Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:
Tri-fold hemp inserts, a few qs

Like the kind Mutts used to be. Are they 1 layer or 2 of hemp? What about that "extra" bit down the middle? How many layers is that and how do you do it? I need to start sewing some nb diapers (yay!) and I want to make more for Hazel too. That seems the easiest, if I can figure out how many layers.
Also, can I cut the hemp first? How much will it shrink? Right now I can't wash in hot, so I would have to boil it. Or should I just wait a month until I am in my new house(also yay!) and can wash with hot?

Ok, that is all lol.

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
hfitz5051
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tri-fold hemp inserts, a few qs

Bump....
Old 06-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know about the type of inserts you are referring to, but I do know that I jsut washed some hemp fleece and terry and it did shrink quite a bit
ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
Melissa
Banned
seller

definitly wash first or give your self some shrink room. I am just guessing here but all the mutts I ever had were velour topped. I would do one layer hemp one velour and one extra strip of hemp in the middle. I think that will cover you pretty good. When trifolded it would be four hemp layers and three velour, for 7 total layers I think tht is a lot and gret for a heavy soaker.

I loved my mutt trifolds but wasnt fond of the diaper it. So now my trifolds are similar (no middle layer) and I cant beat them in my dipes!!!!
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:53 AM   #5
hfitz5051
seller

My Mood:

Mutts are my all time favorite lol. She stopped making them that way though, so I thought I would make a few myself. I'll definitely wait until I can wash in hot then. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
aschrimp
Registered Users

I've never used mutts, but I make tri fold hemp inserts for all my diapers, and I just pair up two layers of hemp fleece or ft, same thickness for the entire insert, and serge around the outside. That way it all dries at the same rate. I do cover one section in fleece - I cover one side, not the center, that way I can fold it with the fleece out or the hemp out (I sew or snap in most of mine).
Hemp shrinks ALOT - like I think I heard up to 30%, so I wouldn't try it without shrinking first. Unless you want mini inserts. LOL.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote