Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Nipple Shield

Please pardon my ignorance but I mostly EPed with DS1, but can someone tell me the danger in not weaning from the nipple shield? DS2 loves the thing and he's now six weeks and will nurse without it but definitely prefers it. It's kind of a pain but not near as much of a pain as EPing was. It's also saved my nipples as he will nurse as much as 20 times a day some days, he's a big boy.

Advertisement

seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nipple Shield

Shields are not meant to be long-term use products. They interfere with milk supply-decrease it. Once your nipples toughen up it won't hurt. Mine always nurse a ton like yours but throwing the shields away now ensures longterm success.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacat View Post
Please pardon my ignorance but I mostly EPed with DS1, but can someone tell me the danger in not weaning from the nipple shield? DS2 loves the thing and he's now six weeks and will nurse without it but definitely prefers it. It's kind of a pain but not near as much of a pain as EPing was. It's also saved my nipples as he will nurse as much as 20 times a day some days, he's a big boy.
We nursed with one until my son was about 4 months old. I had no supply issues what so ever, in fact had over 600 ounces frozen once I went back to work. You baby will wean off it most likely. Shields are a total pain and its much better without it.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

We also used one til about 4 months. Then I weaned baby off of it because I was tired of the extra step when nursing in public and at night. For some people it doesn't necessarily interfere with supply, but that can be an issue. I would wait til closer to 3 months or so to think about it, when the babies settle into a schedule and its not 24/7 nursing.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
worthfaraboverubies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used them with my first two children and my with my 4 month old dd till she was about 6 wks old...I have suffered with very painful nursing due too yeast issues causing pain cracking and bleeding but I finally am nursing w/out nipple shield and pain free however my current dd nursing had trouble learning how to latch properly after we started using the shield ...which was not an issue at all before we started using the shield...so I stopped using the shield and my awesome midwife had some medicine prescribed which healed the yeast issues so for the first time I am nursing successfully past the 2-3 month mark without having to use the shield or pump...I have not had to substitute with formula & she has never had a bottle ...with my first two I used the shield and pump and lost milk supply and ended up having to formula feed them ...but this time I was determined and much more educated and breast feeding couldn't be going anymore perfectly ...I did not loose my milk supply in the 6 weeks that I used the shield however I know that it does effect milk supply and it does cause latching issues. Hope this helps God Bless!!
God loving family ! Helpmeet to a amazing husband and mom of 3 Gifts from God 1 ds, 2 dds, 1 dd on the way . I am one frugal busy homekeeping, homeschooling, streetpreaching, abortion ministering, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, sleep sharing, knitting, sewing pregnant mama! Hmmm did I miss anything .
worthfaraboverubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
We nursed with one until my son was about 4 months old. I had no supply issues what so ever, in fact had over 600 ounces frozen once I went back to work. You baby will wean off it most likely. Shields are a total pain and its much better without it.
Thanks for this. I have over supply issues and the shield has actually made it easier for him to handle volume of milk so, I don't have supply issues. Good to know you can use it that long without effecting supply.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

I used one for 5 1/2 months. I could have weaned earlier but dd really preferred to nurse with it. I never had any supply issues with them - only oversupply.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
Teahya&nikolais_mommy
Registered Users
seller

Both of my babies where tounge tied & i have small nipples so i never had a choice DD breastfes with s sheild till 11 month when she weaned herself & DS is 21 month & still going strong! I have never had supply issues ever infact i still have trouble with leaking lol! If u need it & its easier go for it! If u dont & its a hassle wean off of it!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Amanda : , baby wearing, non circing SHAM to Teahya::6-4-08 and Nikolai4-22-10 andwith #3 Markus Anthony and #4 Marius asher
Teahya&nikolais_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote