Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

Need Advice - BF after hospital stay

I just got home from 2 days in the ER. I had a stomach virus and dehydration, and it seemed like they were never going to release me. While I was there, I went probably 18+ hours without pumping and got painfully engorged. When they finally got me a pump, I started pumping every couple hours but I couldn't seem to get rid of these hard lumps (plugs?). Now that I'm
finally home and nursing again, they have gone down a lot but my boobs are really sore and tender. I also feel like my supply has taken a huge hit. Have any other mamas bounced back after an illness and have any tips for me? I also haven't eaten much in the past 2 days so I'm worried about my milk being insufficient.

Advertisement

loonyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
mpink22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Advice - BF after hospital stay

I would think that the combination of going 18 hours without emptying your breasts and bring dehydrated probably did it. Try to massage the clogged ducts so you don't get mastitis too! Just make sure you stay well hydrated now and keep pumping or BF. Maybe you could try some fenugreek too. Good luck!

These are just guesses, maybe some other mamas will have some ideas too
Old 01-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had food poisoning when my DD was 4 months old and was sick for about 24 hours. I kept her with me the whole time, though, and just nursed her whenever she wanted to.

If you nurse your baby on demand, your supply will come back. As for your dehydration and lack of nutrition, a couple of days of that will have no long-term effect on your baby. Mothers who are on the brink of starvation can nurse their babies, and mothers who eat nothing but junk food can also nurse. Your body will take care of your baby, even if it has to take from you to do so!!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Even just a cold can make your supply take a hit let alone a stomach virus or worse, keep baby and or pump after you regularly, and as you recover and rehydrate your supply will most likely come back. If you're worried in the mean time, keep an eye on LO's diapers - wet and dirty enough means they're probably doing fine.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
homeschoolkitty
Registered Users
seller

mama, don't worry. your milk will come back. though keep drinking. for a few days avoid tea and coffee as they dehydrate you. and Amen to the pp coments!
homeschoolkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone. He nursed pretty much all night. I can't tell if it's because he's not getting enough or if he's doing it for comfort. I'll keep an eye on his diapers. Being sick while nursing is tough!
loonyluna is offline   Reply With Quote