Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 AM   #11
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ecing...fill me in

yeah Gavin is a grunter lol you can tell when he's gonna poo, but I mean 3 mos old (on the 16, I can't believe how fast it's gone! lol) just seems so young but according to the info you posted the younger the better huh?

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 07:52 AM   #12
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

I think I can only do it for the morning poops...the others are always more like skid marks lol and I don't know if I can rush her to the potty mid-poop. And she definately didn't start these scheduled poops until this past month or so.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #13
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

From what I can tell, it will get better. It's sort of a conditioning process for both of you. If you take her and sit her on the potty to poop every morning, then she learns that the potty is the place she's supposed to go. Over time, as she gets better control, she'll start to go any time you sit her on the potty because she knows that's what it's for. The flip side of that is that you are watching her and learning to read her signals, so over time, she'll figure out which signals you understand and learn to give you more notice when she wants you to put her on the potty.

I've talked to lots of people who EC "part-time" and in most cases, their children still potty train earlier and with less drama because they're used to the idea. Worst case, even if it has no long term effects, every "catch" you make is one less diaper to change and clean.

By the way, not sure if you're using a little potty or the toilet but here's a tip someone posted on another forum for potty training or EC'ing. Put a disposable coffee filter in the little potty to make cleaning up poop much easier. Several people have told me that the filters are fine to be flushed...I haven't tried it myself though. I usually just use the seat that snaps on the big toilet if I'm expecting (hoping) for a poop!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #14
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

I just put her on the bare toilet, but will get one of the things that go over the seat. Washing poop and pee out of a little toilet grosses me out more than washing poop out of dipes.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #15
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

Interesting... I had never heard of this either! I have seen EC around, but didn't take the time to post a about it... At what age do most parents start this? It sounds like a wonderful idea! Not just for making one less dirty diaper, but for the communcation it takes to do it.
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #16
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsott
Interesting... I had never heard of this either! I have seen EC around, but didn't take the time to post a about it... At what age do most parents start this? It sounds like a wonderful idea! Not just for making one less dirty diaper, but for the communcation it takes to do it.

Everybody's experiences are different but I know some people who start from birth and others who wait a few weeks or months. Anything after 6 months is generally considered "late starting" because by then you've "trained" the baby to use the diaper (although there are lots of resources out there just for late starters). I thought it was crazy the first time I read about it but the more I've read and talked to people who do it, and even tried it with my older son, the more I think I really want to give it a shot, at least part time, with the new baby.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #17
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeemarie
Ok, update, I put Alex on the potty this morning after she nursed and as soon as she was in a sitting position, she pooped a lot and peed a little. The end result? I don't have to spray out a big poopy dipe 5 minutes after I put it on her, and I'm not wasting a clean diaper while I'm at it! I'm not sure if this qualifies as ECing but I def. recognize her poop signals now. Definately a grunter!

Woo Hoo! Sounds like success to me! You got what you were looking for, no dealing with a diaper full of poo!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #18
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

For those that have EC'd for a while, isn't it a lot of work? To be constantly watching your childs face for signs of them getting ready to poo or pee?? Sounds exhausting to me
Plus, what about all those cute CD's you could be using!!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:35 PM   #19
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea
For those that have EC'd for a while, isn't it a lot of work? To be constantly watching your childs face for signs of them getting ready to poo or pee?? Sounds exhausting to me
Plus, what about all those cute CD's you could be using!!
That's what I thought at first...that you would have to be just sitting there staring at them constantly and it wasn't really practical. Most people I know who do it, at least in the beginning, use a combination of timing, intuition, and physical cues. So if you watch really close for a couple of days, you might notice that they always poop immediately after nursing and pee about an hour later (or whatever). Then you can try to anticipate that need and offer the potty at those times. You can also just "randomly" offer at times when you feel like you might get lucky (or when you go, or whatever). And then finally, you watch for cues which in the beginning might be subtle but as they get older, the cues get more obvious. I signed up for a Yahoo group for EC'ers in my area and the ladies on there insist that it's no more work than reading your babies hunger cues. It makes sense if you think about it that way. Several of the ladies in that group insist that their older babies refuse to use a diaper and will get very fussy and cry if they need to potty and the mom doesn't catch their signals...just like they get fussy and cry if they're hungry and she doesn't offer a breast.

Now, as for all the cute CD's you'd be missing out on...that's another story!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:56 AM   #20
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Now, here is my question. Eventually, as I keep taking Alex potty in the morning (she pooped in the potty again this morning, but I didn't wait long enough because 5 minutes later she filled her FB, too) when she gets a bit older will she start asking to go to the toilet to poop? Will she start to equate pooping with the toilet (she also pees while on there.) I don't have plans to take her to the potty other than in the morning, but as she gets older I may.