Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: A ? about breast feeding and a ? about baby powder

My first never needed to be burped. My second only needed minimal help burping and my third needs a LOT of burping. I don't use baby powder but only because I never saw the need for it. All 3 kids were/are EBF. My third is still EBF at 7m and still needs burping. I think a lot depends on how they eat. My sons are gulpers and my daughter was a get down to business nurser.

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
My first never needed to be burped. My second only needed minimal help burping and my third needs a LOT of burping. I don't use baby powder but only because I never saw the need for it. All 3 kids were/are EBF. My third is still EBF at 7m and still needs burping. I think a lot depends on how they eat. My sons are gulpers and my daughter was a get down to business nurser.
Did the gulpers make a lot of noise? DS always made a lot of noise when he ate. I don't know if it was just gulping or his breathing, but it made it hard to nurse him around other people because he made SO much noise.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

I occasionally use powder. I always burp after EBF'ing, but all of my kids had reflux and burping tended to kinda help reduce the mass amounts of spitup that were inevitable.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
No powder here.

I always have burped my babies. Dd tells me when she's got a bubble by fussing at the breast. Little burp and she's good!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
teacherchalise
Registered Users

No powder-there are better options
I always burped.
teacherchalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never use powder(tbo I don't understand what the heck it's for) and I always burp my babies. They are all ebf for like 8-10 months and we always burp a newbie. Once they are big enough they will burp when you sit them up to switch sides. IMO burping babies is a rather vigarous activity a little delicate pat ain't gonna cut it. You gotta really mean business. My BF was a mom/baby nurse at our local hossy for several years and always gets miffed about new moms being afraid to burp. You should see those nurses in the NICU! They are no joke.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #17
Tooshie
Registered Users
seller

We never use powder, just coconut oil. Talc is carcinogenic. Corn can be allergenic.

My guy was EBF and I rarely burped, because he would always vomit if I did, no vomit if I didn't. I would just lightly rub & most times he didn't need to burp. All babies are different though and I'm sure she will get to know works best

WAHM keeping my new fam loved & healthy: SD Kaleigh 8/01, SD Brianna 6/03, DS Shay 4/11 & my handsome hubby & soul mate all put up with my crazy demands like eating real food & ridding the house of harmful chemicals
Tooshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever
I never use powder(tbo I don't understand what the heck it's for) and I always burp my babies. They are all ebf for like 8-10 months and we always burp a newbie. Once they are big enough they will burp when you sit them up to switch sides. IMO burping babies is a rather vigarous activity a little delicate pat ain't gonna cut it. You gotta really mean business. My BF was a mom/baby nurse at our local hossy for several years and always gets miffed about new moms being afraid to burp. You should see those nurses in the NICU! They are no joke.
I think the powder is for if you don't want to wait for their bum to dry before rediapering? It doesn't actually do anything for a rash as far as I understand it. I just fanned my kid's butt dry real fast and then popped him in a new diaper. If he had any redness a little unscented Cjs or coconut oil took care of it before the next change. Now that he's older I let him run around a dry off for a minute before snagging him and putting him in a new diaper. Cjs and coconut oil still works.

Sent from my iPhone. Autocorrect hates me.

Life is good.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #19
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by reithegenki View Post
I think the powder is for if you don't want to wait for their bum to dry before rediapering? It doesn't actually do anything for a rash as far as I understand it. I just fanned my kid's butt dry real fast and then popped him in a new diaper. If he had any redness a little unscented Cjs or coconut oil took care of it before the next change. Now that he's older I let him run around a dry off for a minute before snagging him and putting him in a new diaper. Cjs and coconut oil still works.

Sent from my iPhone. Autocorrect hates me.
We do the air dry thing a lot too, but DS has a sensitivity to wetness plus some excema(sp?) to I think. So we use the powder w/cornstarch to help keep him from getting red, it's the only thing that works for us. But we don't have to use it very often.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonmartin View Post
We do the air dry thing a lot too, but DS has a sensitivity to wetness plus some excema(sp?) to I think. So we use the powder w/cornstarch to help keep him from getting red, it's the only thing that works for us. But we don't have to use it very often.
Strange.... I have only heard that is aggravates the heck out of eczema not helps it. But, what doesn't work for some will work for others. At least you found what works for you.

Life is good.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote