Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

beginner knitter wanting to buy wool yarn...

Me! I finally got my knitting down and am ready to knit some longies, but am clueless about what kind of wool yarn to buy. There are literally hundreds that pop up in the Etsy search, and on Google there is such a wide variety, wide price range, etc... I'm so confused! I also couldn't find any at my local Walmart, but that's the only place I looked at IRL.

1. What do you look for when buying good quality yarn?
I know it's better to get 100% wool and worsted.
2. Is there anywhere local that sells yarn that you knitters would actually use?
3. Any other info and SPAM welcome I am a total newbie with this.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
HGrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: beginner knitter wanting to buy wool yarn...

Welcome to the dark side of knitting and buying yarn I gues what I'd ask first, to help narrow it down for you:

-how old is your baby? are you more interested in soft wool that may pill some? or to have sturdier wool that may not be AS soft but won't pill? (important if you have an immobile baby vs a crawler vs a walker)
-what would you like to keep your price range at? You can find skeins starting under $10 or can go as high as around $20-25. Depends on type of yarn, if its hand-dyed, etc. But if you know what you're willing to spend, it can cut down the vast amount of options
Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Have you looked for a local yarn store? You could start there. Otherwise, just **** ashby worsted weight, 100% wool yarn would do. I'd stay away from those that say 100% merino wool, usually that is just Patons/Fisherman's wool, IME.

Using my DS app, please excuse the lack of proofreading.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
tanabanana81
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most of the wool that's best to use for cloth diaper covers can be found on Hyena Cart. http://hyenacart.com/

you can type in "yarn" into the search box and pull up a bunch of listings.

There are many varieties of wool yarn that you can use and some will be more suited to your child. Using our store as an example. - http://hyenacart.com/onestore.php?vid=4017&category=4

Any base that is listed as superwash is best used for tops like sweaters, hats. It doesn't make the best cover for cloth diapers because it isn't as waterproof.

The Licorice Twist bases are good for the summertime and lightweight tops. As a cloth diaper cover you'll find that you have to swap them out more often because its a thinner yarn. (DK weight)

The Gaia bases (worsted, aran, and bulky) are wonderful for covers, and very very soft. Although you may want to avoid these if you have a very active child because it will pill pretty easily.

Blackberry Ridge and Mountain Meadow are good for covers and great for their ease of care. I never have to shave garments made from this wool.

We just stocked the whole store yesterday http://hyenacart.com/stores/serendipitycongo/ and there are auctions up for some of our listings that end on Monday so you may be able to snag a good deal.
tanabanana81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGrace View Post
Welcome to the dark side of knitting and buying yarn I gues what I'd ask first, to help narrow it down for you:

-how old is your baby? are you more interested in soft wool that may pill some? or to have sturdier wool that may not be AS soft but won't pill? (important if you have an immobile baby vs a crawler vs a walker)
-what would you like to keep your price range at? You can find skeins starting under $10 or can go as high as around $20-25. Depends on type of yarn, if its hand-dyed, etc. But if you know what you're willing to spend, it can cut down the vast amount of options
She is 6 months and crawling, so I guess more sturdy yarn. How do I know if it is more soft/sturdy, other than the description given?

I'm spending my bday money on yarn, so right now I have a bit to spend But, under normal circumstances, I'd rather like to not spend too much. (Let's hope and pray I don't get addicted like I am with CD's. I don't want to get out of control with yarn.)

To narrow it down, i guess I need sturdy yarn, I can splurge on price (depending on how much I need), and pretty girly colors.

I'm about to check out those links now, thanks!
Skybaby712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I <3 patons.

There. I said it

I think its plenty soft, not uber baby soft, but I have boys. 6m and 3. Its $7 at the craft store. And there is a coupon pretty much every month so I can knit $3.50 shorties. Win for me!

BUT I wont pretend I dont oogle the fancy yarns
Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Look at Tanya distracting me with yarn auctions.. tut tut.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
HGrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybaby712 View Post
She is 6 months and crawling, so I guess more sturdy yarn. How do I know if it is more soft/sturdy, other than the description given?

I'm spending my bday money on yarn, so right now I have a bit to spend But, under normal circumstances, I'd rather like to not spend too much. (Let's hope and pray I don't get addicted like I am with CD's. I don't want to get out of control with yarn.)

To narrow it down, i guess I need sturdy yarn, I can splurge on price (depending on how much I need), and pretty girly colors.

I'm about to check out those links now, thanks!
Just like tanabanana said, you'll know by the type of yarn listed...you probably want to look for mountain meadow (also called mmw or mmr for short) or blackberry ridge merino (bbr for short) because they'll not felt or pill as easily as your gaia's or bfl's. the mmw or bbr has a mroe cottony soft feel, instead of a silky soft feel. FWIW, once my dd started walking I started using gaia and bfl again because I love how soft they are And I don't mind shaving them every once in a while!

I would def check out hyenacart over etsy, just for ease of finding yarn. One place you can look is http://hyenacart.com/stores/Spots_corner/ for yarn people are selling..you can often get it a good amount cheaper! Just click "yarn" under the title at the top and you'll only have to look through yarn then.

and if you have specific colors your interested in, you should just post here what you are looking for, and I know there's plenty of us here who will help you yarn shop and provide you with some links
Old 01-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also Kayise can dye you inexpensive wool. She does a great job!

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #10
bugnbear
Registered Users
seller
seller

I also have to second bbr or mmw also I love cestari, bbr has become a fave of mine as of lately though, the yardage is insane! Out of two 4oz skeins I knit a 4t sweater for my daughter and had leftovers

My partners in Yarn loft (in my siggie) just stocked yarn and there's worsted weight yarn available