Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Your thoughts on actively keeping your kids from germs

A mom friend of mine (who I don't really talk to except little blips on FB) wrote this wall post...

"Call me overprotective, but I so hate having to make the choice between getting out to socialize with my kiddos or having them stay healthy. We made it almost a year with zero sickness, and after a busier than normal week they've caught two bugs. Uggghhh.

So what's everyones opinion on this? I understand using basic hygiene and staying away from people who are obviously sick but keeping your kids from socializing for fear that they will get sick? This girl has a 2 year old and a 10ish month old who apparently live in a bubble lol

My opinion: I didn't have anything nice to say so I kept my snarkiness to myself..I wasn't feeling very diplomatic at the time because IMO it is very unrealistic and flat out ridiculous to bubble your kids like that during winter for fear that they may get sick. A couple of our mutual friends chimed in and are basically telling her that she is doing more harm than good by not letting her kids get exposed to germs. She's not really buying it but whatever..her kids not mine.

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Your thoughts on actively keeping your kids from germs

I guess it depends on the person. Some people will handle it ok, and some will have an overreaction (by their immune system) to the bugs. She might just not want her young ones exposed yet. Maybe she would rather have them get the germies when they are 4 and 5, and not 1 or 2. Like a 1 year old will get dehydrated faster than a 5 year old if they both had the tummy bug. There are lots of reasons. I don't want DS bringing home lots of bugs right now because I'm pregnant and I really don't like being sick when I'm pregnant.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't keep my kids home but I do avoid a couple of places during "sick" season. My son got really ill last year after going to Chuckie Cheeses (sp?) so we aviod that place, indoor mcdonalds are pretty nasty but Chick fil a has a very set cleaning schedule where a disinfectant company comes in and cleans. Everything else is sort of fair game....kids get sick. DS1 goes to school all day so unless we homeschooled we can't avaoid those germs. He's actually the one that never gets sick, he just brings the germs home and spreads them to the rest of us.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I try to prevent the 'germiest' germs. Don't have them have physical contact with sick people, frequent handwashing, try to keep them from licking the floor in the public bathroom (seriously). But I also don't go nuts. DD1 would literally suck on the carpet in my house. Every time her pacifier or chew toy would hit the floor, my mom would jump up and wash it in soap and hot water. I told her don't bother, she sucks on the carpet anyway. I'm guilty of using the '5 second rule' if they drop their snack (non-sticky of course). It's a balance. Preventing ALL exposure to germs prevents building immunities, IMHO. But that doesn't mean I TRY to get them sick.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

My opinion is that she was likely just venting after having to deal with a house full of sick kids two times in a row. That's no fun for anyone.

In the spirit of the actual question, aside from the example, I think that it IS a tough balance between socialization and illnesses. No one likes to be sick, it's not fun, and no mom likes taking care of sick kids. So it makes sense to try to avoid that on occasion. At the same time, most moms also know that getting sick is good for kids immune systems and that you can't just bubble up your kids. So, yes, it is a balance. Sometimes it's hard to achieve the right balance.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't go out of my way to keep my kids from germs. I mean, I clean my house, sanitize stuff occasionally (usually if someone gets sick or something), we wash our hands, try to avoid sick people... I try to keep them from licking doors/floors/windows while we're out in public (sometimes I fail miserably with DS2 ). But I don't freak out if they're around a kid with a snotty nose or little cough... I don't freak out everytime I catch DS2 licking the window beside our table at Chick-fil-A. Basically, I do what I can and it's worked for us. Three kids, and no one has been seriously sick .
Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I try to prevent the 'germiest' germs. Don't have them have physical contact with sick people, frequent handwashing, try to keep them from licking the floor in the public bathroom (seriously). But I also don't go nuts. DD1 would literally suck on the carpet in my house. Every time her pacifier or chew toy would hit the floor, my mom would jump up and wash it in soap and hot water. I told her don't bother, she sucks on the carpet anyway. I'm guilty of using the '5 second rule' if they drop their snack (non-sticky of course). It's a balance. Preventing ALL exposure to germs prevents building immunities, IMHO. But that doesn't mean I TRY to get them sick.
It's nice to see my kids aren't the only ones who do that .
Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
and 1 year old ds will only eat a certain cereal off the floor. He helps himself to a snack every day. Goes in the cabinet gets the box out and dumps some on the floor. He WILL NOT eat them in his highchair or a bowl or at the table- only from the floor. At least until yesterday when he dumped the entire bag out on the floor and him and dd rolled around in them while eating. I put a stop to it when the dog decided to join in.

I don't avoid places, but I do try to avoid obviously sick people. Mildly sick I don't really avoid the person, but am careful about touching and contact. On the other side though- if my kids have so much as a sniffle I always make sure people we are visiting are aware and that is it perfectly fine with me if they don't want us around. I do think people go overboard, I may roll my eyes, but I understand where its coming from. At some point all those illnesses will catch up as soon as they get around a large number of kids. For my dd is was the start of pre-school at 4, but for ds its 1 because sissy is bringing all the gunk home.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I think their first year at school is going to be really bad. They are going to catch everything then and be sick a lot. I certainly never wanted my small babies to get sick, but after they are into toddlerhood I don't worry too much. I wouldn't purposely expose them to something like a stomach bug or flu, but I wouldn't avoid going out just to avoid getting a cold. You need balance, just like with everything else.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Normally I am pretty laid back about germs. I don't go out of my way to expose them to obviouslly sick people and I keep them home when they are really sick. they both go to daycare and the oldest is in preschool so they are exposed to everything under the sun. My kids eat off the floor, share their food/untesils iwth the dog, lick the dog, drink out of the dogs water dish ect.

Currently this winter I am trying my best to keep everyone germ free and non sick but that is only because my mom is going through some pretty agressive cancer treatments and if anyone is sick we can't see her. If the kids are sick I cant go see her. There was someone sick over the Christmas break w/flu, fever, strep ect for 11 days. We didn't think we would be able to have Christmas with my mom..