Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
froggymiamore
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ibuprofen and 26 weeks pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Have you tried arnica? A chiropractor visit? You're probably out of alignment. mama, that stinks.
I know i'm out of alignment, but I haven't found a decent chiro out here where we moved that we can afford. These crazy people want $55 a visit!! I'm used to paying $20! I just cannot justify the $55 right now

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't do it either! I feel your pain... I just got over a sinus infection that lasted 22 horrific days. Tylenol didn't even take the edge off of the stabbing pain in my face At one point after being in constant pain for 2 weeks I just laid on the couch and cried to DH "if I could just take 2 Aleve I could feel better for 12 hours!" I didn't do it.... Find a chiro or massage therapist. So sorry, it is the worst thing about pregnancy for me!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have intermittent neck pain. Very severe, but only happens every couple of months. Best thing for it is Capsaicin cream. this stuff beats out heat and NSAIDS for me. Lots of different brand names, but capsaicin is the active ingredient. It's the chemical in peppers that makes them taste spicy, so it's perfectly safe to use while pregnant. Get a big dollop and rub it in well. You'll notice a heating sensation (sometimes very hot!) on the area where you apply it that will go away within 5-10 minutes. You can apply 1-3 times a day. I usually only need to apply it once or twice and rarely for more then 1 day before the pain is completely gone. Use gloves to apply it if you have any, and make sire to wash your hands REALLY WELL and keep your fingers away from your eyes/nose/mouth because it can make them burn too. I keep gloves around for working with raw meat and applying this stuff. It's awesome, I promise!
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
froggymiamore
Registered Users
seller

I'm thinking about those thermacare heat wrap thingies... Right now I'm trying alternating ice with heat (shower). Laying on ice right now, then going to shower and then back to ice. And yes, this is one thing I hate about pregnancy! I also need dental work done, but have to wait until I deliver.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I would call the ob as well. Sounds like you might need something other than a pain reliever.

ETA: Also, I took some ibuprofen when pg with ds4 under the supervision of my OB and there's only a short window of time it's allowed in your second trimester. Before the misinformation gets any further out of hand, it has to do with the heart valves and the risk that ibproferen can cause a premature closure of one of the heart vessels in the fetus.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 01-23-2012 at 02:40 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely call and ask your health care professional.

But don't take the Advil for sure.

I was so sick with a cold with DD2 - the little hanging thing in the back of my throat was so swollen that it was hanging down and resting on my tongue (and gaging me so much I was throwing up). I wanted that Advil so bad.

OB told me absolutely not.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
froggymiamore
Registered Users
seller

Yeah I knew about the premature heart valve closing. Just wish there was something I can do about this pain and swelling. Been laying on the loveseat with an ice pack and my water hoping for it to get better.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
I would call the ob as well. Sounds like you might need something other than a pain reliever.

ETA: Also, I took some ibuprofen when pg with ds4 under the supervision of my OB and there's only a short window of time it's allowed in your second trimester. Before the misinformation gets any further out of hand, it has to do with the heart valves and the risk that ibproferen can cause a premature closure of one of the heart vessels in the fetus.
My OB told me it can cause absorption of amniotic fluid. Who knows!

I think it's really a risk you have to weigh with yourself and your dr. I have taken Advil during pregnancy at some point. I guess I feel like going to the hospital and getting Morphine is just as risky or dangerous. I have heard many untrue things on here about pregnancy no-no's over the years so it's hard to say based on replies alone. I talked to my OB and she said once or twice is not a concern. But that was MY dr's opinion. I have taken high doses of NSAIDs after a car accident and to control heavy bleeding, like 800mg every 6hrs. That can cause serious problems. I took 400mg twice during my 2nd trimester for a bad headache and it worked well. Much better then letting it escalate to a full blown migraine and end up on 2 category C drugs in the ER which I've had to do in previous pregnancies.
But like anything, you should talk to your dr and go from there.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Before the misinformation gets any further out of hand, it has to do with the heart valves and the risk that ibproferen can cause a premature closure of one of the heart vessels in the fetus.
Up to about 29 weeks ibuprofen (as well as tylenol) is category b. After that it is category d. Take your extra strength dose mama.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ibuprofen is a class D during the 3rd trimester, so it might be better to ask your OB for something else.

But, newer research says it may not be very safe in earlier trimesters either. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...pregnant-women