Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
bartsgirl
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy Can't stop scratching--miserable

Hi ladies. I am just plain miserable right now. This all started in November. I woke up right before Thanksgiving with a pale pink what I guess I'd call hive/rash from under my chin up to my eyes. It was very itchy. I used hydrocortisone cream and after a few days it went away. I had another occurrence 3 weeks ago. My gp said she thought it was an allergic reaction of some sort. My OB old me to start taking a daily dose of Zyrtec.

I started my progesterone shots on the 16th and this itch hasn't stopped since then. I am worried that I am allergic to my hormones or something. Now, not only is my face and neck severely itchy, but my hands are too. I am constantly battling now to scratch my skin off.

Any of you experienced this? I have no idea what is going on...

Advertisement

bartsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Re: Can't stop scratching--miserable

Is it bumps? I have these weird red looking bumps on my hands, and elbows that itch like crazy, I end up bleeding I am itching so bad. I have also tried Zyrtec but it didn't help. I'd tell your OB again, but it may not be related.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not sure, but with ds1 I had some itching, which in retrospect, I think, was due to my skin stretching...I gained a ton of weight!

but I was concerned about this, and ordered some liver function tests to rule out this:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...pregnancy.html

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Oh great. Dr Google. (Now I think I have that)
Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
bartsgirl
Registered Users
seller

Honestly I think I am just having a reaction to the additional progesterone in my system. My OB said he thought it was just a weird pregnancy reaction. I read the warnings on my Makena and it said that some patients can have hives and itching. My first shot was 2 weeks ago and it seems to coincide. I am afraid that I am just going to have to suck it up since I have 16 more shots.

As for the cholestasis, I don't think that's it because this stated on my face and then went to my hands. My GP ran blood work the first time, so I'll have to check to see if she checked my liver function.

Thanks for your thoughts ladies. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
bartsgirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921 View Post
Is it bumps? I have these weird red looking bumps on my hands, and elbows that itch like crazy, I end up bleeding I am itching so bad. I have also tried Zyrtec but it didn't help. I'd tell your OB again, but it may not be related.
No mine isn't bumps...actually it is hardly noticable at all. It is slightly pink and a little thick on my face, but on my hands you can't hardly see it at all. It is just so itchy!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I believe I had a bit of Choleostasis with DS, and am super worried that I'll get it this time. I have liver disease so I have higher risk.

Since the hydrocortisone seems to help I doubt it's anything to do with your liver. Choleostasis typically doesn't react to creams or medicines, high dose steroids maybe.

Did your doctor give you any ideas of how to help the itching? Is the progesterone a must? Can you try a lower dose? I'd just keep pushing your doctor for some kind of rememdy. Feel better soon!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
bartsgirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
I believe I had a bit of Choleostasis with DS, and am super worried that I'll get it this time. I have liver disease so I have higher risk.

Since the hydrocortisone seems to help I doubt it's anything to do with your liver. Choleostasis typically doesn't react to creams or medicines, high dose steroids maybe.

Did your doctor give you any ideas of how to help the itching? Is the progesterone a must? Can you try a lower dose? I'd just keep pushing your doctor for some kind of rememdy. Feel better soon!
I gave birth to DS at 34 weeks, so in my mind the progesterone is a must in case it can help prevent another preemie birth. Even this torturous itching is worth a full term baby to me. My OB has recommended Zyrtec, so I"m off to pick some up in a few minutes.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

I would try Bio oil. IF that does not work maybe an anti itch RX is available.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Could it be PUPPS?