Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread Jan 23rd - 29th

So excited to say that our baby emergency fund is finished! We have $1000 in savings for the first time ever, and all the monthly bills are paid except for $96 in car insurance to come out on the 2nd, so we have $366 in checking to cover us until dh gets paid again on Feb 3rd. I'm so excited! After that paycheck we'll be able to send a big snowball check to the department of education and we'll be able to pay off that defaaulted student loan with our tax refund.

We're having a yard sale this Saturday and I'm weighing my options of what to do with that money: continue the snowball would be the obvious choice, but I also have the chance to have a student doula assist with my birth in May (a chance I've been praying for since I got pregnant with dd 2 years ago and just fell into my lap for my son) for only $200. Opinions?

Advertisement

LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
redsonja
Registered Users
seller

Nothing new for me really this week. We've been trying "no spend" and have been so so at it. Basically we haven't bought anything EXCEPT we went out to dinner with our friends on Saturday night. We spent our blow money for it, but it was still spending money so I feel yucky about it. We have until this Friday for the week and I'm glad because we're out of flour, rice, bread, and almost out of milk. School lunches are getting interesting!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nothing new here for this week. Just plugging along waiting for things to happen
Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, we've totally blown our budget this month. We've had several big stock up trips, and replenished a lot of stuff because we found some great sales. Like I now have 10 boxes of yogurt tubes in the freezer because DS loves them for breakfast on the way to school, and I found them for just $1.25 a box. So I have just way over spent. BUT I still haven't dipped into savings or anything because I have just pulled it from other catagories. So there's good and bad to it. I just have really been focused on healthy eating and buying tons of produce. Combine that with two major stock up trips and I'm about $200 over. But we'll manage. I think next month I may up my budget a bit. We've been at $300-350 a month I think we may go 400-450 next month so I don't have to stress when I go over.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleClaraLove View Post
So excited to say that our baby emergency fund is finished! We have $1000 in savings for the first time ever, and all the monthly bills are paid except for $96 in car insurance to come out on the 2nd, so we have $366 in checking to cover us until dh gets paid again on Feb 3rd. I'm so excited! After that paycheck we'll be able to send a big snowball check to the department of education and we'll be able to pay off that defaaulted student loan with our tax refund.

We're having a yard sale this Saturday and I'm weighing my options of what to do with that money: continue the snowball would be the obvious choice, but I also have the chance to have a student doula assist with my birth in May (a chance I've been praying for since I got pregnant with dd 2 years ago and just fell into my lap for my son) for only $200. Opinions?
Yay for the $1000 in savings. Great job!!

Not sure what I'd do about a doula. Do you think it would improve things for you a lot?

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
So I've been following Dave for almost 2 years and just now decided I should read Total Money Makeover. I bought it for my new kindle partly with swagbucks so it cost me all of $4, and if anyone wants to borrow it when I'm done, send me a PM. I know I can lend books, but I've only had the kindle for a few weeks so I'd have to figure out how.

Most of the stuff I knew, I've been listening to him for quite a while. However I didn't realize he advocates saving for a house down payment as part 2 of BS3 if you aren't already a homeowner. I was planning to make it part of our BS6. I'll have to think about that. We desperately want out of this house, it's in such bad shape, and my parents keep saying they're going to fix it up, but very little gets done. The rent is very cheap though, which makes it ideal for saving for a place of our own. But I also want to get going on retirement......decisions decisions. And one I'm going to have to make soon, as the FFEF is going to be half done by the end of the month unless murphy strikes.
As far as I know, none of Dave Ramsey's books are lendable on the Kindle. It needs to say "Lending: Enabled" on the book listing, and his do not. It's really a bummer and I don't know why he wouldn't encourage people to share with someone else.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

new here! we are on week 3 of the 13 weeks of his financial peace university.

We only have about $2,000 in debt(rent our house, no credit cards and cars paid off), which is a recent medical bill i got screwed on but when tax return hits the bank this week, that'll be paid for. plus we'll have the $1,000 for baby step one and the rest is going to be for paying for medical stuff for the new peanut! So we'll be done with step one AND two We're making our in depth budget this week, even though we already had a budget pretty similar i made in excel. we never go by it...hence taking the class...we NEED to learn to save!!

For step 3...does he recommend that money to be in a mutual fund? We haven't gotten there yet
Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
Yay for the $1000 in savings. Great job!!

Not sure what I'd do about a doula. Do you think it would improve things for you a lot?
I think it would make a MAJOR difference. I had my daughter in a hospital in Washington DC, a VERY pro-natural birth area, and had an incredible team to Drs and nurses encouraging me, along with, of course, my husband who I need to be able to concentrate on me. I am now in Arizona and delivering at a hospital with very mixed reviews on natural birth support. I will have my babies naturally barring any crazy circumstances, but because I'm high risk my perinatologist is very pushy and has actually told me that it would be in my best interest to "let the doctors do what they need to do. And if that includes an epidural and forceps, then so be it." I feel like having an extra voice of support for me, and a liason between me/dh and the nurses would probably be a lifesaver.

I just don't know if I can justify the $200 cost while we're in debt.
LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No time to catch up right now...but our goals for the week are to pay the bills and fund the er funds, plus set aside enough for meds and food. DH started his new job so we will have one very large check coming from the last employer for his pay plus his un-used vacation time. Then we will have a dry spell for over 3 weeks until he gets paid again.

I"m listing stuff again today and I did a meal plan. Then I"m going to work at least 30 hours a week on business related stuff so by the time our dry spell comes I can help fill in as I can...

Our short long term goals are to roll the extra vacation funds, the sign on bonus, tax refund and 3 paychecks in March all onto our van loan and knock it out with one payment!! So excited about that....Then we will clean up the medical bills that are very small balances and the kohls card. If we stay on track and the medical benefits at new job are as good....we should only have the large cc plus the 2nd mortgage by May!!!
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Well this is a long two weeks because we got paid on the 12th but not until the 31st. So we still have over a week until payday. That being said all the bills are paid for this month and i havent touched the $225 in ef. I have gone through our whole grocery budget so we are eating out of the pantry/freezer. This isn't so bad minus not having fresh fruit. We have canned though so we will make do. We are on a no out to eat challange yhis month but we did end up going to mcds on sat. I had packed a lunch for our day trip yo my dd1s choir festival but all i had made was sandwhiches. Well we ended up bringing home one of the boys and neither he nor my dd had eaten all day. It was 3 so we ran through mcds for them. It is a fail but considering i usually budget and $200 to out to eat/fast food a month and we only spent $15 im still happy. We are planning on extending our challenge for three months but only for fast food. That will take me through my pregnancy and if we do well we will make it a challenge for the year.
We did a 90 day no take out chanllenge last year, it was awesome and after the 90 days was up we didn't really want take out. we get it at most 1 time a month now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleClaraLove View Post

I remembe rhow great it felt to have that 1000 for the first time. It is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelino View Post
new here! we are on week 3 of the 13 weeks of his financial peace university.

We only have about $2,000 in debt(rent our house, no credit cards and cars paid off), which is a recent medical bill i got screwed on but when tax return hits the bank this week, that'll be paid for. plus we'll have the $1,000 for baby step one and the rest is going to be for paying for medical stuff for the new peanut! So we'll be done with step one AND two We're making our in depth budget this week, even though we already had a budget pretty similar i made in excel. we never go by it...hence taking the class...we NEED to learn to save!!

For step 3...does he recommend that money to be in a mutual fund? We haven't gotten there yet
Welcome!!!!!! As for BS 3 he recommends putting it in a high yield savings or a money market with check writing ability. He says that this money is for emergencies, not to make money off of so DON'T put it in a mutual fund. Keep it some where you can access it with out penalty
Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote