Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread Jan 23rd - 29th

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleClaraLove View Post
I think it would make a MAJOR difference. I had my daughter in a hospital in Washington DC, a VERY pro-natural birth area, and had an incredible team to Drs and nurses encouraging me, along with, of course, my husband who I need to be able to concentrate on me. I am now in Arizona and delivering at a hospital with very mixed reviews on natural birth support. I will have my babies naturally barring any crazy circumstances, but because I'm high risk my perinatologist is very pushy and has actually told me that it would be in my best interest to "let the doctors do what they need to do. And if that includes an epidural and forceps, then so be it." I feel like having an extra voice of support for me, and a liason between me/dh and the nurses would probably be a lifesaver.

I just don't know if I can justify the $200 cost while we're in debt.
I'd do it. It might save you medical costs in the long-run that you might incur if the "doctors do what they need to do."

Advertisement

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #22
kellis213
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi guys! I am new/returning....... I was here for a few months early last year, then found out we were expecting baby #5, and just kinda lost focus on the whole DR thing. )-: Well, we continued loosely with it, and then DH lost his job (of 5 yrs) in June of last year. Thankfully I work weekends as a nurse and was able to pick up a few extra shifts here and there and we survived.....our baby girl arrived a month early in September 2011 and is doing wonderfully. DH (thank you GOD!) got a new job in November (making $2.50 more per hr than his old job!!) and well, it's a new year and we are determined to get back into sticking to a budget and re-building the EF! I was just telling friends today that I need to get back into financial shape, make a budget and start on the envelope system again. Then, tonight when DH got home from work, he said he'd been talking to his stepdad and he had ask him if we were still doing the whole DR thing. DH said to me "we need to start that again, and do the cash in the envelopes thing!" Great minds think alike! So, we get paid again on Feb 3rd, so that is the official start date! And since last year, we have paid my mini van off, so we now have just one small car payment!!! (-:
Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a really unthrifty day today. We started our winter term of homeschool co-op and I totally forgot DS's lunch and DD's snack at home, so I split my lunch between them and figured I'd just eat when I got home at 1. Turned out, I locked my house key in the house and DH works 20ish miles from home in the opposite direction of our co-op... so about 35 miles from where I was-- and he was really busy today.

SO I had lunch out, and got both kids a snack while I was out because their lunches were light-- expecting to be home early. Then we walked along the road above the flooded river so we could look at it and check it out-- then we got hot chocolate because it was only 38 degrees. Then we went to the store to pass a little more time and I wound up buying snacks.

I am totally tired and done with today.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #24
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My goals for this month... we are trying to get current with all the bills. We've been paying the mortgage 2 weeks late (just in time to avoid the late fees) for a long time, so we decided to sell everything we could find and pay the mortgage on the 15th as usual and again on the first to get current. That meant scraping up an extra $850. We were making great progress until I realized that my car tag AND insurance is also due in February.
But... we've had pretty decent luck selling. My husband sold his riding lawn mower and I'm going to sell all my old jewelry. I think we're going to make it and still be able to pay all the other bills on time.
Once we can file taxes and get the refund, we'll fund our small EF, pay off the midwife, and put every cent that's leftover on the debt. I'm really excited!
Goals for the week...
1. Sell my scrap gold. I got an estimate for $660. WOOT!
2. Relist all the stuff that's sitting on Craigslist and maybe try ebay.
3. Short grocery run.

Quote:
We're having a yard sale this Saturday and I'm weighing my options of what to do with that money: continue the snowball would be the obvious choice, but I also have the chance to have a student doula assist with my birth in May (a chance I've been praying for since I got pregnant with dd 2 years ago and just fell into my lap for my son) for only $200. Opinions?
I'm a student MW (on sabbatical), and it bothers me that a student would expect to be paid while they are gaining experience, unless she's almost done with her certification. BUT....I'm a big believer in labor support for the ladies that want it. It really helps me to have someone rub my back and just be there with me. My husband is pretty awesome, but it helps to have someone that knows about birth.
I would try to negotiate with the student doula. She wants the experience as much as you want the labor support. Ask how many births she has actually attended and go from there. She's learning from YOU in this situation, and that is payment enough, although it would be really nice of you to cover any childcare expenses she might incur while at your birth.
But think about it...student nurses don't get paid. In fact, I can't think of any training position in which a student gets paid.
Off my soapbox!
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #25
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommelissa

I'm a student MW (on sabbatical), and it bothers me that a student would expect to be paid while they are gaining experience, unless she's almost done with her certification. BUT....I'm a big believer in labor support for the ladies that want it. It really helps me to have someone rub my back and just be there with me. My husband is pretty awesome, but it helps to have someone that knows about birth.
I would try to negotiate with the student doula. She wants the experience as much as you want the labor support. Ask how many births she has actually attended and go from there. She's learning from YOU in this situation, and that is payment enough, although it would be really nice of you to cover any childcare expenses she might incur while at your birth.
But think about it...student nurses don't get paid. In fact, I can't think of any training position in which a student gets paid.
Off my soapbox!
Thanks so much for that perspective! After discussing it again with dh, I think we have decided to forgo the doula option. We have so many other things that money can go towards and I'm on medicaid so saving potential medical expenses isn't even a factor. Thanks ladies for knocking some sense into me.
LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #26
amzasmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UGH. I over drew my act. I had like $6 in checking from this weekend until tomorrow. Should have been fine. We had groceries, gas, etc. We don't need a thing that can't wait till tomorrow.

Well, so had me pay ss tutor 2x. Apparently she held the checks and I forgot about them. Both went through yesterday. And apparently the bank raised the overdraft fees to $38 each time!

Guess I'll be revamping the budget to make up those fees.

Swagging for Amazon gift cards for DD toddler bed!
amzasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #27
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I rolled the money that we haven't used on groceries this month and have pretty much paid off my cc from the Christmas spending. Than I paid off dh's cc (gasoline mostly) so the checkbook has a zero balance. course than dh borrowed my cc to pay for avg and perhaps a turbo tax cd, I don't believe either of those items were written into the budget for the month..

Doing our best to stick to the strict budget this month. But next month we are going to have to include a few things like entertainment money so we can go on a date.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #28
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabekgirl
I rolled the money that we haven't used on groceries this month and have pretty much paid off my cc from the Christmas spending. Than I paid off dh's cc (gasoline mostly) so the checkbook has a zero balance. course than dh borrowed my cc to pay for avg and perhaps a turbo tax cd, I don't believe either of those items were written into the budget for the month..

Doing our best to stick to the strict budget this month. But next month we are going to have to include a few things like entertainment money so we can go on a date.
I put $50 each month in the budget for date night once a week. We go to cheap movie Tuesdays $4 each for new movies) plus a drink to share. We also sometimes go out to eat if we have a groupon or coupon. I feel this is important to our relationship. Its date night tonight. Woohoo. We are going to see underworld. No out to eat though.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
So excited to say that our baby emergency fund is finished! We have $1000 in savings for the first time ever, and all the monthly bills are paid except for $96 in car insurance to come out on the 2nd, so we have $366 in checking to cover us until dh gets paid again on Feb 3rd. I'm so excited! After that paycheck we'll be able to send a big snowball check to the department of education and we'll be able to pay off that defaaulted student loan with our tax refund.

We're having a yard sale this Saturday and I'm weighing my options of what to do with that money: continue the snowball would be the obvious choice, but I also have the chance to have a student doula assist with my birth in May (a chance I've been praying for since I got pregnant with dd 2 years ago and just fell into my lap for my son) for only $200. Opinions?
Personally, I would get a doula. $200 is a steal for one. I paid $1000 for mine, each time for the last 2 biths I had. Look into gettting another student who may be willing to work for free, just for the experience. Around here it is common for them to do their training births probono.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #30
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC

Personally, I would get a doula. $200 is a steal for one. I paid $1000 for mine, each time for the last 2 biths I had. Look into gettting another student who may be willing to work for free, just for the experience. Around here it is common for them to do their training births probono.
I dont understand the doula. I have had 3 out if 4 natural births and i am not sure what a doula would do that my dh didnt?

Not judging at all just not something i would spend any money on unless i didnt have a support system. Again maybe just because i dont understand their purpose
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote