Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
rosenfried2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
breech equals automatic c-section?

I'm watching A Baby Story and this woman was dilated to a 3 and baby had turned breech. They told her it was an automatic c-section. I've not heard this before. Any experience like this?

Advertisement

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: breech equals automatic c-section?

For some doctors, midwives like to try and turn the baby. I can't watch those shows anymore. So many unnessisary sections X.x
Old 01-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it depends on the presentation. Ivy was full breech, (feet first, I can't remember the actual term) but that meant automatic c-section for me.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Doesnt have to be but hospitals will push for one. My mil delivered one of her babies breech and naturally. She said it was really rough, but it can be done.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

In my experience, yes. My older daughter turned breech on her due date and they didn't give me a choice and I had a c-section 5 days later. A big reason I don't trust OB's anymore. This time around I have having a home birth
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

friend went into labor on own baby was breech ended in c section
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
martin1005
Registered Users

My doctor stated it was "bad medical practice" for her to even let me attempt a breech birth so automatic c-section for me. I have heard since then that chiropractors and some doctors have ways of turning the baby, but I've also heard it doesn't always work and isn't very comfortable either.
martin1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
RoccerMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Boo'sMama
seller
seller

My Mood:
Most docs refuse to deliver a breech baby vaginally because of the possible complications. Ds was an acrobat and turned full circle about 3 times. When he went head down finally at 39 weeks my options were to be induced or risk him turning again and having a c section. so I got induced. Figured it was the lesser of evils. They were also talking about doing a version where they turn the baby by hand but its risky, painful, and doesn't always work. Plain crappy situation....
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

Not necessarily! In the medical world almost everyone will push for c/s, but in the end it is YOUR CHOICE whether or not to sign the consent form and short of court order they really can't force you to have a c/s. Many midwives are still trained in the art of breech delivery with good outcomes. My OB (she is WONDERFUL) told me should would deliver my baby breech if it came to that. :-) I asked if hospital policy would stop her and she said they couldn't force me to have a c/s, either!

Breech babies used to be something that really scared me, but I did a lot of research, including reading some of the stats in the back of Henci Goer's book, and statistically speaking, the bad outcomes attributed to breech deliveries tend to be associated with other problems related to breechness (prematurity, deformations, etc) and not the breech presentation itself. That made me feel so much better! It turned out that in the study, breech babies who were delivered via c/s still ended up with problems due to the underlying problems that were causing them to be breech.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
miabean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It used to be that breech babies were born vaginally, but now doctors don't know(?) how to catch a baby that comes feet first. The best thing to do is not to touch it. Babies take a breath shortly after they are touched, so the longer they go without touch the better

lactivist, intactivist, cloth diapering, crazy mama to THREE boys
miabean is offline   Reply With Quote