Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
CAaddict
Registered Users
seller

Pump help please

I am returning to work this week (unexpectedly!) and am having trouble deciding what to do about a pump. I currently have a Lansinoh manual pump that works great for me now, but I suppose it is unreasonable to expect it to hold up to regular use?

My schedule will require at least 10 pumping sessions a week. Is there any reason to need a double pump, other than to save time? I was looking at the Medela Swing as a cheaper option but not sure if this would provide any upgrade from my manual pump.

I should add that I am in Canada so prices are a bit bloated. I could make a trip across the border if there is some great deal in the US, though I'd like to not have to spring for the top of the line Medela. Are there any other brands I should look into?

My son is 5.5 months old, so I will be pumping for at least another 6ish months. Not exactly sure on rental prices but I would guess my best option would be to buy? Then I could use for subsequent LOs...

Sorry for my thinking out loud, I just haven't thought about this pump thing, and now --AHHH!-- I need one! Any thoughts/opinions/recommendations would be awesomely appreciated!

Advertisement

CAaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pump help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAaddict View Post
I am returning to work this week (unexpectedly!) and am having trouble deciding what to do about a pump. I currently have a Lansinoh manual pump that works great for me now, but I suppose it is unreasonable to expect it to hold up to regular use?
The pump (I'm assuming its a hand pump) will hold up, but the question is, will your wrists? My friend was using a hand/manual pump and it caused her a lot of pain. I'd say, if you are gonna do a manual pumping, I'd just learn how to hand express. Its not hard and won't hurt your wrists.

This is an excellent video on hand expression, put out by the University of Stanford. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Quote:
My schedule will require at least 10 pumping sessions a week. Is there any reason to need a double pump, other than to save time? I was looking at the Medela Swing as a cheaper option but not sure if this would provide any upgrade from my manual pump.
You could go with a single electric pump. Not as convenient as double pumping, and some mamas won't get a let down unless pumping both sides at the same time, but it would be a cheaper option.

Quote:
I should add that I am in Canada so prices are a bit bloated. I could make a trip across the border if there is some great deal in the US, though I'd like to not have to spring for the top of the line Medela. Are there any other brands I should look into?

My son is 5.5 months old, so I will be pumping for at least another 6ish months. Not exactly sure on rental prices but I would guess my best option would be to buy? Then I could use for subsequent LOs...

Sorry for my thinking out loud, I just haven't thought about this pump thing, and now --AHHH!-- I need one! Any thoughts/opinions/recommendations would be awesomely appreciated!
A hospital grade, double electric pump would run about $45 for 2 weeks, in our area. You might be able to find cheaper but at that price, you might just want to buy.

Medela is a good brand, as well as Ameda. Advent is not quite as good and I'm not as familiar with others.

If you buy, you're right, you can use it with future babies.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 01-16-2012 at 08:14 AM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
CAaddict
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the advice!
I've done quite a bit of pumping with my manual pump and while I don't necessarily get tired, it is b o r i n g. Lol. Doesn't hurt, but I would definitely prefer to zone out and let an electric do the work!
Was just doing a bit of online research and thinking about the Ameda Purely Yours double electric--I like that I can buy it without the backpack/bag to save some $$. There are also a bunch on CL that I might have to look into...
CAaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pump help please

If you're not squeamish about buying a used pump, then that's the route I would go. I just bought a used PISA from ebay for $70. It's a $299 pump. I gave mine up after I was sure we were done with kids (surprise!) and there's NO WAY I was going to pay full price for another one. CL, ebay, and here on the FSOT forum are good places to look.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAaddict
Thanks for the advice!
I've done quite a bit of pumping with my manual pump and while I don't necessarily get tired, it is b o r i n g. Lol. Doesn't hurt, but I would definitely prefer to zone out and let an electric do the work!
Was just doing a bit of online research and thinking about the Ameda Purely Yours double electric--I like that I can buy it without the backpack/bag to save some $$. There are also a bunch on CL that I might have to look into...
I have the Purely Yours and am quite pleased with it.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Mom2Milo
Registered Users

I have the medela pump in style and it's ok. It's made it through 2 kids but if I had to do it over I would go w/ a different brand. My medela has too many parts and I have been in a few emergency situations where I had to run to target or BRU in the middle of work to replace a membrane. Moisture constantly gets into the tubing also. Just recently I had to pay almost $40 for a part of a part (didn't need the whole part) to fix something that shouldn't have broken in the first place, but parts only have a 90 day warranty.

I would recommend a double electric; I don't know what I would do without one. I can get a lot of work done while pumping. They rent for about $30-60/mo depending on the pump where I am in Idaho.
Mom2Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I would go with hygeia