Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

For those that have fostered/adopted - Am I being unreasonable/Question

What are reasonable expectations from your social worker?

We were assigned a social worker sometime back in March "officially" for our home study. We have had no contact with her yet. She was on vacation when they assigned us to her for a family issue which ok no biggie, she mailed us our packed from her home & we have a million things we had to take care of anyway & we were given a # to the person that was covering her & we had to call her once & she called us back w/in hours & answered our question. Other questions I've had the agency director or someone else has been able to answer pretty well. Since then she's returned from vacation. I assumed she'd contact us & begin working with us quickly to get things done w/our home study. Baby is due June. Anyway, since I've never adopted, I have no clue how things work so I could be wrong. I've been calling the agency to ask a specific question & everyone basically says that's a question for your social worker. I've left messages w/her at her home office, the agency & her cell. No return calls. This is day 4 & I'm a little irritated. I've finally left a call w/the director b/c seriously, I've paid my home study fee, they've cashed the check & I accidentally paid a little more & just told them to hold onto it & apply it to the future balance for when the child is placed (they will refund it if the adoption falls through).

Maybe I'm being unreasonable & don't understand how things work. Can someone put some water on my fire? LOL TIA

ETA: This is a question that really needs answering before the weekend and it's not a general adoption question.

Advertisement

Last edited by CMamma; 04-20-2007 at 09:57 AM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Re: For those that have fostered/adopted - Am I being unreasonable/Question

I'm no expert (my sister did foster care for awhile, and that's the closest I've come to your situation), but it seems to me that you MAY be expecting a bit much, IF she has very recently returned (like within the last week) and IF she has a huge case load. If neither of those IFs fit the situation, then I think you were right to call the director to try to find out what is going on. I don't think that in the course of four days a response of some sort is too much to expect, even if it's just, "you're on my callback list, please be patiend".
Old 04-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: For those that have fostered/adopted - Am I being unreasonable/Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilismom View Post
I'm no expert (my sister did foster care for awhile, and that's the closest I've come to your situation), but it seems to me that you MAY be expecting a bit much, IF she has very recently returned (like within the last week) and IF she has a huge case load. If neither of those IFs fit the situation, then I think you were right to call the director to try to find out what is going on. I don't think that in the course of four days a response of some sort is too much to expect, even if it's just, "you're on my callback list, please be patiend".
Thanks for the response. I do understand that social workers are busy but one of the biggest reasons we went w/a private agency & paid a lot more $ is b/c we knew that county/state social workers had such a huge overload & expected more private attention this way. I mean you figure that in a time period of more than 30 days our social work would have called at at least ONE time... we've left voice messages with her in the past & none had been returned & that's how we knew she went on vacation & we were just happy she mailed out a packed before she left, but this matter was a little more pressed & we'd hoped to have an answer before the weekend & actually needed one. I thought 4 days was fair (called Mon late afternoon when we had some info we needed to find out about & here it is Fri).

Anyway the director called us back & he's under a totally diff impression. She's given him the impression that SHE is waiting on a ton of paperwork from us & that she's actually had contact with us which is absolutely not the case. We've never even spoke to her before. We've completed almost all of our papwerwork - even the FBI checks! All we have left is the Fire Inspection, my physical & my CPR class That's it. And those are on Tues.