Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
amandamcdowell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
More current ASD thread (haven't seen one in a while)

Hey, Mamas!!

Just wanted to see who all out there has an ASD kiddo, how old, when were you diagnosed and anything else you wanna share! I LOVEEEEE blogs (real talk, mama/papa blogs on ASD). My link is in my signature line below. Post yours here too!!

We are a family of 4 and my oldest (almost 6) was diagnosed at just over 5 but we've known for about 3 years. We had a celiacs diagnosis first at 2 yo because of his behaviors. The GF diet seemed to help so we never went for autism testing (until much later).

My dude is very verbal but extremely OCD, clean and what I call- the "rule police."

My current focus is helping my seemingly nuero-typical 1 1/2 yo learn non-asperger's reactions/behaviors in the midst of only being around her brother.

So excited to get connected more with yall!!

Advertisement

amandamcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: More current ASD thread (haven't seen one in a while)

My oldest also has Aspergers, or what they now call High functioning autism. She's 11 now She was diagnosed at almost 7, but I knew there was something different about her from the toddler age, i just didn't know what and the only thing I thought I knew about autism is they didn't talk and banged their heads on walls. She also has ODD and Severe anxiety issues which are the things I noticed first.

It's been a wild ride with her, but as she's gotten older she's calmed down alot. she still has terrible social skills, and keeps very few friends because she doesn't change interests like other kids. Thankfully, she's really into whatevers really cool among the age group at the time, but she's obsessed with it and talks of nothing else, and I think her friends get sick of it after awhile. She also seems to only be able to have one friend at a time, so I think people get pushed off for someone else and that doesn't help.

She's in most likely her last year of public school. They just aren't doing enough and she's very far behind because they want to just keep pushing her though. She's ahead in things like Reading, but she's far behind in math because she's not getting extra help anymore. "she doesn't need it" aka, they don't want to put her back on a IEP. So I think we're homeschooling next year, er rather, Online schooling.
6th grade will be beyond hard with all the changes and social skill problems she has as it is, i can't imagine her trying to keep up with the schoolwork too.

My middle son is NT.. sorta. He has anxiety issues and pretty severe SPD issues. he went though early intervention and preschool for 2.5 years. but No ASD. I do think he might have something else going on, and his speech is still terrible, but yep, big surprise, can't get anyone to do anything about that either. they say he's fine. So I guess it's just us that have to ask him over and over again what he said. ugh.
He doesn't stop moving though, and I'm thinking of getting him something for his seat. I'm going to talk to the teacher at conferences and see if he moves a ton at school too.

My youngest.. oh Little Levi. He was diagnosed with Severe non verbal autism at just under 3 years old.

He's 4.5 now and in preschool. He does "talk" but it's mostly repetitive stuff, Echolalia they call it. He repeats things he's heard off tv and uses it in the way of communicating. For a long while he was obsessed with peppa pig, and everyting he said was with a British accent. lol He would freak out when DH wouldn't go somewhere with us and scream about daddy,(but would say, "we forgot teddy! because that is repeated alot in the cartoon) in a very British and proper kind of way. It was sad and funny all at the same time. He has since learned to speak a bit on his own, so now when we leave without daddy, he freaks out still, but now he will say? "No! Daddy!" as if we've forgotten him. He also calls things by their slogans.. Skittles are "taste the rainbow" for example.

He does communicate with us, but at 4.5 is just barely getting the hang of 1 step instructions, and it's hit or miss (got get your shoes may or may not work, but lets go byebye always works) he can't answer yes/no questions, he doesn't respond to his name and he can't do what you'd expect a normal 4.5 year old to do, He can't dress himself, he can't feed himself with a utensil and he also isn't nowhere near potty trained. I'm actually looking into insurance paid for diapers because he's outgrown all disposables and I was only on here today to sell off the last of his diapers that haven't been used in over 2 years. lol I just decided to stop by the old boards and see what was up. lol

thats about it.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 9 year old with severe non verbal as well. He will ask for something's with single words or show us. He has recently started scripting words. He use to script animal and other non sense noises. Buzz light year and nemo are still big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest son, his diagnosis has jumped around a good bit over the years but his last official diagnosis was right on the line between high functioning PDD NOS and Aspergers. He is 14.5 now. He was normal as an infant and early toddler, he spoke, made eye contact, walked, made friends (as much as toddlers make friends). At 18months he regressed, lost speech and eye contact, stopped sleeping and eating. He did not start speaking again until he was 3. It took me about a year to convince the doctor there was something wrong, he was initially diagnosed with brain damage. At 3 he entered the school system and his diagnosis changed to PDD NOS. He was non-verbal then but thanks to his ECI therapist he was able to sign. The school system was never effective in helping him but thanks to private therapy and alternative treatments we were able to bring him to a point where he eats (there are some things he doesn't but he is very typical in his food choices), talks, and behaves fairly typically. He was able to graduate therapy the first time at 8. He returned to OT and ST at 12 for several months but they were not able to help him as much at that time.

If you spend time with Kearnan it is easy to tell that he is different. His stutters but it is not a speech impediment it is an oral planning issue, he can't think about what he wants to say before he starts talking so he repeats entire words several times before saying the entire sentence. He also has echolalia but it is very complex. Almost his entire speech is made up of book, TV and Movie quotes but unless you have lived with him you would never know it, he fits it in so seamlessly that you never notice it. You would have to have watched and read everything he has watched and read. It is almost like a normal person quoting a TV show but he does it all of the time and not when it is appropriate. He also responds to the tv or completely copies it while it is on. He has limited internal monologue so whatever he thinks tends to come right out of his mouth. Some of his issues have been worse recently as he is going through puberty. He needs to bathe daily but he won't because he doesn't like to, it "feels bad" (he doesn't want to take the time) and he needs deoderant but he hates wearing it. So it is a constant struggle. He can't manage his time for things like school work (we home school) so there is a constant battle and the older he gets the more concern I have about his future though he should realistically be fine on his own one day. He does have SPD and major anxiety issues. He also has pituitary dwarfism.

My youngest is 10 and bipolar, ODD and anxiety. The biggest issue is that the two of them trigger each other a lot. My youngest thrives on activity and chaos, my oldest needs quiet and alone time.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
2+2macht4
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I have not posted any updates on teenie in a long time. He is 5 now, and we got the spd diagnosis last year and got him working with an occupational therapist whom he loves. However in working with him she came to the conclusion that while she does agree with the spd diagnosis there is something secondary going on, and with his preschool government exams they were also in agreement and say he needs intensive speech therapy. The symptoms we are dealing with they are labeling autism spectrum and will not yet do a formal diagnosis, which is problematic as I am struggling to get a spot in speech therapy without it, I am as of now on wait lists. His occupational therapist mentioned this week that there is a professor in freiburg who specializes in reviewing videos of children at younger ages so we will send some in she said that may help getting a diagnosis, I am also making an appointment in another city about an hour away with a pediatrician who as extensive experience with both spd and autism and see if he can help us in terms of diagnosis and additional resources like getting him a spot in speech therapy.

I am very new to this area I spent a few years informing myself about spd, but my understanding is certain behaviors such as they way he interacts with other problems working with others, lack of eye contact, significant speech problems, hand flapping, and certain behaviors in pattering items around him are what is pushing them in this direction. We have a whole other world going on with the spd and I am not really sure how to differentiate one from the other.

But that is where we are now. I am trying to work on informing myself, reaching out to doctors who can help us get the needed resources. We are doing the occupational therapy already as well as a sensory diet at home we have converted our loft into a sensory space including tumbling space for him. He has a weighted vest and she has suggested I start working with textured massage gloves and he is very sensitive to touch and textures as well as the feeling of moisture.

So in terms of asd, I am totally at the beginning of this journey. I almost feel the same as I did 2 to 3 years ago when I was fighting for the spd diagnosis while everyone said oh he will outgrow it, now we have a moron pediatrician saying he has adhd but the good news is we have the occupational therapist saying oh hey wait up a minute this is not the case. But I am worried you know, when you hear how hard it is to get a diagnosis, in germany at least its a very long process of observation we have not even begun, aside from the opinions of those who have worked with him, but of course they cannot make that diagnosis.

Last edited by 2+2macht4; 03-02-2016 at 04:33 PM.
2+2macht4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
2+2macht4
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

One major issue we are having at the moment is the little 3 year old trying to provoke him. Today he had huddled himself in a corner with cushions and the little one would come up close enough to the point he would react to leave him be, then he would run away and back again, its like he gets kicks on making his brother hysterical.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
Kterrellny
Registered Users

My daughter is now nearly 8, and was diagnosed at 6 with Aspergers (technically ASD, but Aspergers is more descriptive) and anxiety. At the moment the anxiety seems like the bigger challenge.
Kterrellny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #8
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kterrellny View Post
My daughter is now nearly 8, and was diagnosed at 6 with Aspergers (technically ASD, but Aspergers is more descriptive) and anxiety. At the moment the anxiety seems like the bigger challenge.
This is what I think of my 7 yo son. I know it's considered ASD now, but everything on Aspergers fits him to a tee and I just find it easier to think of it that way in my mind for some reason. He definitely has anxiety too.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
BlissfullMom888
Registered Users

My aspies are now officially adults! 18 and 20. For us it did NOT get easier as they got older. The teen years were brutal! They are both living at home, struggling to launch. They have learned a lot of skills and are both capable of independence but it's still a daily struggle. We have good days and bad. They are both amazing people and I hope to see them do great things.
BlissfullMom888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #10
Snfather
Registered Users

I have an severly autistic completely non verbal 8yo boy that also has ADHD and mild cp he still in diapers full time and i am actually looking for fluff for him that would work out
Snfather is offline   Reply With Quote