Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
familygal
Registered Users

Auditory Processing Disorder

I believe my 3 year old has auditory processing disorder. I intend to homeschool her and am wondering if anyone has some tips on some good activities/games/ideas on how to help her learning... At this point in time I want to work with her and not go automatically to a speech therapist...Anyone with some ideas that worked for you?

Thank You

Advertisement

familygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
multigrain
Registered Users
seller

Re: Auditory Processing Disorder

Just FYI auditory processing disorder can't really be diagnosed until around age 8, though obviously there are strategies for managing the symptoms at any age. What exactly are you concerned about? I can share some ideas.
multigrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
familygal
Registered Users

I just find that she seems to have trouble remembering things...like sequentially/speech... She knows all of her abc's when I point and ask what they are, but she for example cant sing the song... her speech I believe is delayed slightly. Also, when you ask her a question like a simple "why" question she will just repeat it to you "why" she cannot answer it (even though its a simple question)... she seems to be fine with following and understanding directions... but I am just wondering if there are games/activities/strategies to help with this?
Old 11-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
multigrain
Registered Users
seller

I don't mean to downplay your concerns in any way but not being able to answer why questions or recite the ABC song despite knowing the letters is completely normal for a 3-year old. Why is one of the hardest questions and even most 5-year olds do not answer that correctly all of the time. And many times parents will tell me at work (I evaluate for special education and work mostly with 3-4 year olds) that their child knows the ABCs, they will just sing a mashed up version of the tune and know a few letters if that.

Strategies for answering why questions:
- model the question and answer while reading (why is the girl sad? Because she dropped her ice cream cone)
- model the language in daily activities (why did mommy cut the carrot? To add to the salad)
- ask what/ who/ where questions to build mastery of those concepts before moving to when/ why/ how

For the ABC song concern: I would work on songs with finger plays before the ABC song. Itsy bitsy spider is great. Anything that has a movement to accompany the words will help build the concept. Then you can say the ABCs slowly while pointing to each letter before doing the song more quickly.
multigrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Rockinmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My dd has CAPD among some other issues and what you're describing seems age appropriate. As the previous poster pointed out CAPD really can't be diagnosed at that age. My dd was diagnosed at 9 and we had extensive neurological and auditory testing to diagnose it.

Last edited by Rockinmama24; 11-03-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Rockinmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #6
Futurefam
Registered Users

Central Auditory Processing (CAP) testing is usually done on kids at around age 6 and up in my area. The test is an extensive look into both hearing (tympanogram pressure test is conducted) and a test of the various auditory functions of the brain (booth listening with headphones and the ability to repeat back information they hear).
The speech/language pathologist testing is to distinguish cognitive/communication and speech/language factors that are often associated with a processing deficit and to suggest intervention strategies. So, it's a big long test!
It sounds like at her age, she may have problems with speech related to syntax order. I would invest in some language flash cards that focus on building up her speech. I also like everything multigrain said. Good luck.
Past: 7 children that have moved on...
Futurefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
familygal
Registered Users

alright thank you so much for your answers... I feel a bit more rested knowing what you have all said... I think its been pressure from grandparents thinking my child doesn't talk as much as she should... (often she is compared to her cousin who talked very early and clearly and also compared to my mil's friends grandkids)... it can be so frustrating when they worry ... because it makes me worry too..
Old 01-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #8
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmama24 View Post
My dd has CAPD among some other issues and what you're describing seems age appropriate. As the previous poster pointed out CAPD really can't be diagnosed at that age. My dd was diagnosed at 9 and we had extensive neurological and auditory testing to diagnose it.
Can you tell me about the neurological aspect of testing/diagnosis? My daughter has been tested 2x by a dr of audiology. She has 2 of the 4 areas of capd. It has been so difficult for me to get an understanding of this.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
Rockinmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy
Can you tell me about the neurological aspect of testing/diagnosis? My daughter has been tested 2x by a dr of audiology. She has 2 of the 4 areas of capd. It has been so difficult for me to get an understanding of this.
With my dd they did testing where the measured her brain waves as sounds were played into her ears. It was a totally passive test. She had 2 separate tests done.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My dd has auditory processing disorder and at the age of three she was still working on colors and following one step directions like get your shoes. She could not be officially diagnosed until age 7 we started guessing she had this when she was 6.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote