Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

talk to me about

Cerclage. My sil's Dr is pressuring her to get one. A little history: she was pregnant with twins in 2008 And delivered them at 24 weeks due to an incompetent cervix and the baby that she was carrying on the bottom her sac got an infection somehow. She is worried that the cerclage wont really do any good and will increase her chance for infection again. She is pregnant with just one baby this time and only 13 weeks. Any info or experience is appreciated

Sent from my SGH-T959 using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
kristinc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: talk to me about

my mfm's wanted to do a cerclage when my cervix showed a 1.5cm shortening from a fri appt to a mon (the fri was a reg visit and the mon i went in b/c i started having contractions). i was 13/14 weeks with the quads at the time. the dr on duty that day was not my regular mfm. he was the newest member of the team and was still pretty young. he had never had a set of quads under his care and frankly i think i freaked him out. he basically told me i would lose the pregnancy if i did not do the cerclage. he scared the crap out of me and i was thinking of having it done. dh was opposed to it. we were both very concerned about the risk of losing any or all of the babies. in the end we chose to have me go on immediate strict bedrest instead of having a cerclage placed. my strict bedrest got downgraded to modified bedrest after a week and a gain of cervical length. for me in the end my cervix is not what caused my babies to be born so early. i had HELLP syndrome and they had to be delivered to save my life.

now in the case of you sil....if it were me...i would only consider the cerclage if i had a shortening of the cervix. with 1 baby instead of 2 her body might do much better b/c of less movement & less weight with 1 baby vs 2. what kind of infection did baby a have? meaning was the baby born with sepsis?
kristinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

My sister had 2 stillbirths at 22 and 23 weeks, and then she had a cerclage and had 3 full term babies.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

I'm not really sure what kind of infection. All we were really told was that her sac was infected and she was very bruised looking. She only lived for a few minutes after she was born but the other twin survived.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's so sad. I say get a second opinion. One doctor's short may be normal to another. If two different Drs think she may have a problem, she should probably get a cerclage.

Sent from my bed or on the move.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

She went to a different Dr today and he said no way that her cervix is just fine and that they will keep an eye on it. Thanks everyone : )

Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yay!

Sent from my bed or on the move.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's great news. I agree with the others that one baby is often much easier to carry than two- my mom had 2 twin pregnancies. One ended at 26 weeks, the other at 31 weeks, but my singleton brother she carried for 37 weeks.