Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Tiffanylamp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think I got a membrane sweep?

I went to the dr's office yesterday (39 weeks) and after having all sorts of progression the previous weeks, everything had just stopped. I'm 2 cm dilated, 80% effaced and baby has dropped (don't know what station, but Dr. said baby is ready and in position). I also was having 30-60 second contractions about 10-15 minutes apart the night before that lasted probably 6 hours before they stopped (that apparently did nothing, as I was exactly the same as the previous week). My Dr. seemed a bit concerned and told me that she was going to be a bit "aggressive" during the internal exam and that I might experience spotting and cramping after. I didn't ask, but I *think* she did a membrane sweep. It wasn't painful exactly, but very uncomfortable and she called a nurse in. Afterwards she told me she was trying to "fit another finger in" so maybe she was stretching my cervix? True to her words, I had mild to moderate cramping yesterday and a tiny bit of spotting today.

I guess I'm just wondering how effective they are? I have just had braxton hicks today and am just feeling a bit discouraged. This is my first pregnancy and it really feels like my body just has stopped moving towards labor. The dr said that once I hit my due date, we will need to start discussing induction and stress tests. I had an ultra sound last Monday because the Dr worried about my placenta and amniotic fluid levels and things came back within normal range (but not sure what the numbers were). I suppose this entire pregnancy my dr has been very positive and upbeat and the last couple of visits she seems more concerned. I don't think anything is sincerely wrong (or they would have had this baby out of me by now) but it makes me think that maybe she is watching me a lot more carefully. Other than severe morning sickness, this pregnancy has been literally text book and I haven't had a single issue or suspected issue (until the last week or so).

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with a membrane sweep or if you stopped progressing toward labor and needed to be induced or have stress tests. I should have asked about all this yesterday, but I was just so disappointed that I hadn't had any progression that I wasn't thinking about asking questions. In my heart I don't feel like this baby will be here soon and any and all advice would be really helpful.

Sorry so long (I didn't mean for it to be) and TIA.

Advertisement

Happily getting my Groupon on
Tiffanylamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
CandiceW
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I think I got a membrane sweep?

My last sweep at ob office, she did sweep plus tried to stretch cervix a little. Like you said not painful, but was more uncomfortable for sure. I told her she could do though...did you not give you ob consent?
CandiceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:

i know it varies from person to person. for me it was REALLY painful- like enough to make me almost pass out, and i have a high tolerance for pain. and it did nothing! lol. she may have done a sweep (if she did she really should have asked first), but it sounds like she was at least trying to stretch you out a little. if baby isn't really ready to come, they won't do much (as far as i understand). things can change fast, so try not to get too discouraged (i keep trying to tell myself this, and it's not working! lol).
Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Tiffanylamp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She never said it was a membrane sweep, only that she wanted to be a bit more aggressive and I said "ok". My dh (who was with me) said that she told me that she was hoping to "get things moving for me" and that I nodded and said "yes" but I don't remember that part (lol). But, I was really thinking about how my body hadn't changed since the last time and that she had trouble finding the heartbeat and I was honestly trying not to get too emotional and start crying. This week just feels really hard because I had the ultra sound to check fluid on monday, found out Wednesday late in the day that everything was "fine", thought I was going into labor on Thursday, had contractions that got stronger, woke up all night from them and than they just stopped the following morning. Get to the appointment and was told my body hadn't changed at all in preparation. In fact, when I left the appointment I turned to dh and said "I think she was trying to get labor started with that internal" and he actually laughed and said "yeah, she told you that. Don't you remember?"

Leah, I'm so sorry you are also in the waiting phase! I'm due a day later and it is just getting a lot harder (not physically, just emotionally). I just had such good consistent progression and then it just stopped. It has been frustrating. I feel like my body isn't cooperating.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:

i stopped paying attention to my body, i was getting so fed up with it. i was looking way too hard into every little detail. i'd had both my other babies a week ago in my last two pregnancies, so every day past that 38 week mark seems like an eternity! hopefully for you and i it will just happen all at once and there will be no mistaking it!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

aww mama first babies tend to like to hang out longer.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #7
Mama_Destiny
seller
seller

My Mood:

With my first, I didn't "get" what being more aggressive meant, either. My Dr. also said it that way, and I was just like "Ok!? Sure..", I didn't know what the heck he meant! In the end, I didn't care for the Dr., and am super glad I changed, lol! Not that I think your dr. is bad or anything, just so happened mine sucked in other ways as well, lol! They really SHOULD explain what they mean by that, especially to a first time mama!

Anyways, it has always been super painful for me, but I seem to have a pretty tender cervix anyways...it's makes me arch my back in pain! Ugh! It hasn't done anything for me as to start labor, sadly! I was at a "good 4cm" with my DD2, and the NP who seen me one day because my Dr. was doing a delivery, did a membrane sweep, and I still hung on for over a week until my induction date. I just don't think my body would ever go on it's own! It seems to like to hoard babies!
I hope it gets things started for you! It's really hard to hang out and wait! Hang in there!
Mama_Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #8
Tiffanylamp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies! I actually love my Dr and feel really good about her and with her. I'm not at all upset that she is trying to get things going (as I want them to get going!!!). Leah and Destiny, I feel very much like my body doesn't want to cooperate Which is disappointing and sad for me. I still have about a week for things to happen before I need to start seriously considering other options, so maybe for me it will happen during that time. I think I am just a first time mom who is nervous and anxious and don't want to feel like I am being cheated out of this experience. I suppose I just want to have that moment of "oh wow! it is happening!!!" at 3:00 a.m. or (whenever). When people ask me what my birth plan is I have always tongue in cheek said "to end up with a baby when it is all said and done" and I still recognize that is the ultimate goal, but I can see why a woman could be disappointed in how the baby is brought into the world. Especially if she is expecting something different than what actually happens.

Thanks, Amy, for the hugs!!!! I just need to keep thinking positive!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

DH found dd paperwork from when i was "due" with dd it said june 24th 2005 and as you can see she came july(1st) dont feel like your body cant do it bc im sure that is not the case. First time babies usually do not come on time and a lot are late. My sec and third came at 40weeks as well. Hang in there and were rooting for ya It wont be long and you will be holding your lo in your arms.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Manderzthegr8
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm right there with ya. 39 weeks and its my first. My doc asked if he could do a membrane sweep on friday at my last appointment and i said sure. Wasnt painful for me just uncomfortable because i didnt know what to expect. i didnt have any cramping or spotting afterwards either. And he didnt seem to think it would make a huge difference if he did it.. but did it in case it did help things along. I lost my plug the next day but other than that nothing. no cramping or contractions really.

Don't get too discouraged thinking your body wont just let it happen when it happens. You've still got a week, and a lot could happen before then! I hope you get to have that exciting "its really happening! time to go" moment that you are hoping for tho
Manderzthegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote