Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
do you have a sensory kid? i have a question

my son has sensory issues.....mostly tactile.....since he has been working with an OT his behavior is getting a bit better but now he is getting worse on the food that is acceptable to eat (he has always been weird with different textures in his mouth)....he litterally only wants to eat peanut butter and jelly now (he has never like them in the past).....i dont get it....just wondering if some of the sensory things get worse while others get better? and should i just go along with his new food issue? or should i still 'make' him eat other things? sigh....

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My sons oral sensory issues got worse as he got older. We dont force him to eat anything. We just make what he likes. He is 8 now and has a limited food bank, but he is healthy, strong and active. We are sure he gets a vitamin every night.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

Re: do you have a sensory kid? i have a question

We do a multivitamin too. We strongly encourage him to try things, ONE bite. We don't make him, ever. I always serve at least one thing he likes and he is allowed to eat something else (often pbj) if he doesn't like/eat dinner. He is already in the 90% for height and 15% for weight. I find that he often takes one step forward and two steps back if ANYTHING is going on. Sometimes he eats okay, but mostly he doesn't He is 6. I mostly make him what he wants, which is 90% fruit and veggies. He rarely eats meat and then only plain meat. Sometimes it is worse, but sometimes I think we maintain okay.
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks ladies....a multivitamin is great.....i need to get those in him again....bc he eats no veggies which is really odd bc my other kids LOVE veggies and fruits.....that is mostly what i eat, turkey on occasion but no other meat.....my son wont eat meat of any kind either....he wont drink milk EVER....i do worry if he is getting enough nutrients
Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

I would talk to your OT and your pediatrician and also get a referral to a nutritionist who can help you figure out how to get your DS the nutrients he needs with the limited foods he will eat. DS is weird about some foods (mainly fruits), but luckily not enough to really affect his diet. We don't even make him take a single bite b/c he will immediately vomit. (Found this out the hard way several times before I realized it probably was easier to just not force the issue.) Upon our OT's advice, we do make him keep the "gross" food on his plate, even if he doesn't want to eat it.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, both kids have a vitamin everyday.

Neither Eat well at all, but both are Huge.. so they must be getting something.

Miranda is 7 and has gotten TONS worse over the years. We're down to about a handful of things she'll eat. ugh.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
MM Baby Wear Carriers
Registered Users
Formerly: INANNAMOON13
seller

My Mood:

Im having issues with my 7-yr-old dd right now...She was doing well and now we're taking huge steps back. Suddenly shes doing this thing where she'll start to eat something and she spits out every bite after she chews it, and the things she will eat(like cereal) she chews until it is liquid...it's very upsetting for me because she is already so tiny. We are tall. She is the most petite-body-wise. (my mother and sister are only 5ft tall and my father is 6'3 which is where I get my 5'9 height, and hubby is 6'1) My oldest dd is very tall and my youngest is my ds(3) who is a giant at 40 inches tall and 38 pounds. And then theres my little Bella, at seven she is still only 36 pounds-weighing LESS than my 3 1/2-yr old ds!!! I was told by peds to try Carnation instant breakfast(choc milk) to try and pump up the calories but it feels like nothings working. And on top of that she's having issues with clothing more than normal- going through a good four outfits and having fits every morning making both her and my oldest late for school...and bedtime is a nightmare because if shes not tucked in JUST right she freaks out-it's emotionaly exhausting
Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Baby Wear Carriers
Im having issues with my 7-yr-old dd right now...She was doing well and now we're taking huge steps back. Suddenly shes doing this thing where she'll start to eat something and she spits out every bite after she chews it, and the things she will eat(like cereal) she chews until it is liquid...it's very upsetting for me because she is already so tiny. We are tall. She is the most petite-body-wise. (my mother and sister are only 5ft tall and my father is 6'3 which is where I get my 5'9 height, and hubby is 6'1) My oldest dd is very tall and my youngest is my ds(3) who is a giant at 40 inches tall and 38 pounds. And then theres my little Bella, at seven she is still only 36 pounds-weighing LESS than my 3 1/2-yr old ds!!! I was told by peds to try Carnation instant breakfast(choc milk) to try and pump up the calories but it feels like nothings working. And on top of that she's having issues with clothing more than normal- going through a good four outfits and having fits every morning making both her and my oldest late for school...and bedtime is a nightmare because if shes not tucked in JUST right she freaks out-it's emotionaly exhausting
I started buying under armor for my son and it has helped immensely! Have you guys tried compression clothing? My ODS will only wear compression shirts and 7x slim fit skinny jeans (which are hard to Sind skinny enough for him). Our insurance doesn't cover Spio (we pay for all his medical out of pocket).
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
Old 01-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
MM Baby Wear Carriers
Registered Users
Formerly: INANNAMOON13
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersmomoo View Post
I started buying under armor for my son and it has helped immensely! Have you guys tried compression clothing? My ODS will only wear compression shirts and 7x slim fit skinny jeans (which are hard to Sind skinny enough for him). Our insurance doesn't cover Spio (we pay for all his medical out of pocket).
Yep she'll only wear skinny jeans(I've only found that the ones from GAP fit here because I can buy a 4t or a five with the adjustable bands)or leggings. She was just telling me yesterday when she tore her closet apart and found a tight-fitting shirt that she wants "all her shirts to feel this way". The problem is that it's cold here-and layering is a HUGE no-no for her. The best I get is a t-shirt under her winter coat and a zip up minky hoodie in her backback that she puts on once she's at school. And underwear-lets not even GO into that,lol. She refuses to wear anything thats not squeezing the life out of her-if anything is "sagging" down there- even a little she's a total spaz! Even with no seams. But on a good note, my oldest who's now 10 used to be so bad-I remember she missed 25 days of school when she was in kindergarten because I physically couldn't get her dressed...everything was "crunchy". But she's gradually almost completely done a 180 and wears most things now, so I have high hopes for my Bella. It's just hard to see them struggle and not feel like you can help sometimes.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Baby Wear Carriers

Yep she'll only wear skinny jeans(I've only found that the ones from GAP fit here because I can buy a 4t or a five with the adjustable bands)or leggings. She was just telling me yesterday when she tore her closet apart and found a tight-fitting shirt that she wants "all her shirts to feel this way". The problem is that it's cold here-and layering is a HUGE no-no for her. The best I get is a t-shirt under her winter coat and a zip up minky hoodie in her backback that she puts on once she's at school. And underwear-lets not even GO into that,lol. She refuses to wear anything thats not squeezing the life out of her-if anything is "sagging" down there- even a little she's a total spaz! Even with no seams. But on a good note, my oldest who's now 10 used to be so bad-I remember she missed 25 days of school when she was in kindergarten because I physically couldn't get her dressed...everything was "crunchy". But she's gradually almost completely done a 180 and wears most things now, so I have high hopes for my Bella. It's just hard to see them struggle and not feel like you can help sometimes.
Good to hear about your oldest!! It's not bitter here, but it's cold. I buy him the Coldgear Compression. They are fuzzy and soft inside!! Pricey! But worth it to me to minimize morning screaming! You can sometimes find them on sale online though or at sports stores and consignment shops. They also have the mock turtleneck. He hates wearing his coats because they aren't "skinny" enough. I agree, it's so sad to watch them struggle.