Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pumping before baby is born?

With both of my kids, my milk took at least 5 days to come in. I read somewhere that you can start a regular pumping schedule right before you're due to help bring the milk in earlier...is this true? Anything else that will help? Thanks!

Advertisement

ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

You should NOT pump before birth. While you may stimulate breast and get some contractions, it would take a lot of time and the. Your babies colostrum would be administered through bottle or spoon. Not the way it should be. The solution to milk coming in at 5 days? There isn't one. You should feed on DEMAND at least 12x per 24 hours. But I like to suggest you keep baby at breast nonstop. Stimulation from your baby is the BEST way to encourage 'milk' to come in. Please know, your milk is already there. It's colostrum and it's highly nutritious and there is no need to supplement. That delicious gold coats the tummy and gut. Some women get engorgement sooner than others, to challenge your own rhythm is best done by a nursing. GL!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Pumping before baby is born?

See, that's what I thought, that it would cause contractions but someone told me (or I read) that their LC had them pumping before birth to help the milk come in earlier.
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

3-5 days is average I thought, so I wouldn't worry unless baby shows signs of not getting enough to eat...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Its the removal of the placenta that sends the signal to the breasts to make milk.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do believe pumping before labor is something people might have suggested back in the day. Like rubbing your nipples, to toughen them up. Neither does you any good, really, just wastes time and is painful. Lol. Your body is creating milk at around 10weeks. It's there, baby on breast tells the foremilk and hind milk it's time to come. Before then it's colostrum and it's very very nutritious. Can not be replicated. Gosh, it's an amazing thing!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Like a pp said, until you deliver your placenta, your milk will NOT come in. That said, how carefully did they examine your placenta after your previous births. A retained placenta will slow the production of milk.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Yep, the placenta detaching signals the body to make milk. Nursing frequently can encourage the milk to come in sooner. Make sure your baby has a nice deep latch, which will allow the baby to transfer milk well. Also, did you have an epidural or other meds with your previous birth? Sometimes that can cause the baby to be drowsy the first few days, less frequent nursing, weak suck, etc which could contribute to your milk coming in later.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think being pumped full of IV fluids prior to the birth can also delay your milk a bit. And it can make it harder for baby to latch on and get the colostrum, too. Obviously you need to avoid dehydration, but you also want to avoid edema, too.

I nursed throughout my second pregnancy; my DD nursed before bed at 8 p.m. and my DS was born at 4:18 the next morning (at 40w6d gestation). It's not really dangerous, I don't think, but it's not going to be comfortable, and I really question its effectiveness in bringing milk in any faster. My milk came in about 48 hours after both births, with two nurslings the second time.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather8183
See, that's what I thought, that it would cause contractions but someone told me (or I read) that their LC had them pumping before birth to help the milk come in earlier.
I think I know what this LC is talking about. I worked with the same LC (IBCLC) for my three kids, and this most recent kiddo, my LC did say she had recently been to a conference (I want I say with Diane Weisenger (sp?) of LLL fame) where some new studies showed some benefits of pumping your colostrum before birth. They were collecting the drops - that's all you would likely get - in a syringe, and freezing it for later administration to the baby.
I think it was supposed to help with supply in some way, but I don't know if it made the milk "come in" sooner.
Sorry I don't remember more. She gave me photocopies but I passed them on to my pediatrician and a friend who is a LLL leader.

All that said, I don't think I would bother to do it (if we ever end up having another baby.)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote