Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Registered Users
I will be a new momma

Hello all, I am due Aug 25 and this will be my first baby and pregnancy. My hubby and I are very excited! He was married previously and has 2 lovely kids: 11 yr old girl and 6 yr old boy. They used disposables for both of them and did not try or consider cloth.

However, I am pretty firm on our choice to use cloth diapers. So, considering I have never had a baby (it seems most moms on here have much more experience that me ) I have changed diapers before, but never changed a cloth diaper. I have been trying to read up on some FAQs around to give me a better idea of the CD world.

However, it seems everyone has a different favorite type of CD and brand of CD that works best for them. So, what is a new girl to do in prep for a newborn? All the types sound find to me, I don't mind trying one out over another, but how do I stock up--what is easiest for baby and for me to start with. (I hope to CD almost exclusively).

MuddyInsignia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: I will be a new momma

I suggest getting a trial package. Not sure where, I'm sure others will have links. But you can try a few different brands and types. Also, it will depend on your budget and how much you are willing to invest. Some people love flats, some prefer fitteds, some only use all-in-ones since they are most like sposies. I personally LOVE AIOs, but I do not want to ever pay that much for diapers. And I love prefolds and flats anyhow, so I use those.

You just have to try and see. Its very trial and error. But you will eventually get it. Even though it can seem crazy overwhelming at first.
Emily, mommy to Sebastian and partner to Corey
Desperately In Search Of: a perfect wrap
Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Congrats and welcome! This will be our second and our first cloth baby so we are in the same boat as far as cloth.
Andrea SAHM to Mason dec 09 and oue 12 week angel 2011. wife to my amazing soldier and hero Chris currently expecting our rainbow in AUGUST 2012!!!
andyoly82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I really loved pockets when we started out. My husband used them with few complaints (though he thinks I am a bit crazy for doing cloth), I had a huge rotation of 50 that I would sit and stuff one a week in front of a girly show. The advantage to those over all in ones is that you can bleach the inserts, which simply has to happen some times. Some AIOs felt too complicated for me... My favorite brands of pockets were Green Acre Designs and Blueberries, I tried fuzzibunz, rumparooz, happy heiny, and a few others but they didn't fit my daughter well so I sold them all. My favorite inserts are blueberry hemp/microterry combo, they are the thinnest inserts with the most absorption I could find.

Married to DH 4 years, DD born 3/2009
sonitaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Registered Users

I use cd part time and I use a mix of bum genius and prefolds, trifolded in a cover. I have been having a hard time with my BG's smelling so I reach for prefolds more often. They are so easy to use and super easy to wash! Green Mountain Diapers are the kind I have.
Shannon- married to DH for seven years, mom to DD 6/10/08, DS 8/29/10 and Gabriella Marie (Ella), born on 7/5/12 with Trisomy 13 and in heaven with Jesus. And our rainbow- DS2 12/24/13
s2grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

Since you'll be trying to figure out your stash, I wouldn't buy anything new.

I'd pick up a little of everything to try. My tester stash originally looked something like this:
12 prefolds
6 pockets (all different brands)
6 covers (all different brands)
6 fitteds (all different brands)

With DD 1 we tried everything, but DH preferred the pockets. After spending hours of our lives stuffing pockets, we tried fitteds with DD2. He absolutely loves them. As simple as pockets, but no stuffing and less laundry. We were sure what we wanted within 3 days of birth and I was able to order everything within 2 weeks. So we did use sposies some (to make up for the stash we hadn't completely built) but were able to phase them out really quickly. And don't forget to sell off what you won't be using.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Registered Users

I was pretty much obsessed with diapers when I was pg with #1 and bought most of my diapers off of fsot. Not sure how you feel about used diapers, my hubby was opposed, but after doing diapers for the last 3 years, he's seen what a good deal used diapers are! We love our green mountain diaper for prefolds and use bum genius when we are in a rush! Good luck deciding and's super fun!
Katy ~~ Mama to Jack 4-21-08 and Josie 11-09-09 and Charley 1-12-11
mkekaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:
It's nice to see another first timer here. I agree with PP suggestions to try out a few things to see what works best for you.

With dd we used prefolds when she was a newbie and pockets later on. All-in-ones were convenient but just took too long to dry and seemed harder to clean.
Tara, happily at home with dd Rowan(4/04)
tazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:
We started at 3 mo with ds #1 so I just has bg pockets and fuzzibunz..loved both until I found best bottoms which fit him better. We have a few others such as an itti bitti tutto and some wahm fitteds. You have to try and see what you like.
My name is Amanda, happily married to Ernesto I'm a former HS teacher turned SAHM to Jake 6.7.10 and Norah 7.23.12

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Registered Users
So much if it depends on your personality, space, and budget available. I personally live AI2s because I hate having to wash and line dry covers for every single pee. But others just want it to be easy at changing time. I also don't have a lot of storage space so that effected my decision to. You are so lucky, you get to start fresh! Try lots, and have fun with it. As many times as you are going to be changing, washing, and folding those things, you better like them or they will drive you crazy! I love changing, washing, and putting away mine. I look forward to it bc they are so cute all stacked up!

- Jennifer (mother of dd 9 and ds 3 months, wife to dh who studies his butt off)
Homeschooling mom of DD 10/01, DS 5/11, and expecting #3 June 2013.
OptoMom is offline   Reply With Quote