Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
CandiceW
Registered Users

My Mood:
Just curious..

I was just curious..
How soon after giving birth(natural OR c section) do you get back to your 'regular schedule' at home?
Like making dinner(cooking in general), laundry, cleaning, etc.

I ask becuase my husband was off for the birth. And he was able to take a week off from one of his jobs, but is not able to take any time off from other.. so well today I am already home alone by myself with the 2 kids. It was not that bad.. but it was not want I wanted right away. And then to be honest.. I did laundry yesterday.. again 3 loads today + diapers. I cook everyday.. breakfast, lunch and dinner. I pick up and clean.. I did the day I got home.
I got a call from health nurse, she said I needed to ask for help around the home(I did not really say anything..) she was just going on and on on how a good day for a new mom is coming taking a shower, eating, and emptying dish washer. I do know that my husband expects A LOT of me in general, but really.. is that right? She also said I Needed to aim for 3 naps a day.. I instantly laughed.. I mean do any of you get even one nap? Most women do not come back and HAVE to get back in to regular schedule? It just isn't the way it is? for my first it was the same.. I wish I got to not clean.. cook.. do laundry.. or anything else.. I wish I could lay in bed and nap.. but it just does not seem like the real world.. OR is it?!?

Advertisement

Baby Matthew 05-27-2014
Baby #4 due January 2016

Last edited by CandiceW; 01-20-2012 at 06:33 PM.
CandiceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
abbi_n_nadia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah sounds like you maybe over doing it mama. How many days postpartum are you? My MW said it's best if you have at least a week off from housework and stay home and rest for at least 2 weeks.

With my last I was up tidying up the house and doing some minor housework by 2 days PP but my dh was deployed so I had to get up and do a bit. My mom cooked and helped with the girls for the first week tho.

Eta: if your feeling up to it then I think it's probably fine but i think they say if your bleeding gets super heavy then you should try to rest more.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by abbi_n_nadia; 01-20-2012 at 07:10 PM.
abbi_n_nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
vittoriosmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just curious..

I am like you Candice.It doesn't seem realistic to take 3 naps during the day...I had to be up and going the day of being discharged because there was nobody at home (including DH) and DS ended up throwing up his entire dinner from all the stress and excitement, he messed up t phe entire carpet and I had to shampoo it.
Plus I just can't sit still...maybe insane but I would get depressed if I stayed in bed for any amount of time...
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
mrsashleyo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think you are doing a bit much. But I agree the nurse has unrealistic expectations for a mama of more than 1. I also started picking up right away when I got home as well. Day 2 did laundry etc and had increased bleeding and cramping so knew I over did it. The other day I did laundry dishes and cleaned the house and same thing increased bleeding and cramps. So just do what your body tells you. Oh and I don't even get one nap, let alone 3!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:

i think you are doing a bit much, too. that said, i have a hard time sitting still once the soreness and that icky wiped out feeling goes away. i need to get up and at least do little things. i always know when i've done too much because i start bleeding more or i get light headed... but really it shouldn't get that far. i'm worried about this birth now because dh had to use all his sick time this week and he has none left for after the baby is born . i'm sure my mom will come and help out a couple days, but if i give birth on a weekday and come home from the birth center, i'll literally be on my own with three kids the next day until my mom can get over to me (probably 10ish in the am). even just that few hrs alone scares me. dh drives me nuts when he's home, but i was really counting on him being there to help out at least a couple days! luckily he's off early, so i can let the kids make a mess and he can clean it up when he gets here.. hehehe.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Mama_Destiny
seller
seller

My Mood:

This will be the first time DH will get to take any time off after one of our babies is born, he will take a week off. With the others, I just came home and really just did all that I did before, DH worked out of state, so I had no other choice but to care for the kids on my own(cooking, picking up, laundry, baths,... ect) DEFINITELY no naps, except with DD1, lol. When you have more than one to care for, it's not easy to just catch a nap(and especially not THREE, lol)! I did take breaks and let things slide more than normal, though. Once I'd start to feel out of breath, more bleeding and that kind of thing, I knew I had to chill. Take it easy! Do just a load of laundry a day, rather than 3-4 - it can wait! Keep the kids fed, clean and dry, that's really all that's needed, you can do the rest when you've healed a bit more. You don't want to hurt yourself, you could land yourself back in the hospital, which would be no fun!
Mama_Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
abbi_n_nadia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree about the naps..lol I don't take naps ever (except for during this pregnancy I've been wiped out and luckily dd2 loves to snuggle and nap with me and dd1 is more than happy to watch nickjr for a bit lol). But normally I don't nap, can't sleep during the day even if I try.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Last time I was alone with the kids and back to our regularly scheduled program at 5 days PP and it was too much too soon. Yes, 3 naps a day is silly and unrealistic if you have any other kids. But I agree that your body needs time to heal and rest...doing a bunch of housework right away seems a bit much. Let some stuff slide. Ask for help, or take people up on offers for help. I think too many women are afraid to ask for help nowadays.

My DH is taking 2.5 weeks off. Our situation is unique in that we have 2 kids with autism with very tight schedules that we want disturbed as little as possible, so 2.5 weeks is really needed for us. We will be getting meals from friends and have plenty of offers of help cleaning that we will take people up on. I have no problem with asking for help! I want to take time and let my body heal and bond with my new little man. Even with all the help, it's going to be a rough transition around here I'm sure.
mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

naps aren't going to happen unless you can get all the kids down for one at the same time
I think you are doing too much, I am back to doing cooking/cleaning/laundry about 5 days after my c/s.
My dh still helps but after when that first week is almost up, he starts leaving things up to me, he does however continue taking care of the older kids, baths, putting clothes away, gets them ready for the day.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
CandiceW
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well today is day 5 so.. lol

I wish I could just leave things undone, but the only think I have left 'undone' is ME! Everything else is getting taken care of but me..
Baby Matthew 05-27-2014
Baby #4 due January 2016
CandiceW is offline   Reply With Quote