Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Explain to me about Patient Intakes..

Hello Ladies,

I am almost 6wks with babe #4. I have NEVER used an OB or even a Family Prac. Dr for anything Prenatal. I was using our local Dr, whom I wasn't that fond of. She ordered me Clomid, which is the cycle I fell pg on. Then she went to the East Coast for at least 3mnths for a Family Medical issue, and the Dr she left her Patients to doesn't handle OB. I used my Chiropractor back home in CA for all my testing with my last two, had a MW that balanced out the rest. Now I am facing the harsh reality of having to go through an intake to even get a scan ordered. DH said screw it, head to the ER and have it done there again. Then we have more time to pick a Dr we like, once we know the pg is "ok" and progressing as it should. What should I do? I am thinking DH is right. With our last DD, I had to go to the ER twice because I has been told I had m/c and in reality, she was fine and the 5wk scan showed the gest sac, yolk sac and fetal pole. They were not in the least bit concerned it wasn't a dire ER, and they were actually excited to have a case with a good ending. I'm just familiar with being in Cali where I can go to pretty much any Dr and they will order my bloods or a scan whenever the need arises, including early ones. I have amazing insur. that covers everything under the sun, and still run into nothing but isses here in ND.

Advertisement

AmeliasMum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Explain to me about Patient Intakes..

I'm not sure what I'm about to say is the same as your situation, but here's what I've experienced.

With my original OB my "intake" was a visit with his nurse. We just went over my entire medical history, took blood pressure, got a starting weight, asking how I wanted labor to go, etc. I switched to a midwifery group around 12-14 weeks and just faxed over my records. Didn't need to do much else.

I have an intake with my new OB/CNM Jan 31st. I'm assuming it's more of the same, my medical history, starting stats, etc.

I don't think there's anyway around an intake unless you stay with your previous provider. What does an intake usually consist of, that you know of, around your area? Who are you going to go to for prenatal care, anyone? If you just want a scan to make sure everything looks good, I don't see the big deal in gonig to the ER if you're nervous,especially if things went well last time.

Don't stress over this mama. You can call a couple OBs, CNMs, and Midwives and set up an interview appointment and see how you like them. Then if you find one you do like you'll only have to do the intake once and be done. Good luck mama!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Going to the er is incredibly expensive and should not been used for non emergencys. Why can't you just find an OB in your area or mw? I don't think a scan is necessary at this point when bloodwork can confirm the pregnancy.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsmom View Post
Going to the er is incredibly expensive and should not been used for non emergencys. Why can't you just find an OB in your area or mw? I don't think a scan is necessary at this point when bloodwork can confirm the pregnancy.
I agree. That kind of thing is why I had to wait for 6 hours with my dad in the ER this week when he had a real emergency; people clogging up the Er who weren't really sick.

what is it about the intake you don't like? they usually just do bloodwork, fill out paperwork, and maybe do a pap. I'm kind of surprised you were given clomid without being followed by a RE, don't the RE's do the initial OB visit and then send you on to an OB?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Intake at my OB is a boring appt, and you don't have an u/s or even see the OB. It is just paperwork and baseline weight, bp and urine stuff. At the intake appt, they order bloodwork and schedule your first OB appt and u/s for around 8-10 weeks (unless you have indications that require earlier monitoring).

I would ask around and get recommendations for OBs/MWs from local moms. I would not go to the ER, but not because of financial reasons. First of all it is cold and flu season and you are likely to catch the plague in the ER, secondly the ER docs are often really inexperience with pregnancy and can give you really misleading information about results (I know a couple of women that were told they mc'd by ER and later found out from the OB that the pregnancy was healthy).
Old 01-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsmom
I agree with this. It is crazy to use the ER like your personal doctor and the copayment would be high too. I didn't start prenatal care with either pregnancy until past 12 weeks. Why do you even need to go in so early?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went in at 12 weeks with my first (to the OB) and to the midwife at 11 weeks with my second pregnancy. I also don't really understand the problem; just look around and interview some offices, research the office online if you can, and set up an appointment for when you want to go in. It doesn't have to be early. Unless you want an ultrasound, you don't have to go in until you feel like you need prenatal care. I wouldn't want to go to the ER, personally, for the same reasons that others have mentioned. I avoid going to the hospital unless I'm actually sick, because it seems like I always leave that place with some kind of stomach bug or something awful.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I misread your post mama, and I agree with the other posters. If nothing is wrong I would skip the ER. You're gonna have to find an OB/Midwife anyways (unless you do unassisted) so you mine as well start looking now. Having been on clomid though you should have a doc mama, not the ER.

good luck mama

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b
I misread your post mama, and I agree with the other posters. If nothing is wrong I would skip the ER. You're gonna have to find an OB/Midwife anyways (unless you do unassisted) so you mine as well start looking now. Having been on clomid though you should have a doc mama, not the ER.

good luck mama
Agreed. You'll need an OB or midwife eventually. Might as well find one sooner rather than later.
The emergency room is for emergencies. My dh had a stroke over the summer (chiropractor over twisted his neck and tore an artery). While we were at the ER I took a few minutes to nurse my baby in the waiting room while they were doing another MRI on dh. While I was nursing the guy in the chair behind me was on the phone and I heard him tell who ever he was talking to that he was there with his girlfriend so they could get an ultrasound and that he would send pics later. Then he reassured who he was talking with that no she wasn't cramping or bleeding they just wanted to see baby. Ya, my dh was in critical condition dr's not sure if he would live and there was also a very sick baby back in the ER the last thing I wanted was one of the DR wasting time on that woman. Totally wrong but I suppose thats just my opinion.
Besides the ER is often filled with sick contagious people. I would hate to see you pick up a germ there! Your body needs to stay strong for baby Have you considered getting a doppler? I got one for around 30 and was able to find babys heartbeat at 7w0d!
ETA: also maybe look in to independent ultrasound places if you feel you can't wait! Around here there is one called Ultrasona. They are not doctors just a place that let's mamas see their babys. They will point out heartbeat, genders, etc. No need for a DR referral. I believe they charge 70$ here for an ultrasound and you get pics.

Last edited by jes750; 01-17-2012 at 03:38 PM.
jes750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Pretty much what everyone else has said. At 6 weeks, they aren't going to see a whole lot and there really isn't anything that can be done if you are miscarrying. There really isn't much of a reason to have an ultrasound at 6 weeks unless you suspect an etopic pregnancy or you have a medical condition that being pregnant could worsen (and presumably this isn't the case if you got pg using meds).

I would beging the process of finding a health care provider for your pregnancy.