Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

moms of skinny babies

How much do you fuss over your baby's weight? In general we like to let things work out on their own and go with minimal medical intervention. But her doctor seems concerned.

She's 9 months old and just weighed in at 15lbs and 29" tall. In 3 months she's gained a pound, and grown 2.5 inches. She started out at 95th percentile and that has steadily gone down.

He's running a blood test to see if there's anemia or any potential lead contamination from our older house. He wants me to bring her back in a month and keep a food log. I've always had borderline iron levels.

She's hitting all her milestones and doing great. She's a great sleeper, great appetite, happy, social, busy, etc... She's coordinated and on track to be an early walker. She has 3 teeth, and is working on some of those sounds and syllables. There aren't any health or development concerns in any other area.

So is this anything to worry about? Aren't breastfed babies slim? I'm not a worrier, especially since everything else seems on track. I really like this doctor and his approach, although I was quite shocked when he recommend flouride supplements for her.

She gets 2 formula bottles a day (4oz), and breastfeeds the rest of the time as much as she needs. She samples adult foods and has a great appetite, she's never turned down anything (she made yucky faces for avocado but kept eating it). She also eats at least 2 meals a day of finger and pureed food mostly fruits/veggies/grains. She eats a lot and I just let her eat until she seems done. She can down a whole banana followed by 4oz of yams and a bunch of finger foods.

Advertisement

Last edited by mrspopo; 01-23-2012 at 05:23 PM.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: moms of skinny babies

If she's walking we found that to be normal and were told that the slowdown is normal. I wouldn't worry too much but I'd watch it. You might want to increase the 4 oz bottles to 6 oz. We kept on healthy foods and did as much as wanted even though we got advice to go on a heavy fat diet (I didn't want to start the habits that young or at least till 2-3). To me, you are doing everything "right" so don't worry about it. If you are doing cereals put formula or breast milk vs. water as that has the extra nutrition. All of the sudden a little after two, my son is packing on the pounds so she may catch up but a little later (but he's very very active).
Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just checked my spreadsheet. My twins were 16lbs10oz & 16lbs15oz at 9 months. They each gained 1.5lbs between their 6 month and 9 month check up. They were both EBF (and very limited amount of solids). Our peditrician never was concerned about their weights as long as they stayed on their curve. My DD 'fell off her curve' between her 12month and 15 month check up but was back on it at 18months. Some babies are just smaller!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD has always been low. She never went over 25% on the chart for her weight. Fell off around 15 months. She has been pretty consistent with her weight. I never worried about it. Her doc wanted us to work on gaining weight around 15 months and we tried- it didn't work. Since I was always small we just let it go. Her current doc isn't concerned with her low weight or bmi because its nothing new.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Look at your genetics. ODD was barely 19 lbs at a year. She was in the 95th percentile for height. Formula fed, and solids. Ate a lot. She gained 3 lbs between 6-12 months. That's it. 3 lbs.

When my husband and I got married, he was 140 lbs at over 6 ft tall. ODD is built just like him.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD was 90% for height but 20% weight at her 15mos appt the other day. That put her at not quite 10% overall (she was 5% overall at 12mos) Dr not worried and said nothing wrong with tall and skinny! She was 19lbs at 12mois and 21.5 at 15mos. sorry NAK
Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Fusion
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS was 95% at birth and is now 15-20%. As long as they are healthy and active and eating there really is no cause for concern. . . Sounds like your pedi is being overly cautious.

Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My girls are on the bottom of the charts. My youngest was about that weight at 9 months and 18 pounds at a year. Their pediatrician isn't worried because he knows that dh and I were small as kids and I am really skinny. They are just following genetics. They were never 95% but they did go down in percentiles from birth but they always gained in both height and weight. It common for breastfed babies to fall on the charts since they were based on formula fed babies and the growth patterns are a little different.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My doctor was fine with the fact that my daughter weighed 16lbs at 12 months and that she hadn't doubled her 9lb birth weight; yep my daughter only gained 7lbs in her first year and then she gained only 5lb in her second year.
As long as she is getting good nutrition and is meeting milestones I wouldn't worry too much. My daughter is now 6.5 and just hit 40lbs; she is smaller than her 4.5 year old brother but she is strong and healthy. My doctor used to say "not everyone can be above the 50% tile nor do we always want them to be"
Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
RastaBaby
Registered Users

My Mood:
DS is 8months and 17.5lbs...First I get flamed for not substituting with formula and cereal, then it became an issue when he sprouted his first teeth at 7months (too late they say) and a family member always has to comment on his weight. The pedi hasn't mentioned anything so I'm not worried. Babys just aren't all the same...
RastaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote