View Poll Results: Did you use a doula for your 2nd+ birth?
Yes, and highly recommend it. 9 42.86%
Yes, but didn't find it necessary 4 19.05%
No but I wish I had 1 4.76%
No and I'm glad I didn't 5 23.81%
Other (please explain!) 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Doulas for 2nd+ babies?

We're due with #2 in September and had a great doula with DS. I didn't quite get the birth of my dreams but she was so helpful. Unfortunately she's out of state now and won't be able to attend our birth this time around. I've found several prospective doulas, including some she recommends, but do I really need one the second time?

I def. want to try to go med free again, but am okay with getting an epidural if necessary. DF and I feel confident that we know what to do, and well, we don't exactly have the $500 lying around for a Doula. Our Doula last time was still a volunteer so she was free. We could go that route again, but I'd prefer someone with experience this time around if we can't get Barbara again.

Did you ue a doula for your 2nd+ children? Why or why not?

Advertisement

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Doulas for 2nd+ babies?

I had a doula with my first and I'm glad I did. With my second, I just didn't really feel a need, and I didn't end up needing one. Both DH and I were experienced enough to be able to handle things ourselves, and we were using the same midwife that we knew and trusted. It worked out great. Both were home births.

I would just go with your gut. If you have a feeling that you would want one, hire one. If not, then skip it.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have had one for my last 2 births and will continue to have one should I have any more children. I think they are important whether its baby #1 or #21

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Every birth is different.

I had a Doula at my second birth and will have one at my third.

While DH are well informed and know what we'd do differently from our first birth, our second birth was totally different and I'm so very thankful my Doula was there to help to guide me through the new situation (brow presentation, no access to a tub with a planned water birth, eventual emergency CS). I definitely want her at our third birth!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was going to for my 3rd (first unmedicated, all in hospital) but after talking with DH he decided HE would be the doula (sorta). He was great, and I'm so glad we did not have someone else there. It was a great experience for us both. He was there for me, he knew what I wanted/didn't want, and was physically supportive as well with back rubs/pressure while I was on the birthing ball.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never had a doula myself, but I have a great midwife and a great DH, so I don't feel like I "need" someone else. I've had three in hospital, and two at home, three drug-free.
I'd definitely recommend a doula to anyone having their first baby, or anyone trying a VBAC, or who had a traumatic experience the first time around. If you've had a good birth and know what you want and don't want, and have a doctor/ob/midwife who will support your wishes, and a support person who really knows how to help you and who will advocate for you so you don't have to fight while you're in labour, then you'd probably be OK without. But, if one of those things is missing, I'd still definitely go with a doula.
On one forum I'm on, one mama had 7 babies without, and then had her 8th, 9th and 10th with a doula. She'd definitely recommend getting one even for second and subsequent babies!
All the best for a great birth, which ever way you go!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a c-section with both of my children for cord issues and transverse breach babies so I have never had a vaginal birth. I would like to try an Vbac IF we can manage to get pregnant again and IF that little one would cooperate. We'll see how that goes though. It hasn't exactly worked out for me in the past, but it would probably be something that I would spring for it I could at all afford it.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never had a doula myself, but I don't see why they'd be any less helpful in second or subsequent births. Birth is challenging and having someone there to advocate for you is important We couldn't afford a doula with the first, and now we may or may not have one. It'll be 1 of 2 birth assistants for this baby, and 1 happens to be a professional doula with 30 years of experience, so here's to hoping!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

My best friend acted as my doula for my second birth. It was the first pain med free birth I had, and I wanted someone there for me. It was free since she's my bestie, so I don't know about that part except to suggest asking friends if they'd want to help out. But I did feel like she was extremely helpful and important to have there.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #10
crunch!910
Registered Users

The plan was a homebirth with midwife and doula. We just can't afford any of that. Doulas start in about $350 here, and we just cannot afford that. So DH ispreparing to be my only labor support. I'm not sure if my midwives (practice of 4 overseen by an awesome dr!) stay with me much throughout labor or if they offer any help, but I'm not planning on it.