Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

picnic table as dining room table

we are moving in a week and our new dining room doesn't work well for our current table, nor does our current table work well for our family, but, I also don't want to spend a bunch on a table because I'm not the type of person to tell the kids they can't do this or that on the table, but it needs to be sturdy enough for 5 kids, so I need something sturdy, affordable, fits 7, but won't look yucky to guests, if I just get the standard picnic table from home depot and stain in dark and put a clear coat on it, do you think it will look funny in our dining room? I've seen a few pics online but I don't really want to paint it a color, like I've seen, its not really our "style" but the kids don't allow us to really have a style. Right now we have a kitchen nook, but its too small for me and my husband to sit at unless we cram all in there arm to arm.I was going to put a chair at each end of the picnic table for 2 more seats. I was hoping to find some kind of table cover but so far can only find red picnic checks....I just need to bounce the idea off a few other people before I run it by my husband.

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
akhwbj1
Registered Users
seller

A family friend has 10 kids plus the 2 parents and they have an extra large picnic table stained dark. It looks great in their house.
akhwbj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: picnic table as dining room table

How about something cheap like these?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Hom...g-Set/10670901

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Hom...tural/15382786

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Hom...ining/10670900

(walmart has a bunch of others online)
Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
I actually have an email out to someone on craigslist to someone selling that first table, but I haven't heard back yet so I don't know if it will pan out.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
nichey
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would be scouring Craigslist. Do you live near an Ikea? What about those tables that Costco sells (I always thing of them as "church tables").

However, it could look really cute to do the picnic table, especially if you sanded it very well. I would be bothered by the gaps in the surface of a picnic table because it makes it hard to write on. You could probably very easily make your own cover for it if you sew at all.
nichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second the gaps issue. You can do a really thrifty (and big) table by just making 4 legs out of 4 by 4's, some 2 by 4 supports, and then some plywood and trim or thin boards all pieced together for the top. Scour Goodwill for chairs (all mismatched) and paint them the same color. I think this is awesome for big families, and if you look through her blog post or photo stream you can see the frame of it, and how they made it. Plus I love all of the mismatched chairs, painted teal. Totally wouldn't work for my DH but teal is an awesome color.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

I was concerned about the gaps as well, not only for writing/homework, for for food particles the kids dropped in there....I thought of covering it with a layer of glass, but I think that would make no longer thrifty...
Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
nichey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
I second the gaps issue. You can do a really thrifty (and big) table by just making 4 legs out of 4 by 4's, some 2 by 4 supports, and then some plywood and trim or thin boards all pieced together for the top. Scour Goodwill for chairs (all mismatched) and paint them the same color. I think this is awesome for big families, and if you look through her blog post or photo stream you can see the frame of it, and how they made it. Plus I love all of the mismatched chairs, painted teal. Totally wouldn't work for my DH but teal is an awesome color.
That table setup is awesome. The textured tabletop would still drive me crazy. I love my 70's hand-me-down laminate fake-wood table, what it lacks in beauty it makes up for in smooth writing surfaces.
nichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

OP - I think that a picnic table would look really cute as a dining table, stained and coated. You could make a table cloth or even get a regular rectangle shaped one from the dollar store. If it's too long, you could always pin it under so it didn't bug your legs. I do think the gaps would eventually get annoying for a dining table.

What about using a door as the table top and adding some nice stained 4x4's as legs? Here are a couple of pics of some nice ones. I've always loved the look and had this in mind before I saw the one linked below by Green Decals. And bench seating would allow more butts at each side of the table. I love the mismatched wooden chair look myself.

Table with benches
Table with glass piece for top
Another door table
Awesomeness
Mismatched chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
That table is flippin perfect and exactly my style! I pinned it on my Pinterest board and might be able to talk DH into it someday. The one we have is a nice wood set, but the fabric on the chairs needs reupholstered and I'd like it a little longer so we don't have to squeeze together so much. Hmm, I still like the door table, so maybe I can talk him into doing one of them for a coffee table or office desk and the other as a dining table.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!

Last edited by Rainfall; 01-27-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
I would LOVE a picnic table as a kitchen table. Or a huge farmhouse table made with pallets and benches instead of chairs.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum