Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
SAHM2Seven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
PLEASE READ, LOW Presterone

I went to my OB, a new one for me on Friday, and had my first labs done. They did a basic pregnancy test, and then drew a tube of blood to test my HCG levels, and my progesterone. They called me this morning and said my HCG levels seemed okay at 55600, but my progesterone was low at 9.4. I am between 9-10 weeks pregnant. She said my progesterone level should be around 20. They called in prog supplements and Im suppose to be taking 400 mg a day...one in the morning, one at lunch and 2 at bedtime until the end of my first trimester. I currently take some prescription meds and have been worried about them this whole pregnancy so far. Both my PCM and OB said the meds are okay. I am still breastfeeding my almost 3 yr old at night, and am wondering if the cause of my low level could be from breastfeeding, from being an older pregnant mom, I just turned 38 or if my body is trying to miscarry this baby. I dont want to take the supplements and help continue a pregnancy that isnt ment to be. I believe that the body will terminate what isn't right, and I dont want to take medication to help sustain a pregnancy not ment to be. Has anyone been in the same situation before? I read online that at around week 10 of pregnancy, the placenta starts to take over and nourish the baby, and so your progesterone levels arent as important to help sustain pregnancy...

Then onto the next thing, it says to NOT SMOKE while taking the progesterone. I do smoke, and have cut back ALOT since I found out I am pregnant, but I am still smoking. It says you can have increased risk of blood clot, stroke and heart attack while taking it, not only do I need to take it, but the pharmacist said it was a very high dose. Should I take it anyway, Im almost to the point that I dont need it, and Im not spotting, bleeding or cramping, so other then low levels, everything seems okay.

Im such a wreck today...ACK- any advice would be great!!!
Thank you ALL VERY MUCH!

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Kelly3139
Registered Users
seller

Re: PLEASE READ, LOW Presterone

I took Prometrium with my DD pregnancy from 6 weeks to 12 weeks. That is when it is considered that the placenta has fully taken over and it is safe to discontinue use. I do not feel that progesterone will sustain a pregnancy that is failing. If the baby is going to live it will do that regardless of the supplement. I took progesterone with my last pregnancy and still had a natural miscarriage. So the way I look at it is that it will only help.
Now with the risk of you being a smoker that is one decision you have to make on your own. Since you only have a few weeks will it help or hurt there is no way to really know. I think you just have to go with your gut feeling.
I think I would have miscarried my DD if it were not for the progesterone, but I was having lots of bleeding before the supplement. Good Luck!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

The I've talked to my OB about taking the supplements (I am just stoping taken them now) and if a the baby wasn't going to make it, would it hold everything in? or would my body naturally release if things go wrong.

She said if a miscarriage is going to happen nature will do it's thing when ready to release

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i would take it.

If you don't take it, and you lose the baby, will you feel guilty, like you could have saved it? I know I would. If you do take it, and you lose the baby, you'll know you did what you could with the knowledge you had, kwim? The body does not always miscarry b/c something is wrong with the baby. Sometimes it's b/c of a hormonal imbalance with the mom, which it may be your case., and sometimes it's just for unknown causes.

For the smoking...i know you know you should quit, so i won't say it. All progesterone type supplements, including birth controls that contain them, say not to smoke while taking b/c of those same risk.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well I can tell you I miscarried while taking progesterone! So if it isn't meant to be, it won't be just because you take progesterone. Maybe ask for a u/s to see a HB? If your 9-10 weeks that will make things sure it is viable. I did my progesterone vaginally 200mg in am and 200mg 12 hrs later. HTH!
I would take it. It isn't going to hurt anything. Low progesterone could be for a multitude of reasons. They really don't know for sure what causes it.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410
i would take it.

If you don't take it, and you lose the baby, will you feel guilty, like you could have saved it? I know I would. If you do take it, and you lose the baby, you'll know you did what you could with the knowledge you had, kwim? The body does not always miscarry b/c something is wrong with the baby. Sometimes it's b/c of a hormonal imbalance with the mom, which it may be your case., and sometimes it's just for unknown causes.

