Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Help me nurse thru this pregnancy!

I have tried to breastfeed through 2 other pregnancies without success. I last about 4-ish months and then my skin crawls, my legs get restless and I want to freak out. This time, I am determined! I got through the pain of the beginning, no problem. It's the agitation stage that I am having trouble with. My son is almost 21 months old and I am 21 weeks pregnant. Please tell me the agitation stops soon? I know my milk is pretty much gone (and I am trying to get donor milk from eats on feets bc I want him to have breastmilk for 2 yrs at minimum), but it doesn't hurt, it just annoys the heck out of me. DH or I can touch my nipples and it's fine, but not the toddler! Sometimes it's ok, but others, I want to scream. We nurse to bed and nap and upon waking in the am, sometimes after nap and maybe 1 other time. I don't want him to forget how, I really would like to tandem, at least until he is ready to wean. I have thought about breaking out my hypnobabies stuff and listening to that on my phone when he nurses. I try to read, talk, watch tv, bite my hand (lol) and nothing works at the times when I am feeling edgy. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me nurse thru this pregnancy!

Think it's awesome you're determined to make it through. This pregnancy was my first with a nursing toddler and I didn't make it very long as my aversion was so strong. It was hard on DD but she was only a few months shy of 3, I would feel more strongly as you do with an LO at 21 months.

What are things you do to relax at other times of frustration?

I found that breathing slowly a deeply helped and trying my best to space out and think about something else!

What about a time limit? So that you know there's an end. You may find yourself watching the clock but may help get you through it.

Not sure but I would think that if LO wants to start up nursing again with your baby is here, LO could quickly remember how it works Or you could start pumping when your supply comes in.

Also may want to consider if tandem nursing may also irritate you and the emotions toward nursing your toddler and postpartum emotions may get overwhelming. In which case weaning during pregnancy would be easier on you and LO to have a slow weaning now. But I understand you wanted your LO to continue having milk for a little while longer. Another website for getting breast milk is http://www.onlythebreast.com/

Perhaps when you begin to feel aggitated, stop the session and take a breather before letting LO nurse again. Sounds like you already have boundaries as far as when LO is nursing so it's not sneak attack around the clock nursing.

Sorry not a huge help, but some ideas. Interested in what some other mamas respond with

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

you were a huge help, thank you!
what do I do at other times to relax when I am frustrated? Hmmm, haven't found anything yet, lol. Except a super hot bath!
I will say, "ok we are just gonna nurse for a minute!" and I haven't followed "don't offer, don't refuse" bc sometimes I do refuse :/.
I don't think it will bug me to tandem. When my 2nd was born, I had weaned my 1st 4 mo before and he started up again, but randomly and lost interest and it didn't bug me when he nursed. When my 3rd tried again after my 4th was born, he had no clue how to do it (he was 19-20 mo at weaning and 24 mo at DS3's birth), he tried and couldn't latch deep enough so gave up soon after. DS5 doesn't have to tandem if he doesn't want to, but I want it to be his/our decision, not mine, kwim? Plus, my milk always takes 4-5 days to come in, so I hope this speeds it up!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My agitation stopped around 18 weeks... Unfortunately my supply then suddenly dropped and dd didn't want to nurse anymore,

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect
Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
schellebo
Registered Users
seller

I had just a couple to few weeks that I was agitated. I am now 27 weeks and it doesn't bother me anymore, but I am a little sore again.
schellebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the same problem. In all honesty, I don't think that it's good to force yourself to nurse if you're having a hard time with it. I really feel that it's a defense mechanism for your body and the new baby. You can feed the toddler other nutritious foods, but the baby inside can only get what is being provided by your body, which is depleted if you are nursing also. Something has to give.
I hated weaning my daughter at 21/22 months, but I provide raw cows milk, cod liver oil, grass-fed butter, and other foods that help me feel better about her not nursing. And I know that the unborn baby is getting what he needs also.
I trust my body to direct me, and weaning was just better for us.