Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
masja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need advice mamas! Dd (2.5) has had severe diarrhea since Thursday (liquid) and has vomited the past 2 nights. She hasn't urinated since yesterday and it's so hard to get her to drink anything. I've been giving her pedialite and she sips it occasionally but refuses to drink barely anything, and she's usually always asking for water. I'm so close to bringing her to the ER! She's eating fine, but the way she's ha diarrhea she's heading towards dehydration! I've given her watermelon, and trying to figure out some other tricks to get fluids into her but am getting really worried any advice?!

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Need help pls! Diarrhea for 4 days and vomiting

One thing is avoid all milk products. I have to give my LO milk at night to help her calm down, but when I need to, I put 2oz milk and 6oz water. Also, it helps my LO if I give her some thin scrapings of peanut butter on a cracker or banana (banana is great for diarrhea) because then she wants water.
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
sea697
Registered Users
seller
seller

Honestly I would bring her to the ER or at least the urgent care if she has not urinated in that long. She could have something going on that's causing that or she could already be dehydrated. That plus the diarrhea and vomiting sounds like a lot for 2.5, plus kids that little often can't express to you exactly how they are feeling or even recognize it, so they may act less sick than they are. Have you tried pedialyte pops? Called your pedi?
Maybe I am just paranoid but my dd at that age ended up in the hospital with a severe kidney infection bc I didn't recognize the signs that something was really wrong. Listen to your instincts mama and I hope she feels better!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
crunch!910
Registered Users

DS had this over Christmas. It passed by 5 days, but only had the watery, liquid, mucousy diarrhea for 3 of those days. I hope your LO gets better soon!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
danigrace05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea697
Honestly I would bring her to the ER or at least the urgent care if she has not urinated in that long. She could have something going on that's causing that or she could already be dehydrated. That plus the diarrhea and vomiting sounds like a lot for 2.5, plus kids that little often can't express to you exactly how they are feeling or even recognize it, so they may act less sick than they are. Have you tried pedialyte pops? Called your pedi?
Maybe I am just paranoid but my dd at that age ended up in the hospital with a severe kidney infection bc I didn't recognize the signs that something was really wrong. Listen to your instincts mama and I hope she feels better!
I second this. Not urinating for that long is not good.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Agree with the pp- she needs to be seen. Not urinating is not good. We just went through a virus. Doc says not to worry unless they stop urinating. Take her in.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the PPs, go to the ER, mama. Rule of thumb is 9h without urinating and then you are dehydrated and need an IV.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, if she hasn't urinated I would take her in. She desperately needs some probiotics for her depleted system; up to 60 billion a day. And I understand the watermelon for fluids, but it's actually a diuretic (and high in fiber) and will make you go to the bathroom, so it might be aggravating her system more than it's helping. Maybe try some popsicles. I hope she gets to feeling better soon.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Noticed you are in BC- did you call the health link? They usually give good guidelines as to when a child needs to be seen.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
masja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies. She had a small pee before bed last night, drank a lot and didn't vomit. Going to see how today goes and get her in to the dr.