Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #21
CAaddict
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
Lime-hard water will be found in regions that have a high level of limestone in the ground. Fl is a great example. You will get a scaley lime residue on showerheads, ect. Iron will make the water taste a little bit like you cut your lip. Blood has high iron is why I say this. You can have orange/rusty stains in the tub or under your outdoor fawcet. Ther is also a bacteria that loves iron that can leave this staining. Like for example, our last home. We had high levels of lime and the iron bacteria. I was able to use bleach with much success because our iron levels weren't too high. If it is high, with bleach you can get rusty looking stains on cloths. We HAD to use either calgon with the detergent or borax with it to get the water soft enough for the detergent to work properly. Our neighbor had a more shallow well and had super high iron levels. So bad, her hair was orange. Our well was really deep and you couldn't even smell the rotten eggs/sulpher like all of the neighbors couuld. Yea, Fl has nasty water!
You will just add the softner to the detergent. The box will have exact instructions. Now calgon really targets lime. It won't remove the existing buildup, but will prevent further setteling of the mineral/s on the materials being washed. Their website is full of awsome info!
The additaves you listed sounded just fine to me. I have always used oxy and spray stain treaters.
Do you have a dispencing drawer or one in a tl'er? What kind of washer is it?
I have never noticed a problem with our regular laundry, but when I added bleach to my diaper laundry, I got funky orangish laundry tabs/Aplix on my BG AIOs! No other part is stained--could this be from iron in our water? And what can I do to get it out? I was looking to destash my smalls soon as DS has nearly outgrown them, but with this rusty looking Aplix I'm not sure I'd have much luck :/

Advertisement

CAaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
Mamasmurf1981
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hard water

Its just a top loading older kind of washer....and I up way up north US so i think its more of an iron hard water, however, we actually DO have really good quality water here its been tested. Just no water softener. It doesn't stain our sinks or bathtubs really and im not avery frequent scrubber! I don't use a dispensing drawer, just throw the stuff in when the water is filling.

Do the bright coloerd diapers bleed onto their white inners if using HOT water for clean?
Mamasmurf1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #23
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is the aplix replaced? All of our original is still white. It's our replaced ones that have really yellowed, so disapointed! I nolonger have hard water, kinda soft now. I read a while back where a bunch of other momas had the same thing happen to their replaced aplix. If you don't notice any of the other signs of hard water, I'd think you have normal water. We're all just stuck with yellow aplix now. I wonder if bg is using a different aplix brand or something? Sorry hun for not having a better answer!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #24
Mamasmurf1981
Registered Users
seller

its ok! actually am anxiously waiting for my dipes ive not received any yet!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf1981 View Post
Its just a top loading older kind of washer....and I up way up north US so i think its more of an iron hard water, however, we actually DO have really good quality water here its been tested. Just no water softener. It doesn't stain our sinks or bathtubs really and im not avery frequent scrubber! I don't use a dispensing drawer, just throw the stuff in when the water is filling.

Do the bright coloerd diapers bleed onto their white inners if using HOT water for clean?
I'd say you will be just fine adding it to the appropriate cycle. That's what I used to do. Toss in the oxy/detergent/softner during the washing cycle. You should be good to go!

If you have new diapers, you may have bleeding. I have never had new, so am not sure. I know our cloths do because I wash everything in hot. Hot works much better. I use the shout color catching sheets for normal laundry when something new is in the load.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #26
CAaddict
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
Is the aplix replaced? All of our original is still white. It's our replaced ones that have really yellowed, so disapointed! I nolonger have hard water, kinda soft now. I read a while back where a bunch of other momas had the same thing happen to their replaced aplix. If you don't notice any of the other signs of hard water, I'd think you have normal water. We're all just stuck with yellow aplix now. I wonder if bg is using a different aplix brand or something? Sorry hun for not having a better answer!
It is original Aplix! These diapers were new six months ago. Darn!
CAaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #27
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh man. I really would contact them then. I am seriously wondering if there is a change in the aplix!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #28
Mamasmurf1981
Registered Users
seller

i have been told cold water for stains else they set in???
Old 01-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #29
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard that as well. I believe that's mainly for protein stains like blood. I have never had staining. But, I bleach and use the tide or dropps.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have super hard well water and I've never had rust stains on anything. I also use vinegar on my clothes with every wash as fabric softener, and I've never had a problem with odors, but maybe it is different with dirty diapers? I haven't washed dirty diapers yet.

We also had super hard city water at our last house, caused by iron (our shower would turn orange between cleanings), and I NEVER in 20 years of living on my own had rust stains on my clothing.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote