Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
jakeysmama
Registered Users
seller

Skin Care?

Hi Ladies! I am looking for some skin care input. I had horrific (and I mean it was REALLY bad) pregnancy acne with my DS and it seems to be starting already with this pregnancy. I have freakishly sensitive skin (rosacea on my face) so I am at a loss on what to do for the lovely pregnancy skin. I know that some mama's I was prego with last time swore by ProActiv, but I was told not to use that during pregnancy, and especially not with rosacea.

So what do you do to keep your skin looking healthy during your pregnancy?

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Re: Skin Care?

I'm probably not much help, but I have super sensitive skin and bad pregnancy acne too. I' bought some acne free sensitive skin before I knew I was pregnant and I've kept using it. I know it's a lot like proactiv and I don't know why they say don't use it, but that's what I've been using. I've really only been doing the first step though and once a day instead of twice but the one step once a day has made a drastic difference. If my facer is super bad and I'm feeling ok enough I will use the second and third step every once in a while but only when necessary.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have you tried the apple cider vinegar, egg recipe? I can't remember it off the top of my head but I could find it again. It's supposed to be great. I just use Oil OF Olay sensitive skin foaming wash. And then follow up with a daily UV moisturizer. My skin isn't too prone to breakouts but it's pretty sensitive.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
aphlbrck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Uh Oh, my last Dr. told me Proactive was fine. I used it with my daughter and it cleared me right up. Other than that--are you washing your face with an antibacterial soap? I don't use antibacterial stuff on a regular basis but I use an antibac bar soap for my face in the am and pm and that helps keep my acne somewhat at bay. My skin isn't super sensitive but I break out like a 15 year old.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
g&g
Registered Users

My Mood:

I started using Peter Thomas Roth acne spot and area lotion & their 10% glycolic acid moisturizer at night before I got pregnant, and it cleared up my acne prone, sensitive skin right away. I wanted to cry with how good my skin finally looked! I am still using it, even though it does have vitamin A as one of the ingredients. I have read conflicting thing regarding topical vitamin A and pregnancy, and since I only use a small amount once a day, I believe that I am not doing any harm.

ETA: and it is like the 11th ingredient on the list
Katy, outnumbered Marine wife/mom/geologist to a spunky Hoo, a sweet Pipes, with #3 due in Aug, and 2 crazy wiener dogs, Graben and Gabi.

Last edited by g&g; 01-19-2012 at 07:24 AM.
g&g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Beaner's Mom
Registered Users
seller

I've been doing oil cleansing for about 6 weeks now and it is awesome! It is kind of hippy-dippy but I'm trying to learn to work more *with* my body's natural processes than bullying it into submission

Plus, you only have to do it every 2nd or 3rd day; the rest of the time you just rinse your face with warm water! So, that works really well for my hectic schedule.

I used to get random breakouts and dry, flaky patches. Since starting this, my skin has cleared up and softened. Plus no more dry patches, which really surprised me because that's always been a huge issue in the winter time.

I'm using the ratio for balanced skin with sunflower oil as my carrier, which makes it crazy cheap!

More info here: http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

ETA: I know it seems counter-intuitive to use oil to cleanse your skin but, if you think about it, any eye-makeup remover worth its salt is oil based. I've also had several mommy friends of mine try it as well with the same success!

Last edited by Beaner's Mom; 01-19-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Beaner's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
LittleTadpoleDesigns
Registered Users
Formerly: littlest_one
seller

My Mood:

That's really interesting Beth... I've always thought that most cleaners seems counter-productive so this sort of gels with what I've always thought! Something I'd be willing to give a try.

My Etsy Shop ~ Get 5% off with "DSFIVE"
Snap Belts for Preschoolers ~ Crocheted Toys ~ Custom Soother & Mitten Clips ~ Nursing Necklaces Facebook
LittleTadpoleDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
jakeysmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Ladies! I think I'll look into the Peter Thomas Roth and the oil treatments and see which might work for me. I appreciate the advice
Old 01-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
alliecatn1
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok, I know this will seem crazy, but check this out http://simplemom.net/oil-cleansing-method/. It has worked wonders for me!! Easy, cheap, gentle and no chemicals :-)

Over the moon!! After 17 months of TTC, our sweet miracle, Corwin Gregory, was born August 29, 2012!! ...And our surprise baby #2 is due April 16, 2014
alliecatn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
LivingSimplyNM
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use a little baking soda and make a paste and scrub gently when my acne gets bad. It works really well. Best to do in the shower because it is hard to rinse it all off at the sink