more frequent feedings.

If it was breastmilk in a bottle, then I wish you luck. My ds has been nursing ALL night for a week now, and I am trying to figure out the same thing!
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote