Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Registered Users
So it sounds like a lot of you have dopplers for at home. The first midwife I saw with Joey told me she recommended against them because moms wouldn't be able to find a heartbeat one night and would worry into a panic. She said they had a ton of these cases show up at Labor and Delivery and that they tended to cause more worry than anything.

We did get a graco listner (like a stethescope) but I never found a heartbeat. Even in the hospital they couldn't do external monitoring (though their doppler normally worked). They said my abs were in too good shape... last thing I thought would happen from working out... anyways...

What has been your experience with them? Do they calm your worries more often than raise them? Is there a learning curve? Do you think I would have trouble using one since my doc could always use it on me?

Meg, mama to Joey (2/2010) and one on the way due in Aug!

Last edited by RunawayBunny; 01-19-2012 at 12:54 PM.
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: home dopplers

I rented a medical grade one with my 1st child and I never had a problem finding the HB. There is a learning curve but I didn't try it until I was at least 12 weeks and had heard it in the office already. I found it helpful the first time but didn't get one last time and probably will not again this time.
Married to my soulmate Chris since 2004 Mama to big boy D 8/12/06, Big Girl M 3/7/10 and my sweet new boy E 9/10/12!

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I picked up a medical grade one at a "once upon a child" for $25. If not for that, I wouldn't own one.

That said, I've never had a problem finding the heartbeat after 11-12 weeks. I am very familiar with what the heart beat should sound like and am very patient.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Registered Users

i have a good one i got off craigslist. if i hadn't stumbled on a good deal i wouldn' thave gotten one either. i thought i had found the heartbeat early but turns out it was mine... oops. i was new to this and didn't really know what to look for. but i liked having it to listen to him. more just because it was amazing to me and not because i was worried about not finding one. i found i didn't use it much later in the pregnancy when he was kicking away. a friend of mine is using it right now as she was worried she wasn't feeling any kicking. another friend though didn't want to use it for her last pregnancy as she would worry if she couldn't find the heartbeat she would freak out.
if you think you might freak out if you cant find it, i can see where it wouldn't be the best idea.
chach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Registered Users

I rented one with my last pregnancy for $45 a month from bellybeats. I would not do that again. This time I have one you can get for $50 shipped and although you can feel the plastic is not the same quality it works just as well. I was a mess with my last pregnancy and I worried all the time. (For good reason the baby and I were both very high risk) The doppler was very reliable in getting the heart rate and only helped to reassure me. As the months went on I rarely used it but it helped in those early weeks and when I was really worried as I got farther along. You do have to know that just because you get a good heart rate that does not mean that everything is okay. If you feel you should see a doctor than you should regardless of heart rate. Overall I think they are worth the cost and should be pretty reliable. If you don't get the heart beat the first time you should take a break and just try again a little later. With the one I have now I tried around 8 weeks and couldn't get it. I got it at 9 weeks 5 days. I haven't tried again since than.
[SIZE="3"]Megan, Wife to Ron, Mommy to Ben 5-7-09, Grant 4-22-10 Abby 6-16-12,Alex 6-15-15 You're so beautiful to think of, but so hard to be without, E no longer in our home, always in our heart
FerventlyDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Registered Users
I have a cheap angel doppler. Just found the hb today. With dd i never had any probs after 9 wk. sometimes i had to try harder than other.
Emily, wife to Jon and mama to Joshua (11/05), Gianna (5/10), and Isaiah!
Baby 4 coming in May!
jemilyon is offline   Reply With Quote