Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #31
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

Re: I can't stand when people say...

It's really pretty silly because no one go hmm which do I like more job or kids job or kids. I know kids I think I'll go back to work. That's just not what you're weighing.

Advertisement

hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #32
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

You know, I bet these people don't realize what they are insinuating by saying things like that. I'm a natural born smart butt so I'd respond with something like, "Oh, well I don't like my kids at all so I'd rather spend my time at work." Hopefully, they'll realize how ridiculous their statement is.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #33
mamma_z
Registered Users

I agree that it could be a little annoying to hear that remark, but I don't think it's intended to hurt/pass judgement. I think many women feel guilty about staying at home and not doing as much out-of-home work--I know I do when I consider leaving my job, even though it means I'd be working harder at home to take care of the kids and save as much money as possible by gardening, cooking, sewing, etc.

Of course everybody loves their kids more, and they are aware of that. They don't want to diminish the importance of others' work outside the home, so when they decide not to work they use the most obvious explanation. I think what they mean to say is, "This job is important, but luckily I can stay at home to do something I think you would agree is more important to me personally." KWIM?
mamma_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #34
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for all the input! It's fun to see everyone's thoughts. I agree that I don't think this is said meaning to pass judgement or anything. That being said, my co-worker that's pregnant (I mentioned her in the original post) was down in my cube the other day and talking about stuff and she was talking about if she'll come back and all that and she looked me in they eye and said it again..."I love this job, but I just really think I'm going to love my kid more". I just stared at her thinking she would realize her statement (I have pics of DS all over my cube), but she didn't. I swear she just doesn't think sometimes. I did go on to say how much I love my son but how I work because I have to. Oh well...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #35
kandy_kyd_rabit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I literally make double my husbands salary. I would love to quit and be a SAHM until my daughter would go to kindergarten then I would go back to work. Not because I think being a SAHM would be easier but because I would love to spend this time with my daughter! I have gone over our budget more than enough times and the fact is we absolutely cannot pay the mortgage, HOA fee, water, electric, car payment, cell phone and groceries on his salary. That is not including luxuries like cable, internet, clothing, gas or entertainment. Just necessities. If HE was to quit we could possibly do it... but that doesn't help ME stay home with my daughter lol. I did give him the option but he opted out. Our family health insurance is also through my job so we would also not be covered there. We are finally decided to start trying for another baby because we figured we can afford daycare for another child ^_^ If my DH had my job I could totally stay home, but its just not the case. Oh well, I do like my job and I look forward to the weekend like nobody's business haha
kandy_kyd_rabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #36
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguisgirl View Post
I think it is ALL tough for sure. The pressures on the SAHM or the working mom are all high and it isn't like either mom gets much "me" time. I could see how staying at home could be isolating. I think because I have many friends from when I used to home school that I haven't experienced that. In my close group of friends I am one of the only ones that work. There are so many women in my region that stay at home and that definitely makes SAH better.
I am actually homeschooling now too and because of this, I have met so many friends this year. It does help rather than just being a sahm of small children.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What really irks me about these kinds of statements is that they make the assumption that women don't need to work in general. Like being a wohm is just for fun (unlike the men, who work for real, to bring home the bacon).

Obviously working has nothing to do with loving your kids, and kids and work are not comparable. I love my work, and I love my kids. Even if I didn't love my work, I would still need to have a job. And actually, I think I am a better mom than I would be if I were a sahm. But it has nothing to do with loving or not loving my kids, and certainly not more or less than my job.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #38
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What really irks me about these kinds of statements is that they make the assumption that women don't need to work in general. Like being a wohm is just for fun (unlike the men, who work for real, to bring home the bacon).

Obviously working has nothing to do with loving your kids, and kids and work are not comparable. I love my work, and I love my kids. Even if I didn't love my work, I would still need to have a job. And actually, I think I am a better mom than I would be if I were a sahm. But it has nothing to do with loving or not loving my kids, and certainly not more or less than my job.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #39
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood: