Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
ICAN meetings?

So ICAN just opened a brand-new chapter in my area, and I'm planning on going this Thursday. So what can I expect at an ICAN meeting?

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Cortney
Registered Users
seller

Re: ICAN meetings?

It depends on the coordinator/leader. Most will give birth stories of VBAC moms. Sometimes a guest speaker.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: ICAN meetings?

Funny to see this post, I *just* got back from an ICAN meeting tonight! Our chapter is only a year old so its pretty young. I've been there from the first meeting.

The chapter leader will introduce herself (assuming female here, its mostly a female world in ICAN), pass around a sign up sheet, probably start with ICAN's mission statement, explain why she started up her own chapter, she may want to go around the room and do introductions...there may be a topic on the meeting which includes some information, and at the end of each meeting (I don't know about the first one) they have a support group if you want to join (they usually put a few chairs in a circle in the corner of the room) where whoever wants to share anything (a birth story, etc) can. Its pretty low key, casual, and you don't have to say a thing if you don't want to.

Once the chapter gets more organized (officers of the advisory council elected), there will be a lending library of books/videos other resources you can check out. New chapters are also really poor, they have no money, and their bigger focuses will be on fundraising, how members can help, and also ways to start connecting with OBs and midwives in the area, form good relationships, and eventually start up a fund where they can help those who need financial assistance pay for doulas, etc.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm sad because I miss my ICAN girls in Nashville. We don't have a chapter here, and I really don't think I'm up to starting one.