Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone had to have their cervix stitched?

After going to the DR, he said based on my history I may have to have my cervix stitched for my next pregnancy.

Has anyone had this? I'm beyond scared.

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No one .
Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
There was a mom on the Dec DDC who had a cerclage.
I had PTL with my twins and was 1cm and effaced at 23wks but my dr said it was too late for a cerclage. I delivered at 34wks.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone had to have their cervix stitched?

Did you get one last time? I would think that it would be something that they would determine in the next pregnancy. Maybe next time you won't have the same issues that you did last time? It seems early to be worrying about it.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
Did you get one last time? I would think that it would be something that they would determine in the next pregnancy. Maybe next time you won't have the same issues that you did last time? It seems early to be worrying about it.
I don't think it's early at all. I was told my chance of having to get it done is high. I figured why not learn everything I can now before the decision has to be made.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes I had a preventative cerclage for incompetent cervix with my daughter, Violet. I now have an abdominal cerclage with the current pregnancy. It's much better to have a preventative cerclage, than to take the "wait and see" approach and end up dilating early. A rescue cerclage has a much higher risk of infection and PPROM. The TVC is a simple procedure done at about 12-15 weeks and is painless. I had a spinal and was in and out the same day.

A vaginal cerclage can be very effective for most women, unfortunately it did not work for me. Did you loose a pregnancy in the second trimester? If you would like to know more about my experience, feel free to PM me. Check out this support forum for women with IC. I think you will learn a ton and find some of the answers your looking for.
http://ic.hobh.org/forums/

If you would like to know more about the abdominal cerclage, check out Abbyloopers. You have to apply for membership, but it's very informative.

ETA- It's a MUCH better idea to have a plan of action prior to going into pregnancy when it comes to IC. If not, decisions get made by professionals based on the mass, and mistakes can be made. It's great that you want all the information you can find.

Last edited by vmomma; 01-21-2012 at 04:52 PM.
vmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i havnt', but have a friend who did. She had previously delivered way too early b/c of an incompetent (right word?) cervix that dilated too soon. Her next pregnancy, with the cerclage, went to full term.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a friend who went into PTL and delivered her baby at 20 weeks, obviously the baby died. In her next pregnancy she had the cerclage as a preventative measure, she had it quite early, around 15 weeks maybe? She went into PTL again at 33 weeks and had her baby (who is now healthy 5 month old). It seems as though her body just doesn't carry a baby to full term, and at least the cerclage enabled her to get to a point at which the baby could safely be born. I think it is now considered to be fairly safe if you are at a high risk of PTL, actually I have heard that if you get it earlier there is less likelihood of problems (if you got it later when dilation is already starting etc, then there is a higher chance of them accidentally puncturing your amniotic sac) but i am not too sure about that. Definitely speak with your doctor about the potential risks. I would also ask about the process of having it removed when you go into labor.