Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Donating breastmilk

Has anyone ever donated breastmilk? I exclusively pumped with DS2, and donated over 2000 oz. The little boy I donated to has SMA and needed breastmilk to survive.

I have a couple hundred ounces in my freezer now, and I would love to donate to someone who truly needs it again. But for some reason, I'm worried something will happen and I may need that milk. Which seems selfish... DS3 is EBF on demand, and my supply is awesome. I'm a SAHM, and I don't leave him with anyone. The chances of me needing pumped milk are slim to none.

If anyone on here has ever donated, or received donated milk, please tell me that my worries are silly!

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Donating breastmilk

I just recently donated the last of my freezer stash (about 100 ounces) I originally had about 800-1000 ounces saved up. I knew we would try to get pregnant again before DS2 was a year old, the first time around my milk dried up when DS1 was 7 months and I was 1 month prego with DS2. So I wanted to be prepared in case I dried up again, which I did, so DS2 still got BM until 13 months, then I donated what was left.

So mama, unless you are concerned about getting pregnant and your milk drying up, I would not worry about it and go ahead an donate it all. The likely hood is that you will keep pumping and build more of a stash again, and sounds like you have a healthy supply, so I think all would be well.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

For both pregnancies I donated to a friend who had supply issues. I would always keep some in the freezer for me, and then just keep cycling through the milk. The newly pumped would go to the back, and the older would be donated. Granted, I never ended up using any of the milk I kept so I didn't really need to do that, but I always wanted a little saved just in case I needed it.

I donated on a weekly basis.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I donate all the time. I don't keep a freezer stash for my own baby--mine won't willingly take a bottle or cup of breastmilk anyway. Maybe I'm living on the edge, but I don't usually worry that something will happen to me, preventing nursing.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Carolyn528
Registered Users
seller

Where do you donate? I have extra I want to donate somewhere but I don't know where!!
B 6/9/11
Due 10/30
Carolyn528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

I have tried posting on Eats for Feets and HM4HB on Facebook with ZERO luck. I live about an hour from any major city. My pumped milk is going to go to waste.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenoraE View Post
I have tried posting on Eats for Feets and HM4HB on Facebook with ZERO luck. I live about an hour from any major city. My pumped milk is going to go to waste.
It took about 2 weeks for me to get a response from anyone on Eats on Feets in my area, but I finally did. How long has it been?

I also donate to a baby who goes to my PA friend's family practice. The mom mentioned she was looking for donor milk and my friend called me and asked if I could take on another baby.

You could also ask midwives or doulas if they know anyone who is in need. I don't know if LLL has a policy on donor milk, but maybe they could help you find a recipient as well. If you have a local attachment parenting group, they might be able to help, too.

Also, you could try Milkshare. You can say you are willing to ship (the recipient pays the cost of shipping).
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

I too was holding onto a freezer stash "just in case." I'm a SAHM and my DD was (and still is) BFing (no bottles -- never took to them) and I never ended up needing it. I tried donating but after two no shows (from the HM4HB FB) I quit trying :/.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've always donated through MilkShare, with pretty fast results. It never took more than a few days to find a recipient on there. The Georgia chapter of Eats on Feets seems pretty busy, so I may try there first. I only donate locally - I'm a bit paranoid of shipping breastmilk.

I've decided to donate all the milk, but I'm going to start pumping at night before I go to bed... DS3 tends to go one 4 hour stretch at night, and that 4 hours kills my boobs. So the pumping session will help that, and I'll have a stash again soon. I figure I'll donate every 2-3 months, and just keep replenishing the stash. Having an oversupply can suck sometimes, but I'm very lucky that my body responds well to pumping and I can get a lot out.

I loved donating last time, and I'm excited to do it again!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
jkoopmans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did it for a mama who had adopted twins the same age as my last baby and though she induced lactation, she wasnt able to make enough. It helped them a ton, and I made a new friend.
Planning on doing it again for someone when my new baby comes!
jkoopmans is offline   Reply With Quote