Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How long did you stay in the water after your water birth?

and was it your choice to get out or your care provider? Did you deliver the placenta in the water as well?

Side note-I'm slightly grossed out by the idea of being in the water with everything that comes out with the baby..do you shower shortly after or run some fresh water to clean off before getting out?

I'm just curious what happens AFTER the excitement of the baby's arrival. Can't seem to find much info.

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

Re: How long did you stay in the water after your water birth?

With my waterbirth...nothing really came out with the baby. The water wasn't gross. stayed in there long enough to breastfeed for the first time, and got out right before the placenta was birthed because the water was starting to get cold at that point and I wanted to get the baby out of the cooling water. I birthed the placenta in the bathroom. I didn't have a provider; it was unassisted, so I just went with my gut and instincts.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was in about 20 minutes after DS2's birth and yes, did deliver the placenta in the water. It got a little "funky" after the placenta was out, because I bled a little. Once the placenta was out my midwives helped me up out of the water and checked for blood loss/tearing etc. and wrapped him up to get him on my chest to nurse.

I didn't really need a shower or anything right afterward, since the water/blood ratio was mostly water....it wasn't like I was coated with blood or anything. And I was thoroughly toweled off before lying down on the bed.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma

Last edited by jenncatsmeow; 03-02-2012 at 07:56 PM.
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
youarelovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got out pretty fast. The water had gotten cold, and we wanted to get baby warmed up. The water wasn't too gross. I delivered the placenta in the bathroom.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:

I stayed in about 30-45 minutes after DS was born, we snuggled and nursed, there was some blood in the water, but not much and it is SO much water that it was hard to even notice. We got DS out to warm up and DH snuggled him for the first time while I birthed the placenta (I had to stand up because we wear having some issues getting it out.)
Then I dried off, with red towels that I had ready, and got straight in the shower with my midwife standing outside to assist if needed.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
lilypond
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm having my first waterbirth with this one and I didn't even think about this, thanks for asking Now that I think about it I'm sure I'll stay in as long as everything is OK until the placenta is born (which with my others was about 20 minutes) then cut the cord and then I will shower.
Mom to J I N A L and with baby #6 due April 2015
lilypond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

I got out about 5-10 minutes after birth, the water had cooled and I had some bleeding from tearing. I birthed the placenta in the bed, then was stitched up and showered.
jj7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond_pond View Post
I'm having my first waterbirth with this one and I didn't even think about this, thanks for asking Now that I think about it I'm sure I'll stay in as long as everything is OK until the placenta is born (which with my others was about 20 minutes) then cut the cord and then I will shower.

I'm due in May, have dreamt about a water birth with the other babies but this is the first time facilities have been available...and it's only JUST now occurring to me lol!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we stayed in for about a half hours i wanted to wait to cut the cord.

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got out right after he was born. The cord was really short so it was easier to move to the bed for the placenta. The water was pretty clean. We left the birth center about 2am and I didn't take a herb bath until about 8am.