Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Registered Users
pregnancy/nursing/low progesterone

So I am ten to eleven weeks pregnant and still nursing DS three times a day. This morning I had some spotting that cleared up by dinner. My OB office wants me to come in tomorrow suggesting it could be a lot of things including low progesterone. I know low progesterone can be related to nursing and am afraid if that's the case my ob will ask me to wean. I am trying to at least educate myself on the subject before I go in (primarily because its less threatening than the thought that I am miscarriaging) but am not having any luck. I pulled out the womanly art... and advrntures in tandum... but neither discuss nursing causing low progesterone.

So when nursing moms have short luteral phases and take progesterone supplenents to get preggo, is the nursing causing the low progesterone or does the supplement just counteract the problem? The Womanly Art... book almost suggests that its the prolactin that causes the phase problem and supplement just helps the problem? They don't say it out right.

I know that LLLI's stance is that nursing in general doesn't cause miscarriage but if it does cause low progesterone which can cause miscarriage you would think it would be addressed, right?

I know there are probably better forums to post on (like llli), but this is the only one I am a member of. Any thoughts on thr subject are appreciated!

Meg, mama to Joey (2/2010) and one on the way due in Aug!

RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: pregnancy/nursing/low progesterone

I made the decision to wean when I found out I was pregnant based on the wisdom of traditional societies. Even ones like Mongolia that are very centered on breastfeeding do not, in general, tandem nurse or nurse through pregnancy. It is seen as not optimal for either baby or mom. From a nutrition perspective this makes perfect sense, since mom has to take in enough nourishment for herself, milk, and the growing baby. This can be really difficult to do, and problems can definitely develop hormonally if mom isn't getting enough nutrition for all that she is putting out.

I really wanted to nurse my daughter until 2, but my research convinced me that it was better for all of us to wean.
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk!
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote