Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

How bad is this

Last night and again tonight my calves are swollen. Not unusual, my job requires I be on feet most of the day. I wear compression sock to help, but they have started cutting into my legs. Both yesterday and today, after I got home I did a quick test to see how the blood was flowing. You know where you just press gently w/ your fingers to see how quickly the color comes back. Well, I was left w/ dimples where I pressed down w/ my fingers. It's taken well over a minute for them to go away.

I called the doc and since I see her first thing tomorrow morning, she said to just wait till then (I was thinking I needed to go to the ER). This really worries me. When I was pregnant w/ Gman I had some swelling and they where worried about pre-e, but nothing ever came of that. On top of watching my carbs/sugars for the GD, I've started watching how much sodium is in food and switched to only water to drink.

I know I shouldn't, but I'm actually a little scared. I've had multiple first trimester miscarriages, so I'm paranoid about losing the baby. It was the same while preggo w/ Gman. If I don't feel her move at least once an hour, I convince myself that I've lost her. Totally stupid and paranoid, especially since she moves shortly after I panic, but it's just stuck in my head. I'm really scared, when I probably have no real cause to be.

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How bad is this

I had a miscarriage before DS1, and even now I'm worried, even though I have three beautiful, healthy boys. So I can only imagine how much more worried you are.

Are you drinking enough water? Isn't want you are describing a symptom of dehydration?

Wishing you the best mama!!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know how bad it is. Once I started to swell all of a sudden. Like I took my shoes off and an hour later, they couldn't fit back on. I had to take the 24 hour urine collection jug home. but everything was ok. what is your Bp like?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Edema is not a sign of dehydration (I think what PP is thinking of is the test you do to see how quickly your skin goes back down after you pinch the back of your hand). But, it can be a sign of pre-e. I think you are safe to wait on your appointment tomorrow.

Also, I read in a few places you shouldn't be wearing compression socks, or anything with a band on your calf, but to try high waisted compression stockings. Maybe the band is making the swelling worse?

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
blackberry75
Registered Users

I don't have a cuff here, but it's in the "low normal" range whenever it's taken. Only problem w/ that is I usually run on the low side, and low BP runs in the family. My normal is 100-110 over 60-65, a high BP for me would be 120-130 over 75-85. When my PT took my BP yesterday it was 116/70 and that was first thing in the morning. I'm drinking 6-8c (8-12oz size cups) of water a day. Gah, I'm gonna stress about this all night.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydaysunshine View Post
Edema is not a sign of dehydration (I think what PP is thinking of is the test you do to see how quickly your skin goes back down after you pinch the back of your hand). But, it can be a sign of pre-e. I think you are safe to wait on your appointment tomorrow.

Also, I read in a few places you shouldn't be wearing compression socks, or anything with a band on your calf, but to try high waisted compression stockings. Maybe the band is making the swelling worse?
I hope that's it, def. gonna ask the doc if that could be the problem.