Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Hyperemesis and Breastfeeding

Anyone have HG and still able to breastfeed through their pregnancy?

With my pregnancy with Carter, I had all day sickness from 12dpo until two weeks before I delivered (dx with HG at 7 weeks). Although I was blessed to get sick three times during labor, too.

My concern with our next pregnancy, is that the HG will be back. I didn't gain any weight until the last week of pregnancy. I was barely able to keep anything down for most of it. I was down 35 lbs. from my pre-pregnancy weight two weeks after birth (too bad I was fluffy to begin with!).

Carter is still nursing, and very attached to his boobahs (esp. before bed). My concern is what having HG will do to my supply. I already know that getting pregnant raises the risk of my supply drying up. So is it almost a guarantee if I'm not able to keep food down to dry up? I know a lot of it is hormonal, but are there any tips to boost supply from the backlash of potential HG at least?

We're currently NTNP, but leaning much more closer to NP... Maybe it's weird that I'm more concerned about drying up than I am about puking for 40 weeks!

(not sure if this belongs in this forum or breastfeeding forum...so feel free to move, Mods ).

Advertisement

expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
raagen
Registered Users
seller

Have you ever checked out the leaky boob on Facebook? Last I checked Jessica of TLB was still nursing with HG.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hyperemesis and Breastfeeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by raagen View Post
Have you ever checked out the leaky boob on Facebook? Last I checked Jessica of TLB was still nursing with HG.
She is about 26wks with baby 6 and is living mostly off of IVs still. She is nursing at least one of her girls too.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

No, not yet! I have her on my FB, so I will shoot a message to her. I didn't think to post this there, primarily because of the new "stalker update" bar. We just don't want anyone knowing we are thinking about baby #2. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
She has a twitter account also so if you're trying to keep it quiet you could try contacting her through there
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I would not even consider TTC if I thought that I might get HG when pregnant and I wanted to nurse during the pregnancy. It's a strain of your body's nutritional stores to breastfeed, to be pregnant, and to be throwing up all of the time. You put your health at risk.
I would start trying to build up my nutritional stores now, before TTC. Lots of eggs, broth, organ meats if you can handle it, grass-fed dairy, coconut oil, etc. You might want to consider a probiotic supplement if you don't always take one also. Preparing in that way might help lessen the HG, but it will definitely help to strengthen your nutritional stores for the next pregnancy.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
Personally, I would not even consider TTC if I thought that I might get HG when pregnant and I wanted to nurse during the pregnancy. It's a strain of your body's nutritional stores to breastfeed, to be pregnant, and to be throwing up all of the time. You put your health at risk.
I would start trying to build up my nutritional stores now, before TTC. Lots of eggs, broth, organ meats if you can handle it, grass-fed dairy, coconut oil, etc. You might want to consider a probiotic supplement if you don't always take one also. Preparing in that way might help lessen the HG, but it will definitely help to strengthen your nutritional stores for the next pregnancy.
I agree. I've had HG with this pregnancy and its put me in the hospital for a few days twice. Would it be hard on you nursling if you had to be away in the hospital?
Hopefully you'll be spared from HG during your next pg. I didn't have any sickness with my first two!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
froggymiamore
Registered Users
seller

Yep, HG mama here too. Never tried to nurse while puking, but I cannot imagine doing it. I could barely keep myself alive! I was also in the hospital a few times with each pregnancy, and on zofran, which isn't something I'd like to nurse while taking.

If you're HG isn't too severe (HA!) maybe it's something that can be done, but mine is bad. I have tore my esophagus more than once from all of the throwing up i've done, been so dehydrated they had multiple people trying to start an IV, and was threatened with at home IV therapy. Maybe think about weaning and then start TTC. GL!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

I nursed through 2 pregnancies with hg. I do lose my full milk supply but not until about 20 weeks, I am guessing I would probably lose the supply anyway. But I was on bed rest for several weeks in the beginning due to hg and my nurslings just hung out in bed with me, watched movies and nursed.