Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you think it'd cost and ideas on room makeovers

Yes! Keep the ideas coming, mamas!

I think I am going for a color scheme more than a themed room, figuring we could easily switch out little things over repainting and buying new bedding. I'm torn between pink/green combo for the girl room and pink/purple combo right now. Pink/green would be easier since we've already got the green walls and white/green curtains. But DD is now on a purple kick and we do have some purple Tinkerbell furniture of hers we could put in there.

The boy room is harder for me. I know I don't want red. Just not a fan of the color and I'm terrified of red paint, lol. I know I want a road painted along the wall as a fun border for DS to roll his cars and trucks around on. And that's about it! I already have some green/brown camo bedding from when my oldest had a themed room that I could use...but DS isn't really into camo so I dunno.

Advertisement

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
Our boys share a room (and a full-size bed, because they both love to co-sleep but DH and I want our space now!). Their room was painted light blue as soon as we moved in pre-babies, because I figured it would work well for either gender. We did a sailboat theme but didn't go overboard (no pun intended :-) so as to be able to easily change it down the road. The colors are blues (royal and navy) and red. Their bedding is solid colors (flannel for winter and regular cotton for summer) in various shades of blue. I got their sheets in single packs on clearance, because it was sooooo much cheaper than a sheet set. Their pillow cases are sailboat themed and were a gift from a friend. Otherwise they would be solid too. They have a down comforter and a solid red blanket. Their window valances are solid blue with tab tops that I made from shirt cuffs. When I was pregnant with DS1 we knew he was a boy, and so I made a crib quilt and bumper out of men's shirts that I got at SalAl and Goodwill. They have nautical-themed hooks on the wall, a large sailboat on a shelf, and pictures of each of them wearing a sailor's uniform when they were babies. DS1's dresser is painted blue and I painted little boats on the wooden knobs. Their book shelf is painted the same color blue. Throw pillows and simple thrift-store accessories tie it all together. By keeping the bedding and walls generic, we can easily change to another theme just by switching out the accessories. Plus, it never looked baby-ish and would work equally well for a tween.

I have pics in my Photobucket I think... Standby...

They are on Flickr:

sailboat shelf
hooks and sailor outfits
quilt
bumper
valance
pocket organizer

The pics were taken a couple years ago - DS2 isn't that little anymore! The changing pad is gone and there is a lamp in its place that looks like a ship's lantern, cost me $3.99 brand new, and they have another sailboat lamp on the other side of the room that has a little sailboat for a base. The pocket organizer was made from the shirt pockets that were leftover from the crib bedding. Neither of them ever used the crib, but we bought a whole nursery set (crib, armoire, changing table/hutch, crib that converts to full-size bed) so we are using it all, just with the crib converted to a headboard (left the footboard off). Their windows have pull-down room darkening shades that were there when we bought the house 7 years ago.
LOVE your boy room! I think the organizer is genius, too!

Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Ok, I've been google searching rooms and I think I'm definitely going to make the girl room a fairy/butterfly room. DD loves fairies and we have a Tinkerbell plush chair and a table/chair set that could go in there for her (which are purple). So I'll do fairy/butterfly accessories, but I still want to keep the bedding and paint non-themed. I'm picturing a very soft room with a magical feel. I'll probably change out the curtains for some gauzy type.

It is 10000 times easier to create a girl's room in my head than a boy's one! Maybe I'll stick with the camo bedding we have and make him a fort in the corner. When my oldest had the bedding, he had bunk beds. I bought some brown fabric to match the camo and made him curtains for the bunk beds so that the bottom was covered up. I could use that extra fabric to make a fort of some kind for a corner of the room for DS2...hmm...he's just more into cars and trucks than camo or anything, so I don't know how to incorporate that into a camo theme for him.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
captainmomma
Registered Users

I found butterflies at the dollar store in various colours and sizes for the wall! She loves them! You could also hang them from the ceiling too.

Have you looked at the thrift store for an old mirror (if you still want one)? I found a great oval one for $5 and painted the gold frame sliver instead and love it.
captainmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmomma View Post
I found butterflies at the dollar store in various colours and sizes for the wall! She loves them! You could also hang them from the ceiling too.

Have you looked at the thrift store for an old mirror (if you still want one)? I found a great oval one for $5 and painted the gold frame sliver instead and love it.
Ooh, I'll have to check my dollar store - thanks! Which one was it? We have Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Dollar Tree.

We do have a Big Lots here that has LOTS of framed mirrors for cheap. I could totally get one of those and paint the frame and maybe add little glass beads or felt butterflies to it or something to pretty it up a little!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:20 AM   #16
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I re-did our 10x10 room right before the baby was born. Cost about $100 for new paint. The old wood floor was pretty beat up so we laid new laminate on top of it for around $200. Spent another $50 or so on all the little things that came up like wood filler. We already own most of the tools and things needed. I was able to salvage and refinish the original 1950 wood trim and baseboards.

I did splurge $250 for a complete closet set with drawers and everything since I'm sick of closets that have no place to put things!

I went with a zanzibar jungle theme baby set. It was $80 on craigslist and had tons of accessories and many of the main items had doubles. So the duplicate things I re-sold on craigslist for $40. I'm not creative or a designer, but I was impressed with one of the items included in the. 2 large wood picture frames that each had a picture of a jungle animal (a computer print out), set on a tiki mat thing in the frame. It took me a while to realize it was homemade and looks so cute.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #17
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

In DD1's nursery I had my younger sister paint her name really big on the wall You could do the name in just a solid color and add decals to match any theme or just have the name. It was my favorite part of her room. My sister lives pretty far away now so I can't do it in the girls rooms in the new house but I've got wooden letters that I'm adding scrap book paper to and spelling their names with them.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
libbyl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall

I would really like to do a pink/green girly theme for the girl room. I'd like to do a little dress up corner somehow. A mirror, maybe a little table and chair. Hooks on the wall for dresses and things. A bucket or two for other non-hanging dress up stuff. eta: Their room is already green, so I was thinking of painting either the top or bottom halves of the walls in pink and leaving the rest green. eta: Well, it might be pink and purple for the girl room. DD was up late and saw me browsing bedding and is telling me she HAS to have purple!

The boy room I see in a blue and white or blue and brown. I think it'd be cute to have a chair-rail height road border all the way around for the cars and trucks to ride on. I see a little play tent in there, too. We actually already have it, but I've yet to get it out because we're maxed on space in the toy room.

We'll still have the toyroom for most of their stuff, so we won't have to keep all of their toys in their rooms right now.
I would keep the green walls, get the light airy curtains you were thinking of, get a couple hooks (either basic silver for a couple bucks each, or something girly for a bit more) to hang on the wall for the dress up clothes. We have down comforters that we can get new duvet covers for over time and as tastes change... Not sure how much they are normally, but we have a Company Store outlet here and I waited for their 60 percent off pricing, so they werent badly priced. You could get lavender/purple comforters which would look cute with the green (and put duvet covers on later if they no longer like purple.

In my older sons room we have a road border! The lower part of his wall is dark blue, and the upper part is sky blue, with the black road painted around the room with white road lines. He has had this room since he was 1 1/2, ( he is now 6), and he has never gotten into driving his cars around on it, which was my thought and hope too..... It does look cute though. Plaid for boys bedding is very neutral and lasts a long time.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We redid our boy's room (2 and 4 years old) when we were expectin #3. We got two tall dressers (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40053930/), a 8 bin organizer turned longways (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103086/), a 4 bin bookshelf (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20135300/), two kid chairs (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10116552/), and bunk beds (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10123996/) from Ikea. I made their pillowcases (fleece with satin binding) and comforters (fleece on one side, soft and comfy on the other with satin binding). My 4 year old loves dogs so he got dogs on his comforter and my 2 year old loves monkeys so that is what he got. I found fleece that had similar colors so their beds go together but don't match exactly.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dont have pics, but i did my kids rooms pretty cheap. we just did them about 2 mo ago when we moved into our house. my daughters room is a girl bug room. one wall is bright bright yellow and the other 3 are a little lighter yellow. i hung a sun light in the middle of her ceiling and put a green shag rug down. her bedding is ladybugs and red/whight gingham. her curtains are bright but light green with ladybugs, dragonflies and butterflys with a red/white gingham bottom. she has a doll bed with the same bedding as her curtains. she has a large blow up ladybug on her floor, and butterflys on her walls.

my sons room is an outdoor room. he has frog bedding with a giant leaf canopy over it. he has green swirrlish curtains. he has the same sun light and green shag rug. his walls are blue, one real dark and 3 lighter. he also has a blue tent. its a real tent, but kid size. i absolutely love their rooms. a lot of the decor (sun light, grass rugs, ladybug blowup thing, leaf) all come from ikea, so pretty cheap. i wish i had pics to show! im very proud of them