For the smoking...i know you know you should quit, so i won't say it. All progesterone type supplements, including birth controls that contain them, say not to smoke while taking b/c of those same risk.
My thoughts as well.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
-Blair-
Registered Users

Only around 50% of miscarriages are because something is actually wrong with the baby (anatomical or genetic).
This site is pretty interesting, you might poke around it. http://natural-fertility-info.com

I have PCOS and used Progesterone cream prior to becoming pregnant, and have continued to use it since finding out. We are monitoring my progesterone levels because my last two pregnancies have failed due to a lack of my body producing it. The babies were fine, it was my body that was not a hospitable place for them to be carried.

Currently struggling with infertility (recurrent pregnancy loss).
-Blair- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
SAHM2Seven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama's~!
My OB's office called me this morning, and I am going in for my scan at 10:45 tomorrow morning. I need to see that this baby is okay. What is so weird is that I have this bad feeling that something is not right. I have not been nearly as sick as I normally am. I know each pregnancy is different, I just pray that Im having an easier then normal pregnancy. If you all could just say a prayer for my me and little one, id really appriciate it.
I will update tomorrow when I get back...thanks for all the words..you mama's are the best!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

hope all comes back ok mama
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
SAHM2Seven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hi mama's-

I went and had my ultrasound done yesterday, and everything looked great! She checked my progesterone level during the u/s...she said she just measures how thick my lining is where the placenta is starting, and that it looked nice and thick..my cervix was nice and long, and baby's heartrate was 167. I measured a week ahead, which is nice, so I am 11 weeks 1 day as of yesterday...with a due date of Aug 14th. I can NOT believe i will be done with my first trimester next week..it has literally flown by!!!

Now onto the next. This is a new OB for me..after the u/s, I got to meet him for a few minutes, and I had alot of questions to ask him about my medications...he was the BIGGEST JERK ever...he told me I needed to stop taking my Paxil TODAY..I told him you can not just stop taking it, its a med you have to wean off of slowly, and that my PCM felt it was safe to keep me on it..Ive been on it for 8 yrs. and I tried many other meds before this one worked. Then I also take Percocet 10..2 tabs 3 times a day...for chronic pain..he didnt really care much about this, but I have HORRID migraines about 2-3 times a month, and the ONLY thing that works is Relpax, its an Eletriptan..he said nope..i said okay, what can you prescribe in its place? He said, well, normally id say Lortab or Percocet but your already on that...eyeroll..so I asked him again, and told him that Percocet normally would not help anyone with a migrane, that I needed a true "migraine medication"...he said I dont know what to tell you...normally I tell a patient not to take something, and they dont take it...its not usually this difficult!!!

I was almost in tears at this point bc he was dismissing everything I asked him...he didnt know the answer to anything and was being very rude. I even told him I was not trying to be difficult, but these are real issues I have, and I need to address them and get a plan of action..when I get migraines, I throw up, and can not move from my bed, i have to have heat packs or ice on my head, and be in a cool dark room...and id be this way for 24 hours..when I take my Relpax, within an hour, i am normal, and pain free.
When they got all my info a couple weeks ago, the nurse called me, and said the DR just didnt want me to take the Relpax in my first trimester...now he says not at all..then he said maybe i should go and print out some information on all these meds so you can read for YOURSELF EXACTLY what it will do to your baby...then maybe you'll make a decision to not take them.

I left his office so upset, and went to 3 other offices in the hosp to see about starting with a new practice, but everything is so difficult, and I have to get released from his practice, and alot of the other dr probably wouldnt take me on..thats what the office people were saying at the other OBs office..I guess as loyalty? So one of the other practices said she didnt like this DR either, but that there were 2 other DR in his practice, and she saw one of them, and he is really nice...so I guess I will do that.

Now I see why so many people opt to just have a homebirth...I am inviting this person to be a part of a very special time of my life, and this is soppose to be a happy time- I just hope the other DR is good...

Sorry this got so long, if you made it...thanks!