Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When to kids get tired of toys?

For Christmas, DD1 (11) asked for a doll for Christmas. I wondered if getting her a doll would be a waste, but she plays with it everyday. DD2 (9) saw DD1 doll and wanted one for herself. So, she got one with her Christmas $.

Are my kids the odd ones or do kids really like to play with dolls (and actual toys in general) much longer than they appear? It seems that most of the girls' friends are into ipods, playstations and kindles and anything that resembled a toy would be too babyish. Today we have 2 friends over (9 and 5) and they are all playing house (boys and girls).

I'm wondering if society is pushing the tech stuff and kids would rather just be kids (especially when they are in a place where they won't be made fun of for liking little kids stuff). Just curious what your kids play with.

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Leeldoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When to kids get tired of toys?

My kids are younger (~5 and 2)....both kids still play with trains and tracks purchased when DS was ~2. We have lots of dress up clothing, duplo/Lego, wooden blocks, cars and animals, play kitchen and doll babies and other very open ended toys such as those (including things like imaginext firestation and such)-- These type of open ended toys grow with my kids and I see them playing with them over long periods and often in new ways. For example, DS uses blocks to create his own elevated track and tunnels for his trains. I think it great when kids can play with non-electronic toys as it shows their creativity and imagination. Our kids have played with electronic toys (we don't overly encourage this, but don't discourage it either)-- little laptops, play phones, etc and they tend to become other things-- superheros supercomputers and such. I count myself lucky my kiddos haven't headed over to the electronic toys.
Leeldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My kids do both. DH is very big into electronics, always has been (bought his first computer when he was 13 or so and he's 32 now), and that spills over to the kids. Our 11 yr old has an iPod touch, but she still plays with her American Girl doll and her toy horses. And Lego's. My 11 and 9 yr olds play with Legos all the time, too. And read. And ride bikes. They also play with the 5 yr old's dollhouse. They all have an active imagination and will play with a number of things.

I think a lot of it has to do with whether or not the electronics are limited or not. It also has a lot to do with personality. I don't remember having toys, really, at 11, but I didn't have the electronic stuff, either. I spent a lot of time outside playing, did sports, played piano, and read. We did have some electronic stuff, but we didn't play it a lot.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

That makes me happy to hear, that your 11 year old wanted a doll and plays with it <3 It SHOULD be that way. I felt pressured to give mine all away when I was about 11 years old to a neighbor girl. I still played with them at 9 occasionally, much of the time when I was home alone after school. I "broke up" with my best friend from 2-10 years old, and we played dolls ALL the time, so I kind of quit playing with them when we quit being friends, because that was our thing : (
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Djuna2
Registered Users

My Mood:
My 9.5 year old still loves playing with her American Girl dolls. And she and her five-year-old brother will play together with toys.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

I think that is awesome that your DDs play with dolls! I remember playing with dolls with my friends until I was almost 13. My niece is only 10 and hasn't played with dolls in a long time, but on the other hand, a friend's DD is 10 also and still plays with her American Girl doll. I think it has to do with personality, but a huge factor is also what the parents focus is. My niece's dad is a computer professor and so she play computer games. I think it is kind of sad she doesn't play with dolls.
Zoethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
My daughter is only 3, but this is the age that some kids get their first electronics. We are a wired family, but my daughter doesn't play with electronics yet and won't for a long while hopefully. I personally don't think it's cute when very young children do (and say) adult things.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danner
My daughter is only 3, but this is the age that some kids get their first electronics. We are a wired family, but my daughter doesn't play with electronics yet and won't for a long while hopefully. I personally don't think it's cute when very young children do (and say) adult things.
I like this post.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My 12year old almost 13 year old very mature daughter still likes her barbies. She doesn't spend a lot of time with them but she does still like to play with them occasionally.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

My almost 11 yo ds doesn't really play with toys anymore. Maybe Legos with his cousin. But not much.